Author Topic: William Brothers died 15 Nov 1828, but where? Now completed :-)  (Read 4814 times)

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
William Brothers died 15 Nov 1828, but where? Now completed :-)
« on: Friday 16 November 07 12:21 GMT (UK) »

Hi

I have the Letter of Administration from the Prerogative Court of York for William Brothers, d. 15 November 1828, bachelor, upholsterer, late of Nottingham, which has given me heaps of information about his brothers and sisters  :) but doesn't state where he died. Two "lawful Proctors" of the City of York were appointed to deal with the paperwork which may or may not imply that he died in York/Yorkshire (his siblings all lived in the town of Nottingham).

Does William appear in the Nat Burial Index, by any chance?

With thanks
Koromo
:)

Edited to add:

Hmmmm! I've searched the trade directories for Yorkshire, and I'm coming round to thinking that he died in Nottingham afterall - he was there in 1825.  The phrase "late of Nottingham" led me to suppose that William had left Nottingham before he died, but perhaps the meaning is 'the late William of Nottingham.'

Does anyone have access to burials at the Nottingham General Cemetery? I know there is a CD available but it's not compatible with my Mac computer.

:-\

Added even later:

Nope! I now see that the General Cemetery didn't open until 1836 which is too late. Sigh!
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Brothers died 15 Nov 1828, but where?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

He is not on the Nottm Fam Hist Soc CD. I cannot find him on Ancestry either.

Do you know where he lived when he died if you see what I mean.

If you can PM me either the info on the brothers and sisters of ask me for my email.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kate Plantagenet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 May 10 07:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Koromo

Greetings from Australia.  My step-great grandmother descends from Benjamin Brothers (who married Agnes Liquorish) ; Benjamin is the son of Benjamin Brothers and Mary Hardy Wright.  I have much to tell you but probably not on this forum so if you would like to email me if that is the best way to have a 'conversation'!  I have a picture of Maria Brothers who married Rev. Benjamin Yate Ashwell in NZ.  I even have some of her letters written to her brother Benjamin (who married Agnes) back in Sofala.  Even though I do NOT descend from these amazing people  :(  my step great granny never had any children of her own so I would like to tell her story!
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely
Kate

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 May 10 20:02 BST (UK) »

Hello Kate, and welcome to RootsChat!

Gasp!  A photo of Maria?  I am descended from her brother Edward Wright Brothers — they both emigrated to NZ in 1859.

When you have made another couple of posts, I'll be able to send you a private message with my email address.

Of the ten children born to Benjamin and Agnes, only two married (I think!) and left issue.  I'm dying to know more about your step-gr-grandmother. :D

Best wishes
Koromo

Offline Kate Plantagenet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 May 10 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi!  I have many photos (with no names) however the picture of Maria Brothers (Ashwell) is a portrait - not in my possession - with my Grandfather.  It is small but beautiful.  I also have a couple of letters written by Maria Ashwell from Taupiri mentioning your Edward Brothers.  They were sent to Benjamin - brother to both Maria and Edward - and then passed on down to me.  These letters also mention 'Uncle William' who is in Nottinghamshire; however this William could possibly be a brother to their mother - ie.  Is there a William Wright?

So many questions....I will post the transcription of the letters if you would like to read them  ;)

You are right about only two of Benjamin and Agnes' children marrying.  Not only that, but Maria Brothers who married Benjamin Millin (I know what you are thinking - ANOTHER BENJAMIN) only had one child Agnes Millin, and that was my step-gr granny who never had any children.  So Benjamin and Agnes Brothers line of descent was completely snuffed out!  I would have been expecting at least 20 grandchildren if I had managed to have 10 children!!!  Alas.  They only had one, and that was dear Agnes Millin.  Agnes kept everything, which is why 150 years later I can read a letter written to her grandfather from his uncle Robert A Brothers back in Nottingham.

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 May 10 09:30 BST (UK) »

Edward and Maria did have an "Uncle William" and is the one mentioned at the start of this thread. He was bapt. 6 Oct 1791 at Nottingham St Mary's, and died 15 Nov 1828.  But, as you say, the William in the letters could be a maternal uncle, but I've never identified Mary Hardy WRIGHT's parents or family.  I have her death certificate which unfortunately is severely limited in its information — oh for Aust/NZ certificates!

One of Agnes MILLLIN's brothers was Robert BROTHERS, b. 1865 Sofala, wasn't he? And he married Elma Editlh LILLAS in Sydney 1893?  I can see two of their children in the NSW BDMs, and from a tiny Ancestry tree there is a son ([coincidentally?] with the same name as a Nottingham relative) … and they all ended up in South Africa!  I have tried to contact the owner of the tree, but she has never responded.

I also thought it extraordinary that from 10 children — well, from the eight who survived to adulthood, Agnes MILLIN was the only descendant I could find.  Mind you, Edward Wright BROTHERS had nine children who all married, so he may have made up the shortfall, as it were.

I shall attempt to send you a private message.  If you don't receive it, reply to this post and I'll try again.

:)
Koromo

Offline Gday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Brothers died 15 Nov 1828, but where? Now completed :-)
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 06:57 BST (UK) »
Kate this is Brad. I wonder if you have any info on my Ancestor James Skelly (or Skelley). He was a friend of Benjamin Brothers and Agnes, and married her sister Sarah in Sofala NSW. Benjamin was a witness. I'm trying to find out if they knew each other in Sydney or elsewhere. I can help you with info on Agnes etc if needed.
Cheers

Offline Kate Plantagenet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 May 12 07:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Brad
I'm sorry I have not done any research on your Skelly family.  I am happy to share any Brothers or Liquorish information with you though!

Best wishes

Kate

Offline Gday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 January 15 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Kate,
It's taken me several years to reply to your last message, and sorry for my delay!
Again, I am looking for any information on my ancestor James Skelly, who married Sarah Liquorish in Sofala in 1859. Her Sister Agnes married Benjamin Brothers in 1854. What I am wondering, do you have any idea when And how Benjamin Brothers arrived in Sydney? It may give me some clue as to when James met Benjamin and under what circumstances.
If you can possibly reply to my email fawe99@gmail.com as I don't often look at rootschat.
Thanks, Brad Wilson