Author Topic: William Webb - what happened to you?  (Read 4676 times)

Offline woodturner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Webb - what happened to you?
« on: Friday 09 November 07 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Seeking info about William Webb, born about 1853 to John Webb and Elizabeth Ricketts. John and Elizabeth were married 1851 at Newport chapel, Berkeley, Gloucestershire. They lived all of their married life in or near Woodford so I am know that William was born there too. I don't know if he lived into adulthood or died young. I have him on the 1861 census aged 7yrs then nothing.
Many thanks.

Gloucestershire-WEBB,EAMES, RICKETTS,GINGELL,BICK,TEFFEY
Monmouthshire- WEBB,JENKINS,SCOTT,DIX,WARREN
Glamorgan- WEBB,SCOTT,

Offline Frances

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry & Alexandra Burr
    • View Profile
Re: William Webb - what happened to you?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 November 07 07:36 GMT (UK) »

RG10/2662/69/9
Swindon

John Webb 49 Lab Swindon
Elizabeth 47 Cheltenham Gloucestershire
Arthur 22 Lab Cheltenham Gloucestershire
Henry 19 Lab Swindon
William 17 Lab Swindon
Joseph 16?  Lab Swindon
Henry Daw 4  G/son Swindon

Ref for 1861
RG9/1796/75/3 Swindon

Frances
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

-------------------------------------------------- 
Hope/Buckinghamshire    Palmer Cambridge
Hope/Camberwell            Palmer Essex  
Bolton/Camberwell           Emery Potton Bedfordshire
DeBoo/ Poplar/Anywhere           
Oliver /Chatteris, Cambs.   
Redkison/ Anywhere          
Carter Bedfordshire
Bernard/Stepney
Lawrence/Colchester Essex 
Carter/ Leytonstone
Bones/ Essex
Tullett/ Surrey/Essex

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 November 07 08:38 GMT (UK) »
I suggest that you cannot be sure where William Webb (WW) was born if you do not have his birth certificate.

Likewise you really need his parents' marriage certificate in order to know where and when they were married unless you have definitive proof in the form of a parish register or Bishops transcript entry.  There's no JW X ER marriage registered in 1851 according to freebmd nor is the extracted marriage data shown in the batch M016481 - Berkeley marriages 1802 to 1863 - at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountryEngland.htm#PageTitle

On freebmd there are quite a few births of WW's registered in 1852/53

Regards 

Chas
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 November 07 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Woodturner

I agree with ChasH - once a child is living independently it is hard to tell which one is yours unless they conveniently have a rellie visiting!

There is a boy in the Navy, for example, who could be yours?

There is a William F who marries a Fanny and goes to live in Glamorgan - I don't think he is yours, but i liked him because he is a Wood Machinist!!

By the way - isn't his mother Hannah?

I can rule out a similarly-aged William b Wotton who ends up in Yorkshire - he is mine!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 November 07 15:07 GMT (UK) »
This appears to be your William.

Born William Henry Webb 1853. Registered at Dursley, 6a, 155, December 1853

1871 census finds him in Lincolnshire as a Foot Servant to the Rev'd Mirehouse
at Back Street, Colsterworth, Limcolnshire. He gave his place of birth as Wotton-under-Edge for some reason. why not Woodford, Stone, Newport or Berkeley. Throughout the other census same place of birth.

In 1875 his married a local girl called Mary Elizabeth Wilkinson and the marriage was registered at Grantham, 7a, 794, September 1875.

In 1881 he is now living in Bristol at 61 Albert Street.  and gives his full name as William Henry c 1853 occupation  Shopman
His wife Mary Elizabeth, c 1857 from Colsterworth
children
Emily L, c 1876, Colsterworth
Albert H, c, 1880, Bristol
William M, C 1881 (no age shown) Bristol

1891 census now living at 118 Ashley Vale or Ash Vale, Bristol
William Henry 1854, unable to make out what his occupation is. looks like Colour Oil and Colormans assistant
Mary Elizabeth, wife, c 1857
Emily Louisa, 1876, Milliners Assistant born in Colsterworth
Albert Henry, 1880, born at St Paul's Bristol
William Mannie, 1881 born same place
Arthur Ernest, 1885, born same place
Florence Elsie, 1888, born same place

In 1901 they are now living at 118 Lower Cheltenham Place, Bristol
Occupation appears to be the same
His wife is still there and the only children at home at the time of the census were. William M, Clerk, Arthur. E., Clerk and Florence E

regards
Alf

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 November 07 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Alf,

Don't you think giving so much info. takes away the "excitement " of the chase?

I think it's much better to point the searcher in the right direction and let them have the pleasure of discovery besides learning as they go.

Regards

Chas
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 November 07 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Chas
First of all the Subject matter was "William Webb - what happened to you?" then Woodturner asked for any information on William Webb.  I researched...I found information...I passed it on.
I find when hitting a brick wall that any help, be it little or lots is of  benefit.  It is now surely up to Woodturner to use the info I found, check the info I found or ignore the info I found...the decision is his, he was the one who requested help, I was willing and able, as a local to give him that, so it is not for any of us to decided what he does with it....that is his choice.
Alf

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 November 07 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I think Alf has a good, reasoned story there, which Woodturner can accept or reject - it could be they already have info which will assist in making that decision.

I would be wary of opting for a particular birth - as Chas says there are quite a few Williams in that time frame (one of them is mine, but I haven't bought the cert cos I have seen the original record).

There certainly isn't a William who says he is from Woodford in later censuses - there is a Daniel who does this & he ends up in Monmouthshire.  Coincidentally, there is a lodger in Trevethin in 1871 who is from Gloucestershire - might or might not be Woodturner's chap.

The marriage cert from Alf's "theory" would give father's name and help to clarify.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 November 07 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots

Many thanks for you input.

The Daniel you mentioned may be William's brother, born about 1857 and he does mentioned Woodford as his place of birth. I have a different mother for this family

Just to clarify any person born in Woodford and surrounds would have there birth, marriage of death registered either at Thornbury or Dursley. now it is Stroud or Bristol. My late father was  born and bred in Woodford and his birth was also registered at Dursley, my self, was Thornbury

Alf