Author Topic: penrose, wicklow  (Read 21546 times)

Offline kmdryd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
penrose, wicklow
« on: Thursday 08 November 07 11:49 GMT (UK) »
My gx3 grandfather Christopher Penrose lived in Wicklow early 1800's and had died before 1849.
Penrose seems to be a Cornish name and I have no idea how he ended up in Ireland.
His 3 daughters came to Australia as potato famine orphans and arrived in Australia in 1849.
Christopher married? Catherine Doyle but I have no marriage certificate.
Where do I look for some information about Christopher?
I have so little information. 
Kathleen
Frost, Jarvis, Bower, King, Whiles, Dawson, Ross, McKenzie, Clemson, Eagles, Stanton, Gale, Sharpe, Newson, Hines, Howard, Williams, Watkins, Cupitt, Penrose,Carey, Tuck, Malyon, Moore, Bensley, Nunn, Doyle.

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: penrose, wicklow
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 20:52 GMT (UK) »
There are several Christopher Penrose(s) mentioned in the Wicklow section of the LDS website.  However, there isn't a Catherine.
Do you know the names of Christopher's daughters?

Cheers

Offline kmdryd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 February 08 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you LH for your reply to my "brick wall".
Sisters' names were, Anne born 1830-31.
Esther (sometimes Catherine I think) born 1832-33.
Bridget born 1834.
Hope this helps.
Kathleen
Frost, Jarvis, Bower, King, Whiles, Dawson, Ross, McKenzie, Clemson, Eagles, Stanton, Gale, Sharpe, Newson, Hines, Howard, Williams, Watkins, Cupitt, Penrose,Carey, Tuck, Malyon, Moore, Bensley, Nunn, Doyle.

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

On http://www.irishfaminememorial.org/orphans/names_monument.htm there are 3 Penrose girls mentioned, Ann, Bridget and Catherine.  Bridget's address is given as Barraderrie, Wicklow.  This could well be Barndarrig, Wicklow, which you can look up on google.

There were dozens of Penrose folk in Wicklow from the late 1600s onwards but if you feel that Christopher Penrose may have been from Cornwall, it may be worth your while looking at the link to Conary Church, which was apparently built for UK tin miners who moved to Ireland.

Do you know which religion these three Penrose sisters were?

Cheers

Offline kmdryd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 09:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you LH for your info.
I was only assuming that Christopher came from Cornwall as I can't find any information about him in Ireland.  A few people have looked for me and always a blank wall.
Also I found out that the surname Penrose was Cornish.
I am surprised to hear that there were a lot of Penrose in Wicklow.   I was told by a professional researcher  that Penrose was quite rare in Wicklow I hope  she is wrong! That gives me a better chance.

The three girls were Catholic.

I will google Barndarrig as you suggest.
Thank you for your help.  I am really interested in this branch of my family as it was the first branch I started researching in 1984! and the one that I have had not very much luck with.  I would be jumping for joy if I could find my illusive Christopher and Catherine.

I am thinking maybe Christopher and Catherine could have lived and died in the poor house.  I have tried to find out about this but records seem to be non-existant.

Thank you again,  Kathleen

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi
In Griffiths Valuation (a cencus substitute), I notice a few Penrose folk living fairly close to Barndarrig, even the name Christopher Penrose:-

Penrose   Michael   Ballymurrin Lower   Dunganstown   Wicklow
Penrose   Peter   Corporation Lands   Kilpoole   Wicklow
Penrose   Peter   Wicklow Irish Street   Kilpoole   Wicklow
Penrose   Thomas   Ballycooleen   Castlemacadam   Wicklow
Penrose   Christopher   Coolgreany   Inch   Wexford
Penrose   Christopher   Knockgreany   Inch   Wexford

Cheers

Offline kmdryd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
This info. is really interesting.  What year was this evaluation taken?
How can I follow up on this info? 

Do you know if there is a map of this area around the time that I am interested in>

Again thank you for your help.
Kathleen

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 17:53 BST (UK) »
According to www.failteromhat.com, Griffiths for Wicklow was carried out 1852-53.

For a location - go to www.google.com and then type in google maps. Click on the first choice and then type in Barndarrig Wicklow.  You can then slide down on the zip on the lft hand side and expand on the area.  You'll see Coolgreany, near Arklow and Inch is virtually east of Coolgreany.  These areas are just about on the Wicklow-Wexford border.

Cheers

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 18:05 BST (UK) »

The website below shows a marriage of a Penrose male to a Dunne female in Arklow.  There are no further details but it may be worth e-mailing the parish to see whether they have any other snippets on this marriage.
http://www.cmcrp.net/Wicklow/ArklowM12.htm