Author Topic: Gordon Family -- Penninghame  (Read 12661 times)

Offline Mel P

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon Family -- Penninghame
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 January 19 01:16 GMT (UK) »
I am sure I answered this a while ago but I can't see my reply on the thread ...

Mel P, my original post is over 10 years old and I was quite the novice back then. I was wrong and, as you can see from my footer, I have since found that my Gordon roots are in Midlothian. So, I'm sorry that we will not be able to assist each other's research.

Peter (indigobloke)

Thanks for the welcome, folks.  :)

@ Peter: I knew it was really old, but I hoped you'd still see it as you were showing as active when I checked your profile, unlike JAP who seems to have dropped out a few years after this thread .. although that matters less now, as I have certificates to back up my research.

So the John Gordon who died in 1865 (from a boiler explosion, not drowning) is not your however-many-greats grandfather?  :(  (I was quite excited at finding a new cousin.)

Oh, well, back to looking for the rest of the family.

Offline indigobloke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 07 January 19 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Mel P

"my" John Gordon died in 1863, of something liver related, at the age of 51. Good luck with your researches!

Peter
Wilson (Wakefield, Yorkshire)
Gordon (Midlothian)
Ruddle (Wiltshire)
Alley (Laois)
Pierce (Westmeath)

Offline Mel P

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 07 January 19 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Mel P

"my" John Gordon died in 1863, of something liver related, at the age of 51. Good luck with your researches!

Peter

Thanks for the good wishes.  :)
I already have the John Gordon (from your OP) with birth, marriage, death and children.  His brother, my 2Xgreat-grandfather (Samuel) identified his brother's body after the boiler explosion.  He was 16 (Samuel, that is; John was aged 27 and an engineer).
I have their mother, Margaret née Vernon, baptism, marriage, death, burial; and HER parents James Vernon and Margaret Dixson/Dickson (and at least one brother, James and some of his family).
I have Robert, brother to John and Samuel, birth, marriage, death, burial.
I have the "missing" Margaret from the census JAP posted.  She, too, emigrated (pretty much anyone living (that I have so far found) did).  She was married and had kids.  I have the death and burial information, but not marriage except last name.
Isabella, as posted as a "maybe" in this thread, WAS their sister.  I have her death and burial as well.  (Still looking for the marriage.)
I already had Wallace, long before I found your post, so I have his marriage and death etc, as well.
(I know you're probably not interested in this anymore, as they aren't yours, but some day, someone will come along as I did, so this information is for THAT person.)
I cannot find Mary, James, or Jessie, but haven't expended a lot of time on them yet, as I have so many in my direct line still to correctly source.
Wallace senior, the father, has to have been a pod person (my daughter's explanation for another un-findable relative who married, had kids, died, but has NO birth registration despite it, by then, being mandatory), because all I have ever found for him was his marriage.  No birth or baptism (except a possible who would have been 50-ish at marriage, which would make him abt 70 by the time Samuel was conceived).  No death or burial; yet he has to have died prior to the 1851 census, unless Margaret lied about being a widow.  (Maybe she was a "grass widow".)  He had to have still been living in 1848 to have fathered Samuel, unless that, too, was a lie.  (He IS listed on the certificate as the "lawful son of Wallace and Margaret".)  So, really, there is a small window, but a HUGE world (especially if Margaret lied about being a widow)!

Of course, I also have the generations down from Samuel to me.

Cheers .. and good luck with your own tree building!