Author Topic: Lookup for St Kilda Cemetery Memorial Inscription  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Shadwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Lookup for St Kilda Cemetery Memorial Inscription
« on: Tuesday 06 November 07 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I'd be very grateful to anyone who may have a transcription of an MI for Elizabeth GARCIA, died September 1881 and buried at St Kilda Cemetery, Melbourne.
Kind regards
Garcia, Willcox, Amy, Mitchell

Offline mrmagoo460

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup for St Kilda Cemetery Memorial Inscription
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 November 07 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Shadwell contacted me via pm and a search on the St.Kilda Cem. Memorial Inscriptions was not successful.

cheers,

Magoo
All census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shadwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 November 07 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Magoo  :).  I've contacted the cemetery in the hope of finding the plot when I visit Melbourne - even if there is no headstone, it will be meaningful.  Appreciate your time.

Offline Shadwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 November 07 09:06 GMT (UK) »
At first search, St Kilda could not find Elizabeth GARCIA, but kindly looked again when I pointed out the name was often misspelt.  They found her in their records as Elizabeth GRACIE Wesleyan - Monumental Grave in the same grave as two burials about 50 years later, namely John EDWARDS and Sarah Ann EDWARDS.  I'd be grateful if Magoo could have another look please for an MI for Elizabeth GRACIE (GARCIA).  Kind regards

Offline Shadwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 08:52 GMT (UK) »
I left the cool climate of New Zealand and in last weekend's Melbourne heat  found my ancestor's 1881 grave at St Kilda Cemetery, but no inscription for her - Elizabeth Garcia (mispelt in cemetery records as Gracie).  Two other people, by the name of Edwards, were buried in the site about 50 years after her.  The grave has the inscription "Edwards" with the site number 388 etched in it.  It is in section C Wesleyan.

My eldest daughter, who lives In Melbourne now, Elizabeth's great-great-great granddaughter was first to find the grave.  No doubt we were the first visitors in 125 years. 

Thanks to all who helped and the nice person from Springvale Botanical Cemetery.

Shadwell 

Offline mrmagoo460

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Glad your trip to Melbourne was a success despite no Inscription. You're a bit closer to completing the puzzle.

All the best and good luck,

Magoo
All census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk