Author Topic: Sir William Wright Dock, HULL -COMPLETED - Thanks  (Read 5677 times)

Offline pwitz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sir William Wright Dock, HULL -COMPLETED - Thanks
« on: Monday 12 November 07 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone help me with a query, please?

I am doing a bit of research for a friend, and have found her grandfather on a vessel called "Southampton" in the Sir William Wright Dock, Hull in the 1891 census.  He is put as 'crew', but is only 13yrs old - in fact, most of the boys' ages range from about 10 - 15yrs. 

Has anyone any idea what sort of vessel it was?  Training, fishing, or a correctional  'place' perhaps?

Thank you,

Polly

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Sir William Wright Dock - HULL
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 November 07 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Polly,

You could try contacting Hull City Archives, they have lots of information about the docks, ship records etc:

http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=221,52893&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline clivealbert

• RootsChat Senior
  • First meeting with granddaughter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 November 07 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hj Polly,Southamton was a old 50 gun frigate. It used to be moored off "Sammys Point". It was converted into a training ship for boys from poor or broken homes. It was first established in 1868 and managed by an Association under the Industrial Schools Act.In the book Hull As It Was, by Iain Rutherford there is a phot of it. best wishes Clive
marshall, reynolds ,cockayne, parrot ,friend,hayman.bielby,carr,Dobbs,Jeffries,Dear,Spink,Henshaw,Crump

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Just a recommendation here.

I've always found the staff at Hull Archives very helpful, they've found out and sent me loads of information at very little or no cost.  As you will see from their website, they have archived photos available too.  They even went out of their way to find me some photographs that are not yet archived and put them on a CD for me.  Of course, I paid for them.

I always e-mail them and they reply almost immediately.

Liz

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hear, hear, Liz, which is why I suggested Polly contact them  :)

Very quick service the other day, emailed them with a query late one night and had a reply at 9.30am the next day with lots of information, now just waiting for the photocopies

Barbara  :D
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline pwitz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sir William Wright Dock, HULL - COMPLETED-Thanks
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Barbara, Liz and Clive for your info and comments.  I will certainly do as you suggest.

Regards, Polly

Offline BOJANGELS2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sir William Wright Dock, HULL -COMPLETED - Thanks
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 April 14 20:44 BST (UK) »
hi has anyone any more info on the training ship "Southampton docked at the above - thank you
Clarke---- wotton under edge Gloucestershire and widnes Lancashire
GOODE  stourport /Kidderminster /Huddersfield
Holloran ---galway Ireland