Author Topic: Thomas Pepper  (Read 8752 times)

Offline suepepper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Pepper
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 01 September 18 06:24 BST (UK) »
A last update on Thomas Pepper aka Joseph Kennedy. I followed up "Keyboard 86's" last comment regarding the marriage of Joseph K Pepper and Elizabeth Jones in 1914 and ordered a marriage certificate. And yes they are my great grand parents, he has put his address as the Marconi Station which where he was a signal man and she has put Shirehall street which again ties in with the notes on Joseph Kennedy army records. They had previously declared on the army paperwork that they got married in 1886, I can only guess that they realised that in order for Elizabeth to get any future army pension, they would need to prove they were married. Joseph stated that his fathers name is Christopher Pepper? I cant find any evidence to back this up and wondered if it was just away of giving the use of the adopted Pepper name some credence ? Elizabeth's father is William Jones an engine driver.  Another interesting point is that I found the census for 1891 Bicester Oxford and Joseph and Elizabeth, their eldest daughter Mary and my grand father Edward Thomas are all listed but as "Kennedy" rather than "Pepper", so what ever happened to cause him to change his name happened between 1891 and 1901 when they appear in Caernarfon as Thomas and Elizabeth Pepper.  I don't why the name of "Thomas" was used and why it wasn't included on their marriage certificate.