Author Topic: Ogilvies- MAINS OF GLENGARROCK, KEITH  (Read 6388 times)

Offline Adawtry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ogilvies- MAINS OF GLENGARROCK, KEITH
« on: Wednesday 14 November 07 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Can anybody tell me roughly where this farm is and even better anything about the family. Is above an English spelling of MAINS OF GLENGARIOCH. I also came across a very cryptic entry about it saying it "featured in Scottish history" anybody any clue. My first pair in this tree is William Ogilvie and Isabel Anderson (no dates or place of birth/death).  I feel I'm cheating but have just recently broken though a wall when I was sure I could have my Mum's tree tidy and printed for Xmas. I'm happy to share all I have in return. Thanks in advance Annie

Offline Isles

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ogilvies- MAINS OF GLENGARROCK, KEITH
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Annie,

It's actually Glengerrack.  If you go to www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap and enter the postcode AB55 6LD you'll see it.  I'll try to find some more info if possible.

1927 - 2010

Burness; Dickson; Moncur; Bowman

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Adawtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks
You've no idea how many spelling I have of it.
Annie

Offline Isles

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Annie,
I expect you already have the children of William and Isabel ? 
(All 12 of them  ;D)

1927 - 2010

Offline Adawtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes Isles I've the kids. My line is from John b 1790 who ONLY had 11. Really I want to know if anyone knows for sure if William is the one born 1749 to William and Margaret Hay marr 1748. It looks probable as his 1st 2 children are Will & Mgt but I've learned not to trust that.  I've found on Libindex that "Glengerrack" was sold in 1779 and again in 1895 but not who bought it the  1st time and sold it the 2nd. I'll just have to get in touch with Graeme to see what else the docs. say. It's rare for my folk to own land so I'm maybe going posh.
William's son Adam went to USA and was a founding father of a town in Iowa and it's on their site that I found Glengarack was a part of Scottish History, mind I also found a few errors.
Annie

Offline Isles

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 November 07 00:35 GMT (UK) »
From the following it appears that Glengerrack was originally an estate with the name surviving in the farm called Mains of Glengerrack.
Newmills has the largest rural community in Strathisla (around pop.500) and has a clear centre of population.  It is situated some 1.5 miles from Keith.  There is a network of Glens running up to 4 miles north of the village,  and the primary school catchment area includes the hamlets of Aultmore and Auchenderran to the west.  The area was originally part of the Glengerrack estate which was broken up over one hundred years ago.

1927 - 2010

Offline Adawtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 November 07 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Isla, This means that the sale I found will probably have been for the estate not just the farm. I'll have to get a copy from Elgin. It looks like the Ogilvies might have been there 100 years or so. I'm not entirely unfamillliar with the area, my step grandad was born in the Glen of Newmill and I've friends at Greenbog, just over the hill, but I couldn't find Mains of Glengerrack. It might have to wait for my next visit next April to search Keith library or Elgin for more details.  I donated a 1920 Glen of Newmill school photo to the local History group, earlier this year, not thinking I'd anybody there, I've got a scan though. Annie

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 November 07 09:22 GMT (UK) »
I have a Thomas Ogilvie, son of John Ogilvie and Bessie Barclay, born at Glengarroch in 1692. I live near Keith and I can tell you from having read some local history that the Ogilvie family (presumably of Glengerrack, and certainly from that area) were major players locally, back then. They have the biggest monuments in Keith cemetery by far.

I suspect that they were probably a cadet branch from the Earls of Findlater or Seafield at nearby Cullen on the coast. I would  like to do more research on this area, but I'm smack bang in the middle of teacher training, so I can't do too much right now, I'm afraid.
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN

Offline Adawtry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 November 07 12:17 GMT (UK) »
I'm a hundred years behind you but waiting for some OPR printouts which might decrease the gap.  There must be a huge tree out there somewhere because The Pope asked my 2 great uncles to Rome for the canonization of St John of Keith. because they were "of the same family" If the tree is in the Vatican we don't have much chance. They didn't go. When I asked my uncle Jim why not, he looked at me as if I was daft and said "I'm not RC". Do you happen to have a branch that went off to Nova Scotia? Some have turned uo from there staying with cousins in Iowa but they were born NS.