Author Topic: Circus Look Ups  (Read 52717 times)

Offline vimira

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Circus Look Ups
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 22 November 07 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lorraine

Yes that is the census entry I have & I wondered if they were on others, as I can't find them anywhere else. It is the Mills I am looking for - any will do

Vimira
Elliott Drury Mills Harwood/Haywood Smith Bailey Lincs/Notts/Leics

Offline lorraine copeland

• RootsChat Member
  • copeland coat of arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 23 November 07 10:04 GMT (UK) »
HI Flora

the only entry i can find that comes near your info is this one from the 1881 census

Caravans, Mitcham Common, Mitcham Surrey1881
Thomas WILSON M 41  M Rawcliffe, York,  Head Traveller (Hawker)
Jane WILSON M 41  F Oppingham, Rutland, Wife
Mary WILSON   11  F Lincoln,  Niece

Lorraine
Crake Durham,  Copeland Lancashire/manfield 
Holmes Leeds

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 24 November 07 06:52 GMT (UK) »
circus folk are not on the normal census records as they where classed travellers so they had a seperate census done which includes fairground gypse hawkers and general travelleres

lorraine

Hi Lorraine,

I'm surprised that they appeared from their caravans to participate in the Census.

Some circus people hate meeting officials 8) Did most of them actually give their real names?

How does one go about finding travelling people and members of Circuses touring in Ireland? Would they also have a special census?

Christopher

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 24 November 07 16:37 GMT (UK) »

Hi Lorraine,

I'm surprised that they appeared from their caravans to participate in the Census.

Some circus people hate meeting officials 8) Did most of them actually give their real names?

they Gypsy folk still do have a problem with that! ;D

when we 'move them on' are we playing into their hands? (a little joke from Jimmy Carr!)

Toni
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

• RootsChat Member
  • copeland coat of arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 24 November 07 18:58 GMT (UK) »

Plenty of national censuses have been conducted in Ireland. For any genealogist hoping to find records from the 19th century though, the tale is one of frustration. The first four Irish censuses (1821-1851) were largely destroyed by fire in 1922; all that survive are fragments. As if that wasn't pain enough, the government destroyed the returns from 1861-1891. That means you're completely out of luck for 19th century censuses.

unless they where touring england, scotland, wales when the census was conducted 
Holmes Leeds

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 26 November 07 18:06 GMT (UK) »

Plenty of national censuses have been conducted in Ireland. For any genealogist hoping to find records from the 19th century though, the tale is one of frustration. The first four Irish censuses (1821-1851) were largely destroyed by fire in 1922; all that survive are fragments. As if that wasn't pain enough, the government destroyed the returns from 1861-1891. That means you're completely out of luck for 19th century censuses.

unless they where touring england, scotland, wales when the census was conducted 

I live in Ireland and know all about the various methods of destroying census records. I find it astounding that some were destroyed on instructions of the Government and within the past few days our present Government has managed to lose a massive amount of records and now have the police searching various premises around the country in the hope of finding them.

You referred to Travellers Census Records. Were they separate Census for Travellers or were they extracted from the completed Census?  I knew about the Census for Ships in Port but not the one for Travellers till you mentioned it.

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorraine

Could you check your records for me for John Flexney, born Witney Oxfordshire 1840. He was a musician with a travelling Wild West Show in 1891 (in the Wiltshire area) but I've not found him in 1901 - I believe he may have died c. 1905

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

• RootsChat Member
  • copeland coat of arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher

Please check out this link below i think it explains most of what you ars asking hope it helps

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hitch/gendocs/census2.html

lorraine
Holmes Leeds

• RootsChat Member
  • copeland coat of arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

im sorry iv looked through the census records and found no entry for

Could you check your records for me for John Flexney, born Witney Oxfordshire 1840. He was a musician with a travelling Wild West Show in 1891 (in the Wiltshire area) but I've not found him in 1901 - I believe he may have died c. 1905

Lorraine
Holmes Leeds