Author Topic: Circus Look Ups  (Read 52917 times)

Offline JStockley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Circus Look Ups
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 11 April 09 15:25 BST (UK) »
John Turner's book "Victorian Arena"  lists Billy Durant as a 'clown noted with Myer's circus in 1880s'

He also has an entry for James Durant ........ "clown and acrobat. Born 1872. appeared in all the big circuses, since 1886, travelling in Britain, Europe and America. Leader of the famous 'Flying Aeronaughts Troupe'.

Died 1 Nov 1926 aged 54yrs. Durant Brothers, nondescript contortionists and comedians were with Stephenson's Circus in 1929 and may have been his sons"

Offline hallega

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 11 April 09 18:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the prompt reply, I actually gave John turner this information for his book, but I didn't realise that there was a Billy Durant, so it seems that I have to do a bit more digging.
Happy easter to you and yours.  :)

Offline sweet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 09 October 09 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Copeland,
Could you please help me find ancestors, David Hutchinson,wife Ann and daughter, Harriet, in 1841 census?  David was allegedly appearing with W F Wallett but I can't find him.
Also David Taylor(Tayleure), wife Ada and son David in 1901 census.
Thanks Sweet.

Offline dancing lady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 31 October 09 04:58 GMT (UK) »
For many years I have been looking for a family legend.Two brothers who were acrobats in the circus, I presume around Yorkshire or Nottingham I don't know if their surnames were Simpson or Johnson. I have looked in all the ordinary census & didn't know there was a special one for circus folk.Any help appreciated. dancing lady in Australia

Offline cdrinkhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 20 February 10 15:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for any information regarding the circus Atrato & Allens. I have found information in the 1881 travellers census but that's all, any information or advice would be appreciated

Offline lyndahirst_1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 28 February 10 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Copeland

Oral family history states my grandfather, George BEARD was a trapeeze artist in the circus. He was born in Swansea in 1885 and although I located him on the 1891 census as a child, no success with 1901 or 1911 census returns.

I do know he was in Swansea in 1916 as have a marriage certificate for him - this first wife died in 1926 and George married again in 1930 - that marraige certificate palces him in Swansea again.  I also know he enlisted in 1918, in Cardiff with home address given in Swansea where his first wife Elizabeth lived. His 1916 marriage certificate indicates he is now employed as a dock worker so I can only guess that the period invovled for his circus life, would be before 1916 when he married.

I'd be grateful for any leads you might be able to uncover based on such very sketchy details.

Cheers....
Lynda NZ
South Wales - main trunk family names - mam's side:-
Beard, Crandon, Clement, Lawrence, Langdon, Cartwright, Griffiths, Housego, Llewellyn, Stevens, Thomas. 

Father's side:
Williams, Rosser, Griffiths, Jones, Thomas, Llewellyn, Charles, Davies, Phillips, Powell

Offline Lsmithers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 02 July 10 12:00 BST (UK) »

if any one wants a lookup please ask and i will be glad to check it out for you

i also have the census records for 1841, 1851, 1861,1871,1881,1891,1901
for circus and fairground folk

Offline Lsmithers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 02 July 10 12:01 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any further information on a Mr Otho Twigg. Otho held various positions (mainly equestrienne) within many circus’s (Sanger’s, Henglers, Ohmy’s, Forepaughs, Lockharts, Barnum &Baileys) he eventually became the Ringmaster at the London Hippodrome when it opened in 1900, in 1910 he became the ringmaster at the New York Hippodrome.
    Otho married a Margaret Harriet Davies in Cardiff in 1886. Margaret was an Equestrienne bareback rider, using the stage names of ‘Maggie Sivado’ (Davis spelt backwards), Marguerite Doris and Maggie Twigg. Otho and Margaret had 2 daughters that I am aware of, but sadly both died in infancy.
    Margaret’s younger sister Pauline also worked in the circus as a Equestrienne too and married a John McCambridge (My family's connection) – Pauline’s stage name also varied over the years but these are two that I know off – ‘Polly Sivado’ (once again Davis spelt backwards) and ‘Madame Olva’. John and Pauline McCambridge had 4 children that I know off – John b 1888, Margaret b 1889, Otho b1897 and Pauline b 1904.
    I believe the two sisters and their respective families worked with each other throughout their lives all over Europe and The USA. I have found several references to all of these people in ‘THE STAGE ARCHIVES’ and ‘THE ERA ARCHIVES’ – but would truly love to find a picture of any of them!
    Otho seemed to have a very prominent role and was great friends with Marceline Orbes, surely there must be a photograph somewhere!! Any help would be truly amazing - I’m based in England but I know they worked a lot in the USA!

Offline jodeorfe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 09 July 10 21:51 BST (UK) »
Please could you look up for me and see if there's any record of a David Sharpe or Sharp who was a blacksmith for the travelling circus?