Author Topic: Circus Look Ups  (Read 52884 times)

Offline RichardDurrant

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah Hughes Stephenson / Chadwick
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 11:19 BST (UK) »
For information, Photo's of Hannah amd some of her children are on family trees on Ancesrty

Offline cdrinkhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Circus Look Ups
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 11:11 BST (UK) »
As part of my research into Wiliam Smith Atrato Circus Equestrian, Gymnast &

Circus owner. I came across a photo of Cal McCord cowboy  is any one

researching Cal McCord that has any information about his early life and career.

Offline mfb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Friday 01 January 16 00:10 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for John Miller who married Harriet Agnes Taylor (parents David Burrows Taylor/Tayleur and Ada Alexandra Knight of Hutchinson and Tayleure circus etc.) in 1915   Would you mind checking for me before and after that time until the end of 1918. Thanks.

Offline KarolynM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 15 March 18 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I am looking for any information on F.W Oscar Vetter, his wife Rosa and their children. I know that the family were circus artistes and later Music Hall Artistes. F. W Oscar Vetter was born in Berlin, Germany in about 1851. I am not sure when he joined the circus but I know that he married a lady called Rosa Steinbecker and had, according to the 1911 census, seven children.  I only know of  three children. F W was known as Oscar and he has an entry in Turners' Circus guide. I know that in 1911. Oscar was living in London and was about 59 years old. I have found a death certificate for Oscar in German records for 1918 although not the cause of death, but I cannot find any records for Rosa's death in German or in U.K records. Did they emigrate to another country perhaps?  Are there any other circus trapeze artists that I may be related to.  I would also like to try and find out the name of their circus act and possibly which circus they belonged to. If anyone has information about this family, I would love to hear from you.
Thank you.  KarolynM.

Offline Doodlebuggy8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 28 August 22 20:40 BST (UK) »
Please could you look up the travelling circus census for Thomas henry Eugene M Sylvester born in 1964 (possibly listed also as 1963 depending on the cencus). He was also known as Thomas Montgomery Sylvester. He owned Sylvesters Circus (Sylvesters 2 ring circus, Sylvesters modern circus) and also a company called  Cinema Circus and Varieties Ltd.  He also went on to be the creator of Bradford holidays at home.
In the family there were rumours he was either sold or adopted to a circus when he was young but no one know who his parents were, and in 1877 at around 13  he was spoken about in a newspaper clipping regarding Atrato and Allen's grand circus and stated as the apprentice of William Smith Atrato. Thomas was an equine performer here. As the years went on he became a proprietor.
In one of his circus programmes I have he has Claude Onny and John fossett, Fred Ginnett, Potters worlds greatest flying gymnasts however there is not a lot on him bar what family members can tell me.
I would be really interested in hearing anything anyone knows about him.

Offline bianchi.researcher

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I don't know if you ever got any more information about THES, but I have researched him a little as he married the sister of my 2xggf. I have found him on the censuses up to 1901: 71 in Sneinton, 81 in South Shields, 91 in Wigan, 01 in Southport. I have the details if you still need them and I am working with a descendant of THES at the moment to try to fill in some gaps. Let me know if you need  the details.