Author Topic: Thomas Kelly - b. 1799  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Erica McP

• RootsChat Extra
  • A McPoland by name but a Downing by heart!
    • View Profile
Thomas Kelly - b. 1799
« on: Saturday 10 November 07 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I wondered if anyone could shed any light on my 3x great Grandfather Thomas Kelly.  know it's a common name and i haven't much to go on, but this is what i know of him so far:

He was born in 1799 in Roscommon, married (who and when i don't know), and at some time went to England, working as an agricultural labourer, settling and dying in Walsall, Staffs in 1874. I do know of two children he had both born in Ireland, but there were possibly more. They were Mary (b. 1826) who married Tom McLaughlin, and Edward (b. 1831) who married Margaret Ragen (b. 1833 in Ireland)  in Walsall in 1852.

ANY information would be gratefully received, especially the name of Thomas's Wife and also any info on the Ragen's too.

Thank you and kind regards, Erica.
Downing, Mills, Powell (Staffs). Richardson (Shrops), McClory, McPoland (Antrim/Down - NI), Mills (Sydney, Australia), Atkinson (Westmorland), Kelly (Killarney, Ire and Staffs)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Kelly - b. 1799
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 November 07 13:49 GMT (UK) »
It will be very difficult to trace a sommon surname like Kelly in Co. Roscommon at such an early date without knowing exactly where in Roscommon they lived. The dates you are looking for are before the start of civil registration in Ireland so you would need to locate church records (if they still exist).
Have you tried tracing the family in all the English census records to find the name of Thomas Kelly's wife?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Erica McP

• RootsChat Extra
  • A McPoland by name but a Downing by heart!
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Kelly - b. 1799
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 November 07 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Yes, i have, without success! She may have been Sarah but no maiden name! So i think that's it for this line.
Thanks, Erica.
Downing, Mills, Powell (Staffs). Richardson (Shrops), McClory, McPoland (Antrim/Down - NI), Mills (Sydney, Australia), Atkinson (Westmorland), Kelly (Killarney, Ire and Staffs)