Author Topic: Goldsmiths of Hellingly/Stones of Hythe  (Read 36359 times)

Offline beeb

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Goldsmiths of Hellingly/Stones of Hythe
« Reply #27 on: Monday 20 July 09 04:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry that website link doesn't work.  Try www.woodchurchancestry.org.uk and look for mid Kent marriages.
That should work.
Brenda

Offline abesad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Goldsmiths of Hellingly/Bakers of kent
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for previous families of a Thomas Goldsmith born abt1788, poss Sussex and died 18th mar, 1836, he married a Emma lusted on 24th dec 1822 in Hellingly, Sussex.

Had two daugters; Mary born 1824 herstmonceux, Sussex and died 1st sept 1826 and Harriet born 1825 and died 27th sept 1842 at Hellingly Workhouse, also they had a son Thomas born abt 1827 Herstmonceux and died 27th nov 1901.

Also down the line one of them married a Baker.

If anyone can help me to find previous family of this Thomas, I would be deeply appreciated. I am not sure if any of the ones I have read on here are connected to my family.

susan

Offline rumpuscat

• RootsChat Member
  • GGG-Grandpa George Robert Ovenden 1791-1860
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 18:02 BST (UK) »
I just thought that I'd pop my head up. ;)  Things are coming thick and fast now, aren't they?  I'm finding it hard to keep up!  Hi Beeb!- I will write to you-promise!
=^._.^=

Rumpuscat - 2022

FAIRHALL (Sussex, London, Notts)
LINSEY (Lincs, Notts)
OVENDEN (Kent, London)
ANGERSTEIN (London)
SPICER, CORNS, VALE (Staffs)

Offline beeb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 23 July 09 06:48 BST (UK) »
Susan, we haven't any information on Thomas Goldsmith's ancestry, all we know is that Tom married Keziah Townsend in Ripe, Sx. in 1811.   They were Particular Baptists, they had some children baptised at the Baptist Chapel in Hailsham 1812/13 and then a job lot of the other children in 1821 Hellingly.   Haven't come across your Goldsmith/Lusted family, we think our Tom was born about 1790.
I was hoping we would hear from Tomscot who also has Goldsmiths who were Particular Baptists and in Hailsham and Hurstmonceux, it seems a possibility we might all connect up somewhere down the line.
Hi rumpuscat, hope you are feeling better.   Don't worry about not writing, you are entitled to a rest, you had done most of the Stone and Goldsmith research before opening up this rootschat avenue so you have done more than your bit.
Best wishes,
Brenda

Offline Goldieboy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 31 July 09 14:57 BST (UK) »
I have some information about Thomas Goldsmith and Priscilla Green and their family which may help. Their children were named in the Baptist Chapel at Hailsham as Tomscot has written earlier. I also have a collection of notes gleaned from Sussex records about the Goldsmiths in East Sussex, and especially Hailsham, Hellingly & Herstmonceux. (I would love to have a little more info from Tomscot about his Goldsmith tree if possible).

My descendants are the same as Susan's (Abesad), but I don't think that our Thomas Goldsmith is the same person as has been discussed here. Our problem is that there were many Thomas Goldsmiths around the Hailsham, Hellingly and Herstmonceux areas.

There were two Thomas Goldsmiths christened at Herstmonceux who could be our relative, one on 3rd Feb 1785 (son of Richard and Sall) and another on 19th Oct 1795. I believe that one of these was our relative - has anyone come across either of these two Thomas's in their research?

Goldieboy
Sussex - Goldsmith, Jones, Milward, Pocock, Lusted, Gutsell, Hicks, Kenyon, Jenner, Bryant, Pentecost
Essex - Thurgood, Walford, Estaugh, Wade
Buckinghamshire - Philby, Filbey,

Offline poly1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 23:50 BST (UK) »
Dear Rumpuscat

I have been reading your thread with interest.  My ggg grandfather was a William Stone married to a Mary Unknown, though seeing this thread think I have found her. William was definitely a romany and I also notice that there were members of the family who were Particular Baptists.  This too corresponds with my ancestors as I know that William & Mary's son Stephen my gg grandfather born in Sittingbourne and his wife Matilda Giles were members of the Peculiar People another baptist group when they settled in Essex.  Stephen was known as the Blue Roan - The King of the Gypsys a horse dealer and at his funeral it was attended by at least a hundred of his grandchildren.

Thank you to everyone who has put something here as it helps so many of us with unanswered questions.
London: Smith, Huntingford, Goldstone, Dupuy, Lanigan, Barrett, Dyke, Chaplin, Dupuis, Le Brument, Velu, Huet, Hatenville, Lovell, Giles

Essex: Romany connections - Loveridge,  Livermore, Chillystone, Stone, Lamb

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 08:24 BST (UK) »
This family ???

1861 - vans, Little Warley, Essex

William STONE head mar 26 lic. hawker b.Hythe Kent
Mary wife 35 b.High Wade (sic) Kent
Stephen son 15 b.Minster Kent
Thomas son 13 b.not known
Mary dau 11 b.Maidstone Kent
Priscilla dau 9 b.Sittingbourne
William son 7 b.Orsett Essex
John son 5 b.Keldon Hatch Essex
James son 2 b.Great Stambridge Essex
Walter son 6w b.Lackington? Essex

RG9/1075 folio 217 page 9

William STONE looks likely to have married Mary RANSLEY 1845 Canterbury http://freebmd.rootsweb.com with Mary RANSLEY likely being the  daughter of Stephen Munn RANLSEY and Mary ROSE.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 17 October 09 11:55 BST (UK) »
Stone gypsies married into the Roberts. I have Ransleys, Stone's and Roberts.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline beeb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 19 October 09 03:02 BST (UK) »
In the 1881 census in the caravan next to Eliza Roberts and Tom Goldsmith in Cowper Road, Sittingbourne are William Stone head, 57, no birthplace given, Mary wife, 53, b. Cranbrook, Albert 15, Romford, Cecilia 12, Chilham (maybe the Celia who m. Thomas Johnson whose sister Deborah married Moses, Tom Goldmith's brother.

In that 1861 census William is 26 which should perhaps be 36 as his son Stephen is 15.   Then this family would fit with the 1881 Stone family.   

I have seen Enumerators' Books and the writing sometimes is so bad that a 3 could easily be transcribed as 2.

Best wishes,
Brenda