Author Topic: Garlick & Dady, Lancashire to British Columbia  (Read 5156 times)

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Garlick & Dady, Lancashire to British Columbia
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 November 07 10:06 GMT (UK) »
I've found the scan of Emily Dady's passenger record, and it gives more information:

(I can't read much from the columns at the top, but get the gist from the data given)

Emily Dady aged 30 "to be married". J Garlick. Destination: (think it says) Vancouver. Occupation: Manageress. Intended occupation - hard to read but includes "wife".

In 1901, Emily and her sister, Susannah (my G grandmother) were assistants at a toy bazaar (I think in Southport Market). Susannah was already married by 1912, and my grandfather was 3, but Emily could well have been managing it by then.

The children of the family were:
Elizabeth A (later married Richard Sawyer and moved to Toronto)
Susannah (married John Hodge and remained in Southport)
Henry (married Belle (unknown) remained in Southport. He had 2 children, including Henry 1908-1987 who my father knew well, though sadly I don't recall ever meeting him. Henry jr is the one who passed on the family bible to my Dad
Emily (emigrated to Vancouver to marry Joseph Garlick)
William (moved to Toronto and married Emma Fay)

They must have had adventuring in the genes, as their father (also Henry) had joined the circus as a boy after his mother died, remaining with it for at least 15 years as an ostler before settling in Southport as a cab driver for William Johnson. He married William's daughter, Susannah.

On a completely different issue... the links you guys have put me onto led me to do a check for my Hodge relatives who emigrated, as my g grandfather's cousin, George Thomas Hodge moved to Stisted, Ontario. His brother's obituary says that George had moved to the Muskoka Lakes after reading the "Red Indian romances of Fenimore Cooper" which were eagerly read by youths in the monthly parts in "The Leisure Hour". George was determined to live as far as possible from the taint of civilisation.

I have long known that George married in Southport and took his wife and young family to Stisted, later being joined by his brother-in-law, Miles Blundell. George & family returned some years later when his wife contracted TB, being nursed until her death by her sisters. George then remarried and returned with his family to Stisted. What I've now discovered is that it seems George was a "home child", sent there at 17, as I have found a George T Hodge in 1872 aged 17 from Liverpool. He married in Southport in 1876, so clearly returned home. We know he and his siblings were treated cruelly by their stepmother. Was she instrumental in his departure, or... as a young man still falling into the catagory of child... did George volunteer? Their father was not without means, so it wasn't financially pressing that a child be sent away.

I do have quite a bit on the Hodges and Blundells (George's daughter, Elizabeth, married her cousin, James Blundell in Stisted), as I found some photos, papers & research in Southport library from George's brother and descendants which included a Canadian tree to the 1960s (though never found any living descendants of these to share the family history with).

Anyway, I digress... I was just really excited at finding this gem.... now I have to go off and learn a bit more about "Home Children"

Thank you so much to all of you who have been so helpful. What a wonderful bunch of people the Canadians are (and also very tall, in my experience!! I met Barenaked Ladies earlier this year and felt like a munchkin!)
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Clausen; Denmark, Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Marshall, Rimmer, Howard, Johnson, Jackson; Southport
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Small; Barbados, Liverpool
Murray; West Indies, Liverpool
Williams; Africa, Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 09 November 07 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Don't need to go too far to read about home children, as we have a resource board and one is Home Children to Canada...also an Ontario & B.C.  resource...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,372.0.html

birth of one of George's grandsons
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~births/Ho_Surnames.htm

probably have these, but just in case...other rellies  ;D or you..
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/HODGE/2004-07/1090416807
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/HODGE/2004-07/1090410551
http://www.rimmer.net.nz/
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 09 November 07 15:26 GMT (UK) »
I was checking on Emma Fay, who married William Dady in September 1912. She doesn't appear on the census of 1911, and there is an Emma Fay living in Birkdale (now part of Southport) who was 2 years younger than William. Given that Emily Dady travelled to marry Joseph Garlick (just 11 days after her arrival). I wondered if she sailed with Emma Fay. Sure enough, Emma Fay aged 26 is amongst the same passenger list (Teutonic dep 27 July 1912 Liverpool arr 3 Aug 1912 Montreal).

