Author Topic: Goldsmiths of Hellingly/Stones of Hythe  (Read 36423 times)

Offline shaneooo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Goldsmiths of Hellingly/Stones of Hythe
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 12 July 09 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Brenda thanks for that, my thoughts on the thomas and joseph ages was that the enumerator muddled them up, on the 1901 they are the other way round making the ages correct or as id expect, ill have another look at bmd.
talk soon, shane.
Baker, kent
Goldsmith, kent
Perfect, kent
Rattigan, moate eire
Pennell, thanet, Faversham

Offline shaneooo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 12 July 09 16:22 BST (UK) »
Some more bits,
james henry gregory b 1883 2a 957
                                  d 1883 2a 499
albert w gregory        b 1884 2a 1034
                                  d 1884 2a 603
david                          b 1887 2a 1002 i agree with you that thomas and david are the same person, may be called thomas so people would accept him as thomas snr son,

talk soon, shane.
Baker, kent
Goldsmith, kent
Perfect, kent
Rattigan, moate eire

Offline beeb

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 13 July 09 03:51 BST (UK) »
Shane thanks for all the information.   I did see the 1901 census.   I think we are right about David/Thomas and I think Thomas Goldsmith b.1905 was known in the family as Francis to save confusion.   Tom and Joe the two older boys were in WW1, in the Buffs Mum said and that Joe had been in trouble in Mesopotamia and finished up in Barlinnie jail.   She said that he ran away from guards in Kent and found her at a hop field, she told him to give himself up.    I think it was Moses that joined the Dominicans,  but suffered from ill health and due to that returned home and later died of a perforated duodenal ulcer which must have been terribly painful.   Another brother was fetched home from work on a farm gate used for a stretcher,he had tetanus and died from that.   
Thanks too for giving me the info on the Gregory boys, I hadn't known that James Henry had also died.    Poor Elizabeth it must have been awful for her losing two baby sons and then her husband.
I forgot to say before that Rumpuscat's partner descends from Aaron Goldsmith brother of our Tom and son of Moses and Sarah.
I hope we will hear from Tomscot that he has found a link to his Goldsmiths, it would be good to get further back on that line.   I was born in Brighton, Sussex myself and was surprised to find our Goldsmiths there in Sx, I thought all but the Kenny/Ronans came from Kent.
All for now, Brenda

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 09:23 BST (UK) »
There is a WW1 army service record for Richard GOLDSMITH born Sittingbourne (son of Thomas) latter 1890s.  He was in the Buffs (East Kent Regit.)

Just a note to remind everyone that names and any details of any person who may possibly be living is not permitted on the boards here on Rootschat hence details of such persons have been removed from the above posts.

Sorry to hear you have been unwell Rumpuscat

Good luck in your searches everyone

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline beeb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 July 09 05:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that Casalguidi.   This must be Richard Aaron then born 1898, possibly known as Lonnie.   I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows what Lonnie was the nickname for, I haven't heard of it since Lonnie Donnergan sang to fame with "My Old Man's a Dustman" many years ago.
If you didn't see Thomas or Joseph Goldsmith in the Buffs, maybe my old Mum mistook the regiment, I think there is/was a West Kent regiment perhaps they joined them.  Or I suppose they could have joined any regiment that was stationed in Kent at that time, I expect there was a lot of recruiting going on at that time.   I did wonder why Joseph had been sent to a Glasgow prison.
Best wishes,
Brenda

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 July 09 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Brenda

Not all the WW1 service records survive so it's still possible that they did serve with the Buffs.  You can search the WW1 army medal rolls in the documents online section of the National Archives site - there are loads of GOLDSMITHs serving with Kent regiments.  Unfortunately, these medal cards usually give little information apart from regiment and medals awarded http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm

There is an absent voters list online for Milton 1918/1919 which lists those still serving http://www.sittingbournemiltonfallen.com/menu.html

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline beeb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 18 July 09 07:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you again Casalguidi for your help.   Also I would like to say how sorry I am for thoughtlessly naming living people and I hope I haven't given offence to Shane and his family, if so I apologise sincerely.
Brenda

Offline shaneooo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 July 09 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Brenda, more my fault i think, never mind!. i got your pm and will send you the deleted details, i did find some milton goldsmiths in the ww1 lists but didnt make any notes, i will try to find them again and will post, talk soon, shane.
Baker, kent
Goldsmith, kent
Perfect, kent
Rattigan, moate eire

Offline beeb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 20 July 09 04:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane, I did have a look at the websites Casalguidi gave, but I was short on time and will look again.
Do you have a marriage for the parents of Sarah Stone, we know the father was Thomas Stone a hawker from the marriages of Sarah and her sister Diana at Ashford.   I found one which I think might fit -
Thomas Stone m. Elizabeth Provess at Newchurch (Romney Marsh area) 14 October, 1816
This was on www.woodchurchancestry.org.uk/newchurch
I haven't got any further back than that.
I couldn't find much on Elizabeth Kenny Goldsmith's Irish forebears either, I know Ardfield is a townland or parish, but what village I don't know.   Looking at the Griffiths Valuations for that area 1848-1864, I thought perhaps Mountain Common as there were a few Ronans and Barrys, even a McCarthy or two.   Irish research it too hard, records that do exist are hard to access if at all.    Looking for a Kenny in Kerry is like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack.
Oh well, its these mysteries that keep one going.  Cheers,
Brenda