Author Topic: Garlick & Dady, Lancashire to British Columbia  (Read 5157 times)

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Garlick & Dady, Lancashire to British Columbia
« on: Wednesday 07 November 07 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to track down more information on my GG aunt, Emily Dady and husband Joseph William Garlick.

Emily was born in Southport, Lancs in 1880, and all evidence seems to point to Joseph also being from Southport, though the couple married in Vancouver.

I had always had trouble reading his surname in the family bible, and today managed to find their marriage on the BC archive website that confirmed his surname as Garlick.

I found a Joseph Garlick in the 1911 census in Vancouver aged 28, lodging with a family named Harrison. Unfortunately, this doesn't give his birthplace or occupation. No record of him in Canada in 1901.

On 5th Aug 1910 a Joseph Garlick aged 28 arrived at Quebec on the Tunisian, destination British Columbia. If I'm reading the page correctly, I think it says he was a gardener. I am struggling to read all of the data, though, as the handwriting is appalling. There's a stamp after his name saying British B**** ****** No idea what is says, but would love to know!

I've found death records:

Emily Garlick. 20th Oct 1939. Vancouver. Aged 57
Joseph William Garlick. 28th May 1971. Victoria. Aged 89

The age and occupation seems to match one Joseph William Garlick, born 1882 in Southport, son of John Garlick and Ann Porter (Joseph's stepmother was named Zillah Taylor). In 1901 John was a nurseryman & florist & his sons were gardeners, including Joseph.

I'm sure that this is the same person, especially when you consider that Emily Dady was also from Southport.

I can't find Emily's emigration to Canada, nor do I know how to find out if they had any children or anything else about their lives in Canada. I would also love to find anyone descended from this couple, as I have a lot of family history to share on all branches of the Dady family.

Emily's siblings William Dady and Elizabeth (by then named Sawyer) also emigrated to Canada.

If anyone can help, or has any links to this family, I'd love to know

Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Clausen; Denmark, Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Marshall, Rimmer, Howard, Johnson, Jackson; Southport
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Small; Barbados, Liverpool
Murray; West Indies, Liverpool
Williams; Africa, Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Garlick & Dady, Lancashire to British Columbia
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 16:01 GMT (UK) »
The stamp probably says "British Bonus Allowed" or something along those lines - it was money given to the steamship booking agents for each "appropriate" immigrant they sent to Canada:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/genealogy/022-908.001-e.html
(my Belgian relatives were stamped "Continental Bonus" which worked much the same way).

Where were you looking at the 1911 census? The full image does list him as a Florist (place of work: 'nursery'), immigrated 1910, religion CoE.  Two of the other lodgers are also listed as florist/at nursery and were probably his coworkers.  (You have to scroll across to the right to see all the extra details, they do give quite a lot although the enumerator's handwriting is fairly bad).

http://www.findmypast.com/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action has a female E. Dady heading to Canada in 1912, age only given as "adult".

http://www.raogk.org/bcolumbia.htm - find someone here who does public record lookups and you can get the marriage/death records for a much lower price than they charge on the website. (ETA: You might also be able to ask for an obituary lookup as well).

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/COMMSVCS/NONMARKETOPERATIONS/MOUNTAINVIEW/burials/ga-gn.htm - here's where they're buried, in Mountain View cemetery, Vancouver.  There are some others named Garlick there also who might be relatives.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I had just realised that there's a PDF of the 1911 census and was going through it as you replied, I had thought it was just a simple transcription of the basic data. This certainly seems to confirm him as John's son, as floristry wasn't one of the more common occupations at the time (or even now, I suppose!).

Thank you so much for the burial information. This certainly confirms that the 2 deaths I found are of the right couple, as their burial plots have the same reference numbe and the dates match those in the death index. I'm not sure what the connection is to the other Garlicks in the same place:

I've found the ages of the deaths in the BC archive:

Frederick Garlick 16 Apr 1911 (aged 0). He predates the marriage and Joseph was not married in the census
Hubert Morris Garlick 12 May 1940 (aged 40).
Mary Julia Garlick (same burial ref as Hubert) 20 Nov 1948 (aged 75)... presumably Hubert's mother
Samuel Garlick 21 Nov 1959 (aged 67)

The only siblings I know of for Joseph are:

Margaret 1874, Ann 1875, Ambrose 1876, John Thomas c1880, (Joseph 1882) Alexander c1883 and a half-sister, Alice c1895.