Emma was 26. To be married to W Dady, Plasterer. Born England, destination Montreal, Ont. Occupation Waitress. Intended Occ: Hwife (housewife I presume... in hindsight this was also on Emily's, but also something else afetr it). religion: RC.

This confirms her as Emma Fay of Birkdale, born 1886, daughter of Philip Fay who I believe was Catholic (lack of family records from IGI indicate this). Her mother was Harriet Edgar.
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline jeffster

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 10 November 07 20:04 GMT (UK) »
There are a few Garlicks living in Saskatchewan btw...  2 births

Florence Garlick born 1900 to a Ann Mansfield and a Walter Garlick
John Garlick born 1899 to a MATHILDA KAZAKOSKI AND Jakob Garlick in Theodore district??

A Adeline Garlick obit in 1994 in Regina Leader Post
A Jesse and a Wallace obit in the Saskatoon Star Phoenix

4 Homestead files listed at http://Http://www.saskhomesteads.com

??

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 11 November 07 11:36 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how to thank you all enough. From 2 especially kind people I have some further details. From the marriage and death certificates I now know that Joseph Garlick was listed as a gardener at marriage but at death in 1971 was decsrbed as a fireman for Vancouver City Dept for 37 years until 1942. This is obviously as error on the part of the informant, his daughter, as this would mean he joined the fire service in 1905... not only was this not on his marriage record or the 1911 census, but we know he was still in England until 1910... but clearly he served for many years as a fireman.

His daughter on the death certificate is Evelyn M Garlick of 353 Linden Avenue, Victoria. Joseps last address was St Andrews St, Victoria and he died in St Joseph's hospital, Victoria. Joseph had been in Canada for 62 years, and in Victoria for 29 years.

The certificates confirm what I had already confidently assumed about Joseph's family in England.

Joseph was cremated in Saanich at the Royal Oak Crematorium, Emily is listed as interred at Mount View, so clearly Joseph was either just added to the headstone or his ashes were later interred in Emily's grave.

I also now have a photo of William Dady from WW1, which is wonderful to add to the earlier pictures of him with his family in Southport.

It's so incredible to be able to start piecing together their lives in Canada, and I'm hoping that I can ultimately find some information that might lead me to locating living relatives to share with them much information they are unlikely to have.
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 11 November 07 12:51 GMT (UK) »
From the death certificate of Joseph, cross referenced with the BC records, I seem to have found a good name-match in Evelyn May Garlick. However, she is listed as dying in New Westminster on 29th Dec 1979 (wow, my 11th birthday!!) aged 85.... this would make her born c1894, when Joseph was only 12! This is a very unusual surname and the forenames fit so well.... could it be an error in transcription?
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline jfremont

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 12 November 07 04:42 GMT (UK) »
I will obtain the record for the Evelyn May Garlick so as to remove any doubt. Will get to the library in the next day or so.

John

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 12 November 07 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this. I hope that, the more I learn about their lives, the more chance I have of finding some living descendants

Impy
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 24 October 20 15:44 BST (UK) »
Just come across Your Post regarding the Garlick Family, who emigrated to Canada. I thought the Names and Southport place name sounded familiar.

John Garlick, born 1851 Greenhalgh, who married Ann Porter, is My First Cousin, twice removed, the son of Ambrose Garlick born 1817 Greenhalgh (Second Great Uncle) and spouse Margaret Rossall.

You might already know that that John Garlick moved to Southport, from the Weeton/Greenhalgh area, which is located, on the Fylde Coast of Lancashire, from where the Garlicks are originally from.

Ambrose Garlicks Sister, Alice Garlick born 1824 Greenhalgh, is My Great Grand Mother. This appears an early ancestor, to Myself,  but one of Her sons, My Maternal Grand Father, married My Grand Mother in His late 50s, His second marriage.

So there's My Family connection to Canada.

Kind regards,
Terry N.