Author Topic: Marriage George Morden Brighton 1878  (Read 4732 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage George Morden Brighton 1878
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan
It all seems to be coming together for you for you may have already noted that one of the earliest born childeren was also an Isabelle

Births Mar 1879 Morden  Ann Isabele    Brighton  2b 241   
Births Sep 1884 Morden  Samuel George     Brighton  2b 213   
Births Sep 1887 MORDEN  Harry     Brighton  2b 225   
Births Sep 1890 Morden  Emma     Brighton  2b 240   
Births Mar 1892 Morden  Louisa     Brighton  2b 239   
----------------------------------------
This family seems to have also had their fair share of deaths though.

Deaths Jun 1879 Morden  Ann Isabel  0  Brighton  2b 152   
Deaths Dec 1881   Morden  William  0  Brighton  2b 125   
Deaths Mar 1890  Morden  Harry  2  Brighton  2b 184   
Deaths Mar 1900  Morden  Samuel George  42  Brighton  2b 184   

Re Mary or Annies almost immediate remarriage
As for there being no record of a remarriage of Mary Ann (Gibbs/Bonner/Morden) or an 1858 birth for George on freeBMD, I think I had better point out that Hove and Preston (both just over a mile away from Brighton) came under the district of Steyning, and many of that districts records have yet to be included on the indexes.  You may therefore find an entry in the Steyning records, or a baptism in St Andrews in Hove or St Peters in Preston village.

By the way, in the search I also came across a Morton family in Brighton.  Have you (or any of your other interested R/Chatters) checked Samuel/George out under that surname on the earlier censuses?

Roy G
Post script
Glad the kids weren't in the Workhouse or Industrial school after all.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 November 07 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Possibility that Annies maiden name may have been misheard or transcribed badly.
Check out Bourne instead of Bonner.

Marriages in Brighton March quarter 1901 
BOURNE  Annie    Brighton  2b 313   
GREEN  Harry George     Brighton  2b 313

Was Harry George Green not with his family on the day of the 1901 census?
Roy G 

Offline chrismd

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 July 11 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Have just joined Rootschat and found this old message.  George Morden married Mary Ann Bonner 25th March 1878 at the time he was in the Army 17/21 Hussars.  His father named on marriage certificate is Clarence no trace ever found so far of a Clarence Morden born in Sussex.  1881 census he was a police constable and they were living at 48 Regent Street Brighton - census transcribed as Marden instead of Morden and dates of birth wrong as well. 1891 he was a tailor.  Mary Ann was then called Annie, George died 1900 and was called Samuel George.  Altogether there were 9 children not all registered. Samuel George always known as George, Emily then called Emma, Louisa - went to Australia, Albert (my grandfather) and Rose born after George died and presumably the man named Green was her father.  Mary Ann married again in 1921 to a Richard King and gave her age as 10 years younger than she was, she was by this time known as Anne she died in 1930

Offline LisaBM

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 January 18 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Many years on from your post, but did you find any more on George. Albert is my great grandfather, and it is said he hated his stepfather who was a King by name- Green comes from nowhere and is a bit of an oddity.