Author Topic: penrose, wicklow  (Read 21538 times)

Offline kmdryd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: penrose, wicklow
« Reply #36 on: Monday 10 August 15 02:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Dom. 
What you have mentioned could be possible.  The only real information I have is the transcripts of  Christopher and Catherines childrens bap.   C and C had their first child in 1820 and Catherines maiden name Doyle was used (on Bap.) till 1828 after her 5th child.  1831 till 1836 it is left out on the next four baps.   Could this mean that they were married between 1831 and 1836 or maybe it has no meaning at all?
Do you have anymore information about Anne Doyle who married your Daniel?
I also found the surname BEHAN appeared twice on the baps.  Mary Behan godmother to one child in 1831 and Anne Behan godmother to another child in 1833.  Just wondering if you recognise that surname.
Do you know the name of Thomas' wife? 

I would be "over the moon" if we could find a connection there somewhere.
Regards Kathleen
Frost, Jarvis, Bower, King, Whiles, Dawson, Ross, McKenzie, Clemson, Eagles, Stanton, Gale, Sharpe, Newson, Hines, Howard, Williams, Watkins, Cupitt, Penrose,Carey, Tuck, Malyon, Moore, Bensley, Nunn, Doyle.

Offline Dom Penrose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 10 August 15 11:08 BST (UK) »
Kathleen the Doyle's were a large family and very much settled from Dublin down to Wexford.
I understand this branch were quite wealthy in 1865 when James Doyle husband of Hannah died and worth around £100,000 mostly accumulated from banking. The Doyle's and Penrose's centred much of their commercial activity in Dublin, which was the second largest city in the British Isles in 1724 and were involved in import and export through Cork and Waterford using their Quaker connections.

James Doyle 1747-1797 of Cooladine in Wexford and Gayfield in Dublin married twice.
Firstly to Hannah who had Anne Doyle 1780-1810 who married Daniel Penrose.
Secondly to Elizabeth who had Susanna who died 1862 unmarried. James Doyle 1788-1865 who married Hannah Clark  of Crimplesham Hall in Norfolk - no children. Thomas Doyle who wed Caroline Storrs of Bristol - unknown descent. Joseph Doyle 1793-1872 who married Elizabeth Clark (sister of Hannah) of Crimplesham Hall in Norfolk - no known children.

My great grandfather James Doyle Penrose moved to Norfolk to look after Hannah Clark after her sister and brother in law and husband had died in 1874 and lived at Downham Market for 8 years then moving on to London.

No link to the other names I am afraid.

All best   Dom

Offline kmdryd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 05:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dom for all the information.  I don't think my Christopher was on the rich side of the family as 3 of his children ended up at Rathdrum workhouse, from where my gg grandmother emigrated to Australia.  I will keep searching and refer back to the information you have sent me.  :)  Regards Kathleen
Frost, Jarvis, Bower, King, Whiles, Dawson, Ross, McKenzie, Clemson, Eagles, Stanton, Gale, Sharpe, Newson, Hines, Howard, Williams, Watkins, Cupitt, Penrose,Carey, Tuck, Malyon, Moore, Bensley, Nunn, Doyle.