Author Topic: Gordon Family -- Penninghame  (Read 12687 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon Family -- Penninghame
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 November 07 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Well Peter,

Do let us know how you go and what you find out!

It is always interesting to learn the outcome of a query by a RootsChatter, and of one's efforts to assist ...  :)

Cheers,

JAP

Offline burklegs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 June 11 19:57 BST (UK) »
I have a Helen Gordon b. abt 1833 who married Andrew Ferguson b. abt 1833. They lived in Newton-Stewart and died there in 1887 (he) and 1893 (she). Anyone know her parents?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 June 11 20:05 BST (UK) »
I have a Helen Gordon b. abt 1833 who married Andrew Ferguson b. abt 1833. They lived in Newton-Stewart and died there in 1887 (he) and 1893 (she). Anyone know her parents?

Hi

Accroding to their marriage cert - 1 Dec 1881, Kirkcowan, Wigtownshire -she 47 and he 48 - her parents were Peter Gordon (farmer) and Helen Gordon, maiden surname, Gordon (deceased).

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline burklegs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 June 11 20:11 BST (UK) »
thanks for that quick response. Wow. cm

Offline Mel P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 01:08 GMT (UK) »
I realise this is a way old thread, but I only discovered it a few days ago when doing a search for my 2Xgreat-Grandfather, Samuel Gordon, born Newton Stewart, Wigtownshire, 1849.  He and his brother, Wallace Gordon, married in New South Wales, then moved to Queensland (where they died; Samuel in 1925 and Wallace in 1903).  "MY" Wallace Gordon was born 1842-ish (death registration information) to Wallace and Margaret Gordon.  This would make him the son mentioned here:
And finally ...

From the Wigtownshire Free Press BDMs at:
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~leighann/wfp/intro.html

GORDON, Male - B26/2/1843 - At Newton-Stewart, on the 26th ultimo, Mrs Wallace Gordon, of a son.

I have found that, not only did Samuel and Wallace emigrate, the brothers and sister mentioned in this thread also emigrated and so did their MOTHER. (She died in the Concord district of NSW in 1873.)
This family was pretty much a brickwall for me until the other day, because I was working from my mother's notes which had Wallace marrying the sister of Samuel's wife.  But I have cleared that up and Samuel's sister-in-law married a Peattie, not a Gordon.  It was a totally different Catherine McCrea who married Wallace.  (I'm fairly sure that Wallace and Catherine were childless, but I have to admit my research on that line has been sketchy as Samuel and Minnie had 10 kids and tracking them down has been my focus.)
What I am hoping for by making this humongous (first) post is (a) that user JAP is still around nd still interested in the outcome of this particular search by indigobloke and (b) that indigobloke is still around because it looks as though we are cousins.
Please let there be somebody "out there" still.  :)

Offline Mel P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 January 19 18:06 GMT (UK) »
I tried to send a private message because, according to https://www.rootschat.com/forum/aboutus.php, "you can contact others by private message".
However, when I attempted to do just that, I got "An Error Has Occurred!
You are not allowed to send personal messages."

I guess I'll just abandon my attempt to link up with this branch of my family. 

I was hoping I had information that the OP (indigobloke) did not have, seeing he seemed to have limited information of only a couple of the brothers, but nobody seems interested at all.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 January 19 19:47 GMT (UK) »
MelP - you have to have 3 posts before  you can Personal Message.  Post away then send your PM.

cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 06 January 19 20:06 GMT (UK) »

Mel - Welcome  :)

I've just sent a PM to indigobloke to draw attention to your post. He was on the site recently so hope he replies  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline indigobloke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 06 January 19 20:54 GMT (UK) »
I am sure I answered this a while ago but I can't see my reply on the thread ...

Mel P, my original post is over 10 years old and I was quite the novice back then. I was wrong and, as you can see from my footer, I have since found that my Gordon roots are in Midlothian. So, I'm sorry that we will not be able to assist each other's research.

Peter (indigobloke)
Wilson (Wakefield, Yorkshire)
Gordon (Midlothian)
Ruddle (Wiltshire)
Alley (Laois)
Pierce (Westmeath)