Joseph's mother was dead by 1901, named Ann and his stepmother was Zillah... so I can't see a close link to any of the other Garlicks amongst those burials, but I'd like to think these Garlicks are connected.
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Small; Barbados, Liverpool
Murray; West Indies, Liverpool
Williams; Africa, Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 16:50 GMT (UK) »
It appears Hubert Morris Garlick was born in 1899 (freebmd), you can see him on the 1901 census with parents Thomas W and Mary J in Leicestershire.  It looks like he went to Canada in 1910, along with various family members - they're in the 1911 census in Saskatchewan.  Possibly a red herring - an obituary would hopefully sort them all out.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 November 07 03:33 GMT (UK) »
There are quite a few "Garlick's" mentioned on this site.

British Columbia Cemetery Finding Aid
http://www.islandnet.com/cgi-bin/ms2/rsd/search

Mountainview Cemetery
Joseph & Emily as well as others
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/NONMARKETOPERATIONS/MOUNTAINVIEW/burials/ga-gn.htm

Main Page for Mountainview
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/NONMARKETOPERATIONS/MOUNTAINVIEW/index.htm

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 November 07 03:54 GMT (UK) »
This link has someone searching for Garlick family members
http://knowhere.co.uk/board/kb533/threads.html?start=180

Could this be Emily's brother living in Toronto, Ontario?

World War 1 - Attestation Papers
(signed in Toronto, Ontario)
http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc002/276584a.gif
http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc002/276584b.gif

Janice

Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline JDC

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • In the dog house again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 November 07 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

You might want  to contact the cemetery administrator to get some info on these family members as well as others. That happened to me when I contacted the cemetery administrator where my g-granperents are buried - she gave me info on a half dozen others i didn't know about.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline jfremont

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 November 07 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Have you obtained the death records from BC Vital Statistics. If not, the BC records show quite a lot of info depending on what the informant knew and may be worthwhile to get. If you haven't obtained them, list out the ones you would like and I will visit the local library and obtain them for you.

John

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 November 07 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Wow, yes... those papers are for my William Dady. I have found a few papers relating to him, but not these. He travelled to North America from Southport at least twice, and one one occasion, when going to Canada via New York on the Mauretania in May 1910, put his mother's address as his nearest relative where she was living with her daughter and grandson,  my grandfather.

It's amazing to have an exact address for him.

He married Emma Fay in Toronto in 1912, and we have some photos of Dady family with kids there, but not 100% sure which sibling & family those are of. I don't know anything about any children.

I know my way around British records so well.. but am a bit lost when in comes to Canadian resources.

I will look into the cemetery possibility for further info.

Regarding the BC vital records. At the moment the only ones I know of that definitely relate to my folk are:

Vital Event Marriage Registration

Groom Name:     Joseph William Garlick
   Bride Name:     Emily Dady

Event Date:     1912 8 14 (Yr/Mo/Day)
   Event Place:    Vancouver

Reg. Number:    1912-09-069103
   B.C. Archives Microfilm Number:  B11376
   GSU Microfilm Number: 1983704

Vital Event Death Registration

Name:     Emily Garlick

Event Date:     1939 10 20 (Yr/Mo/Day)
   Event Place:    Vancouver

Reg. Number:    1939-09-563558
   B.C. Archives Microfilm Number:  B13166
   GSU Microfilm Number: 1953626

Vital Event Death Registration

Name:     Joseph William Garlick

Event Date:     1971 5 28 (Yr/Mo/Day)
   Event Place:    Victoria

Reg. Number:    1971-09-007823
   B.C. Archives Microfilm Number:  B13310
   GSU Microfilm Number: 2034218

I would be eternally grateful for any lookups, but would fully understand if that was too much to ask.... if you needed anything from Liverpool in return, you only have to ask (or any lookups on UK/Lancashire resources)

Thank you all for your help.

Impy
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool