Author Topic: Marriage George Morden Brighton 1878  (Read 4737 times)

Offline nedroma

• RootsChat Extra
  • All Census information is Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Marriage George Morden Brighton 1878
« on: Tuesday 06 November 07 12:54 GMT (UK) »
I think he married either Mary Ann Bonner or Rosa Johnson. However I cannot find any conclusive evidence in the 1881 census to confirm which one he married. I would welcome any suggestions of other places to look having tried the IGI and Ancestry.co.uk.
Morden - london area; Turner - London area;Hubbard -essex(thorpe le soken); Price - London area

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage George Morden Brighton 1878
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nedroma,

Where and when was he born? Maybe we can find him in 1891  :)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Like you, I couldnt find the Mordens on the Brighton census of 1881, nor could I find any local mention of the other male of the foursome (William Nation) who was shown on the same page of the Brighton marriage index. 

What I did find was one infant birth and two infant deaths that in some way may tie in with with your Morden family, for it confirms that someone with that surname was in the town between 1879 & 1881.
Ann Isabelle Morden was born in Brighton in the March quarter of 1879 and died in the June quarter of the same year.
A young William Morden's birth in Brighton is not indexed but in the December quarter of 1881 (at an age of zero) he also died in Brighton.
Although a Samuel, Harry and Emma were born in Brighton in the 10 years after after 1881, there were no other Morden births for 10 years prior to 1879.

It would therefore seem that this couple may have slipped past the census enumerator in 1881, hopfully he was more dilligent 10 years later.

Roy G

Offline nedroma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Roy G and tati

Thank you for your interest - I am currently pursuing some family folklore without knowing for certain when or where George was born and in the course of that discovered the Brighton marriage and was hoping that Census information would then give me some further leads

Like you I have tried every combination I can think of for the 4 names on the same page both in 1881 and 1891 with no result in which I could place  any confidence.

However I have discovered before at least one marriage in another connection where the actual spouse was not on the same page and so was beginning to think that maybe Rosa Johnson and Mary Ann Bonner were false leads.

There are no George Morden births in Sussex as far as I can discover, so he was not a local man, although there is a Brighton birth of a Sarah Ann Bonner . Mordens tend to come predominantly from the London area. I wonder if he or they were trying not to be noticed?

I think on this occasion I will just have to buy the Certificate!

Alan Morden
Morden - london area; Turner - London area;Hubbard -essex(thorpe le soken); Price - London area

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 21:50 GMT (UK) »
It may be another of those false trails, but FreeBMD gives a 42 year old Samuel GEORGE Morden as dying in Brighton in 1900.

Furthermore, the 1901 census gives the following children, Emma, Louisa and Albert with the surname MORDIN in Brighton, all with no adult with that surname caring for them.
The births of all the above children have already appeared in Freebmd for Brighton under the Morden surname.

It therefore looks like there were some orphaned Morden children in the Parish workhouse at Elm Grove, or the Warren Farm Industrial school near the race course.

Perhaps someone could check those out for you

Roy G

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy,

This seems to be the family in 1891 - wife Annie

RG12/809 24 41
Brighton, Sussex
25 Pk Cresct Road

George Morden, head, 33, Tailor
Annie, wife, 30
George, son, 6, scholar
Emma, dau, 8 mo

All born Brighton 

:)

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 07:48 GMT (UK) »
1901 - RG13; Piece: 925; Folio: 100; Page: 24
16 Pevensey Road, Brighton
Mary A GREEN, head mar 40, Laundress, born Sussex, Brighton
Emma MORDEN, dau 10, born ditto
Louisa MORDEN, dau 9, born ditto
Albert MORDEN, son 5, born ditto

Mary Ann BONNER would appear to be the wife, remarried to a GREEN??

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nedroma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all - lots of leads for me now to follow up.

What is still strange is that everything points to a George/Samuel Morden being born somewhere around 1858  in Brighton - but - as far as I can see the indexes between 1856 and 1860 contain no birth for a George and/or Samuel in that period or indeed a birth of any Morden in Brighton or Sussex.

Alan Morden

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Found Mary Ann earlier as well if you wanted it.

Mary Ann BONNER was born Brighton Sep qtr 1860.
Daughter of Isabella BONNER, who was born Sep 1837 in Leeds, Yorkshire. Baptised 5 Nov 1837 as Bel BONNER, dau of Frederic and Ann. In 1861 as Bell BONNER aged 23 - RG9; Piece: 595; Folio: 7; Page: 7

In 1871 Mary Ann was with her mother in Brighton, but called Annie GIBBS, aged 11 - RG10; Piece: 1080; Folio: 24; Page: 41. Isabella's mother and brother were with them as well. Bel BONNER married William GIBBS at Brighton 1872.

The Bonners were in Brighton in 1851 as well.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk