Author Topic: Whitchurch, Bucks  (Read 20764 times)

Offline TLA100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whitchurch, Bucks
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone-just joined- Whitchurch is the home of my father`s family-the Kibbles-I have tracrd them back to mid 16th century-some were churchwardens and one of them-Francis who died 1699 has his name carved on the church rafters. My 3 times gr grandfather was Thomas Kibble,born whichurch 1832 and his mother was Ann Rickard,born 1788. Does anyone know of other Kibbles in the village who may be related to Thomas as he left for London in the 1850s. I also have other Rickards on my tree and Toogoods.
 Lindsay

Hi Lindsay,

Not sure if you will read this after so long but just to let you know that I am researching the Kibbles too. My ancestor is a Thomas Kibble - although a different one to yours. If I am right, I believes our two men are both cousins.

Interesting fact about the rafters by the way!
Tanya

Offline Benody1921

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 04 March 19 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for more on my Welch/Welsh ancestors from Whitchurch. My 5th great-grandfather was James Welch. He was born about 1784. I think this was in Whitchurch. He married Phoebe Cheshire in 1806.

I'm struggling to find his parents. On FindMyPast I found a baptism for a James Welsh, son of Robert and Rachel Welsh. However, I have several DNA matches and have seen several family trees that show Richard Welch and Rachel Durley as his parents. I cannot find any sources to prove this. Unfortunately the baptism record from FindMyPast was just a transcript and no image.

Anyways, hoping there might be some others researching the Welch name :)
Stuart (India, Antrim, Armagh)
Whiting (Bedfordshire)
Dunn/Taylor (Worcestershire)
Pearson (Worcestershire)
Hill/Rhodes (Worcestershire)
Gough (Warwickshire)
Perry (Devon, Worcestershire)
Maynard (Essex, Yorkshire)
Jennings (Devon)
Coldicott (Warwickshire, Gloucestershire)

Offline Ashgrove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maddie, have just discovered this site whilst exploring my family the 'Dwights' and saw your post. Charles was my great grandfather through his second marriage.
Your grandmother Hilda was his step-sister and had the Beament brothers Jesse and Ronald. I found their WW2 story particularly poignant and always wondered how much Hilda knew of their predicament? It seemed so sad that she passed away only a few months before Ronald was liberated, so never saw him return home.

I have Charles as a groom/gardener -do you have any info on who he worked for?

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi & a warm welcome to RootsChat.

My Grandmother Hilda was Charles daughter with his first wife Mary. I do have quite a lot of info on the Dwight's & Blowfield's, Charles was the coachman for a Dr John Richard Henry Sutton in Whitchurch & I am more than happy to share what I have with you if I can help. If you do a couple more posts I can PM you with my mail addy particularly as you mention Hilda's sons. !!

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ashgrove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maddie, thanks very much for that.
David Thomas Dwight was my grandfather - so on the 'other side' from you. I actually have the family bible started by Charles, in my possession, which provided me with plenty of names and dates for his numerous children, which enabled me to start my research some time ago.
I've recently returned to the search and have found it more interesting to focus on individuals to try to learn their stories. They become real people then not merely names on a page - hence my divergence into the Beaments' war. It's rather ironic that both Jesses were lost in war: Beament in WW2 and Jesse Dwight in WW1!

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi again & thanks for coming back. Our Charles certainly had quite an abundance of children. ;). I have often thought about my Grandmother loosing her half brother Jesse in WW1 & then my Uncle Jesse in WW2 although sadly she had died before Jesse's death was confirmed. If you are interested I can give you details on where & when Jesse was killed in the Far East.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline Ashgrove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 19 January 23 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maddie,
That's even worse - I assumed that Hilda would have received a War Office letter saying Jesse was KIA, but if it was just MIA -then she would have been holding out hope all that time. So sad. Did they know that Ronald was a prisoner? It appears that info from Japanese camps was very sketchy to say the least.
I have sorted Jesse and Ron's pathway I believe - happy to show you what I've found so you can  add and/or correct sometime - not sure how that works on here. So if Jesse was your uncle, who were your parents?

Interesting too that Charles worked for a doctor, so did his son David, my grandfather, who was groom/gardener for Dr Ryder-Richardson, who I believe started in the village in 1929.

Charles and Emily's marriage certificate suggests that might have had an address in St Pancras parish so they could get married there - I guess because Emily must have been pregnant at the time and maybe it wasn't viewed well at home?

My name's Alan by the way, I couldn't use it on this site as already taken.

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 19 January 23 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan  :D
I am about to P M you.

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire