Author Topic: Blue Lines?  (Read 8899 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Lines?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 12:53 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Suey. If the ads must stay would it be possible to lose the underlining? I would also prefer to see the words in a colour other than blue (perhaps green for go, or red for stop or danger  ;)) so they are not mistaken for normal links. However I suspect the reason they are blue is so they DO look like links, and the underlining is so they look like important links.

Which is preferable revenue wise, a hover or a click? I haven't clicked yet I'm afraid as in the odd hover I haven't found anything relevant in the ads to entice me to click.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Is the experiment going to last long, it is quite annoying.

I should think the fact that Trystan and Sarah are currently losing money on this site is rather more annoying to them than some blue underlining is to us!

They work full-time and manage rootschat in their limited spare time. let's support them rather than piling in with criticism.

Will there be a vote on it?

Since they own the site they are free to do what they wish. They are trying to find ways of at least breaking even. Currently the costs of running roots chat are more than triple what they are paying on their mortgage! http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,267970.msg1524076.html

Jennifer

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Jennifer

i think most of us are in agreement over this. We have a great site that is free. Trystan and Sarah pay for it, maintain it and generallly keep us all happy for the love of it. The Mods are also all volunteers.

I feel a wee bit angry and also sad about  the criticisms that have been made over the past few days for what is a trial run of something that may help to keep us afloat. Many of the BIG sites that charge us £££s have far more infuriating adverts - do we hear  them being asked to remove them?

To every one, please no more criticism. Let it rest and see what happens.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hear hear Gadget!

I cannot believe we are even having this discussion bearing in mind we are not the ones paying for the site.

Thank you Trystan and Sarah for rootschat

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Mumsie2131

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Councillor John Heap
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hear hear Gadget and Kerry B - the complainers should be penalised  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Heap - Holmfirth WRY
Rhodes-Flockton WRY & NE Cheshire
Ridgway- NE Cheshire & Lancahire
Roebuck - Upperthong WRY
Wild - NECheshire
Riley - NE Cheshire & Derbyshire
Greaves - NE Cheshire & Lancashire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hear hear Gadget and Kerry B - the complainers should be penalised  ;D ;D ;D ;D

A fiver a moan  ;D ;D ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hear, hear. We do not own this site. I'm confident that the owners will do their best for us.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 17:35 GMT (UK) »
I dont see why they are so adverse to a Subscription Service - or selling me shares    ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Newf

thats a dirty word on here subscriptions, last time I mentioned it on a thread I got shot down.  ;D ;D ;D
Wouldnt be a bad idea though, people pay to use some other sites  which are no where near as good as this one.

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk