Author Topic: Seaman's Orphanage Hull  (Read 109088 times)

Offline Stangat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seaman's Orphanage Hull
« on: Wednesday 14 November 07 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Further research has now pointed me to the Seaman's Orphanage and Asylum on Spring Bank in Hull.

I can't find a detailed enough map to locate it's position. Could someone tell me were it was, presuming it was demolished, or if it is still there?

Thanks

Ian
Ellis :- Hull and Devon
Holmes :- Yorkshire
Jull :- Kent
Johnson :- Hull
Roberts :- Leicestershire
Warry :- Leicestershire
Baldwin :- Gloucestershire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Seaman's Orphanage Hull
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 18:57 GMT (UK) »
It could be that you want Newlands Orphanage in Hull.  My g.uncle was there from 1901 to 1906.  I have some photographs which I got from Hull CC Archives, but unfortunately, because of copyright I cannot put them on here.  If you send me a pm with your e-mail address I'll send them to you.

Some of the children are dressed in sailor suits and look very healthy, so even though sad that they were in the orphanage, they were probably better cared for than the children on the outside.

The orphanage is still there, but was up for sale recently.  The following is some information my 2nd cousin who still lives in Hull sent to me in an e-mail.

Recently there was a programme on Hull and it featured Newland Orphanage on Cottingham Road.  Children who were there I believe most of them were from Sailors and Seamen's Orphanage. It was run by the Sailors Families Society.  It was a mass site with individual houses probably like a boarding school.  Each house run by a master etc.  They had a beautiful swimming pool.  Both my children learnt to swim in their pool. It moved across the city and was open for more than 100 years until late into the 1990's

Hope this is of some interest to you.

Liz

Offline Stangat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Liz

Unfortunately it wasn't the Newland Home although that's where I was always told they where!! Newland was opposite Newland Avenue and next to Wheeler St Tram Shed and was still there in June.

I eventually found my relatives in the 1891 census living in the other home which was also a grand building. This one was definitely on Spring Bank, there's a photo of it in the Hull archives but I can't visualise where it was.

The information you posted was still an interesting insite. My lot were "half" orphaned when their father was drowned when his fishing smack was swamped just before Christmas 1887.

If I find out any more I'll post on here.

Thanks again

Ian

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

Sorry, it wasn't the same orphanage.  Mine were orphaned after their mother died in 1901, their father having died in 1893 from a heart problem, although he had been a mariner.

Liz

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stangat...the Seamen's Orphanage you refer to was moved from Spring Bank and became Hesslewood Orphanage...hope this helps.
Carol

>"The Hull central library has 2 items on Hesslewood orphanage.
> 1) Title: Opening of the boys' wing, Hesslewood, 1924 Author: Hull
>Seamen's & General Orphanage
>2) Title: Reports 1858-1938-39 Author: Hull Seamen's & General
>Orphanage.
>There was only one orphanage,having moved from Spring Bank, Hull to
>Hessle, eventually returning to Hull much later. The reports seem to
>consist of the honorary persons of the organisation giving themselves a
>big pat on the back each year. The staff are NEVER mentioned. What's
>new!!!
>Every year though the children in the place are listed in detail with a
>write up for each on who they are and how they came to be in the
>establishment.
> I have been informed that the Hull City Archives have the file on the
>orphanage and you could make enquiries of researcher Gareth Watkins of
>the Family History centre. The records hold such things as admissions,
>punishment, photos etc.I believe."

The dates involved here are key, we believe. It's our understanding that
boys were sent out into the world from orphanages at age 14.

l

Pexton's Almshouses, in Mariners' Court, Syke Street, were founded and endowed in 1865, by Mr. Wm. Pexton, of Cottingham, and formerly a draper at Hull. They consist of four tenements for four poor men or women, and each inmate receives 5s. a week.

Hull Seaman's and General Orphan Asylum is a handsome Elizabethan structure on the Spring Bank, covering upwards of two acres of ground, and having two extensive and open frontages. This institution was opened in 1866, since which date various additions have been made to the original buildings, a very large portion of the cost of which has been borne by Mr. Chas. H. Wilson, M.P., and his brother, Mr. Arthur Wilson, J.P. The orphanage consists of boys' and girls' wings, with separate play-grounds, day rooms, dormitories, sick wards, baths, lavatories, and officers' apartments. There is also a large school with class-rooms, dining hall, washhouse, drying-room, laundry, kitchen, store-room, disinfecting chamber, and offices. There are 210 single beds in the institution, which shelters that number of orphans, besides providing 200 others, who reside with their relatives, with education and partial clothing. The asylum is designed for orphans of seamen connected with or born within the Port of Hull and its ancient limits of Bridlington, Grimsby, Gainsborough, and Goole, or within seven miles of the Trinity House, Hull. Other orphans besides those of seamen are admitted, but the latter have precedence. The orphanage is conducted on the principles of the Church of England, but orphans of all denominations are equally eligible.

Hope this helps.
Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Stangat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carol

Thoroughly enjoyed reading all about it. I've just spoken to my dad and once he saw the picture he remembered it. It was near the railway crossing at Botanic Station. I also then learnt that it was next to St Jude's Church which my mum told me her parents were married. It always surprises me how these little snippets just appear.

Anyway, Thanks again,

Ian

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Liz

Unfortunately it wasn't the Newland Home although that's where I was always told they where!! Newland was opposite Newland Avenue and next to Wheeler St Tram Shed and was still there in June.

Ian

Just a little correction  ;) Newland homes where next to the Cottingham Road tram shed, Wheeler Street is off Anlaby Road in west Hull.

If memory serves, then the site of the seaman's orphanage on Spring Bank is now the Iceland frozen food shop.

Bee  :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stangat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 November 07 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Bee

You are of course correct :)

I should have said Hawthorne Street, don't know where I thought of Wheeler St as, as you said, it's off Anlaby Road!

At first I thought that was where the other tram shed was, but that was , I think, next to Liverpool St. Early 40's and my mind's gone already ;D ;D

Ian

Offline Stangat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 November 07 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Oh, yes forgot to say, the orphanage was almost definitely where Iceland is now. (Or in June anyway) :P