Author Topic: Searching for Belgium Records. Completed.  (Read 2764 times)

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Searching for Belgium Records. Completed.
« on: Sunday 11 November 07 11:23 GMT (UK) »
My English grandparents were married in Brussels in 1894, I can't find either of them on the UK 1891 census.

I can't find a birth record for their first child Samuel George Cullen, he died in Jan 1953 aged 57. Their second child was born in London in 1898.

I would like to know if it is possible to find out anything about the time they spent in Brussels.

RBC

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Belgium Records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 November 07 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Do you know who Rose was? Sister, mother?

The Times shows there was a Mr Lambert, Banker, at 2 Rue d'Egmont in Brussels. It does seem likely that they had both come over to work for British companies/families - the addresses are also quite near each other.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 November 07 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jorose
Thank you very much for your interest. My 2nd an 3rd cousins know who their grandfathers, also Domestic Coachmen, worked for. I am very jealous as I have no idea who George or Elizabeth worked for.
Elizabeth had a sister Rose who was a year younger. In 1901 I think she was the Rose Bissell working as a Nurse at St George's Hanover Square Union Infimary. Elizabeth's mother was Emma.
Are you based in Belgium, and how did you find The Times record?
RBC

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 November 07 16:43 GMT (UK) »
I'm in England but I have Belgian relatives - from down south, though, in Liege and Libin.  The Times database generally has to be accessed through a library - I do so via Cambridgeshire Libraries online.

There were Population Registers kept - census equivalents - although I've never been able to get my hands on any as they generally haven't been microfilmed by the LDS. There would probably also be directories or similar at the municipal archives. It is probably worth dropping them a quick email and asking what is available. http://www.brucity.be/artdet.cfm?id=813&nLanguage=1

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much. I have sent an email as you suggested. I will find out about my local, Suffolk, Libraries Online later to day.
I would be interested to know what you entered to come up with Mr Lambert's details.
I found the Yahoo! Bable Fish site very useful. I didn't realize it could be used to translate a whole web page, wonderful.
I will let you know if I get a response from Brussels.
RBC.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 11:09 GMT (UK) »
I used just the street name - a trick that works very well on The Times especially if you want to find out about the area your relative lived in.