Author Topic: Deaths, Annan area, FARISH - COMPLETED  (Read 8303 times)

Offline johnbshepherd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths, Annan area, FARISH - COMPLETED
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 06:24 BST (UK) »
I came acros this thread by chance when searching for my direct  ancestor (GGGG grandfather) Alexander Shepherd. His gravestone is (or was) in Brigham cemetery near Cockermouth and from the inscription I know that he died in Brigham in 1809. From his age at death  he was born in about 1771. I have been unable to trace Alexander's ancestry until now. From this thread I see that his mother was Mary Charters and that Alexander probably came from Scotland. Using this information I have found from the LDS site that Alexander was born in 1769 in Dalton, Dumfries. His mother was born Mary Charters but was married to John Shepherd at the time that Alexander was born. Presumably Alexander moved across the Solway as a young man because he married Mary Vickers in Cockermouth in 1794. The main remaining mystery is why George Rule is described as her son. Could there have beeen a mistake in transcribing the original inscription?  A George Rule was born in Annan in 1775 which would make him the same age as this George. His mother was Agnes Welch. The inscription would then be explained if Agnes's name was originally on the monument preceding George's but had worn away by the time it was transcribed. Is this possible? Any help from contributors would be gratefully received.
Shepherd
Mannion
Kelly
Allen

Offline SC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 June 11 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi John

Very interested to hear that you are related to Alexander Shepherd as the Mary Charters/Alexander Shepherd connection to my Farishes has always been a big mystery, and perhaps together we can work it out.  Alexander Farish married an Isabella Rule who I believe to be the daughter of William Rule and Christina Henry and I assumed that the George Rule mentioned on the grave to be her uncle, although the only sibling I have found to date for William is a John (who married a Margaret Lister interred in an adjacent grave)
You mention finding a Geo Rule with mother Agnes Welch in 1775 in Annan which matches the death age but there is also one in 1765 with the same parents listed.  Did one die or is there a mistake?
I have seen the grave and there is no way there is a line missing, however the inscription was done on two seperate occasions.
Do you have any further information on George or his family?
Regards, SC

Offline johnbshepherd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 June 11 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi SC

Thanks for responding. I am afraid that I have no more information about George Rule or the Farish family. In fact, finding out about the Cummertrees inscription was the first indication that I had that they were connected with Alexander Shepherd at all. There seems little doubt that this is the same Alexander Shepherd as my direct ancestor. His gravestone is, or was, in Brigham cemetery. Fortunately the inscriptions were trancribed in 1878 and published originally by Henry Thomas Wake. The complete collection is available from parishchest.com in PDF format. Alexander's gravestone is inscribed:

"In Memory of Alexander Shepherd who died  the 19th of January 1809, Aged 38 Years. Also of Mary his Wife who died the 28th day of January, 1850 Aged 84 Years. Also of George his Son, who died April 11th 1809; Aged 15 Years. Also Alexander their Son who died June 6th, 1862, Aged 57 Years. Isabella, Wife of Alexander
Shepherd died May 2nd 1835, aged 32 Years"

This leaves little doubt that this is the same Alexander Shepherd who is commemorated in Cummertrees. Tracing the descent from Alexander to me is fairly straightforward. Alexander's grandson John Shepherd moved to Warrington in Lancashire in the 1840's and I am his gg grandson.

The connection with George Rule and Alexander Farish is unclear to me. Given that my theory about a worn gravestone is wrong the only possibility which would explain the inscription seems to be that George Rule was Mary Charters's stepson. That is that Alexander's father and George's mother both died and that Mary Charters/Shepherd re-married George's father William Rule. This is pure speculation. I can find no evidence to support it at all. It is not easy for me to search original records since I now live in Australia but I can find nothing in the internet sources that I know about

Best Regards

John Shepherd
Shepherd
Mannion
Kelly
Allen

Offline SC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 03:54 BST (UK) »
Hi John

I am fully in agreement with you that your Alexander Shepherd is the same one who is commemorated in Cummertrees.  You say Alexander Shepherd was your 4xgt grandfather.  Alexander Farish was my 2xgt grandfather so obviously we are distantly related and it would appear that this George Rule is the common link.   Somehow we have to find it!
There is some family information that you might be interested in so I will contact you by personal message.

SC

Offline yeldhammer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 10:13 BST (UK) »
Came across this thread today, I have for sometime been trying to find details of my G/G/grandmothers family who were Farish's and came from Annan.  Her name was Esther her father I believe was William and mother was Esther.  They and family in 1811 lived in Burgh South Side.  Just wondered as you are researching Farish's whether you have come across this family.

Offline SC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 03:45 BST (UK) »
Hi yeldhammer

Very sorry but I have not come across any Esther's and have no more information on the Farish's other than those already mentioned on the thread

SC

Offline thelocksmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 July 11 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi SC,

I was researching a 1905 postcard I have in my collection and Google found your old request for information about Tom Holland from Wigan.

The card I have dates from 1905 and is signed:-

From Mr & Mrs Tom Holland, Glenroy, Wigan 1905.

I know this is quite a bit later than the Tom Holland you are looking for but possibly it's the same family ?

Kind regards,

Andy

Offline SC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 July 11 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

I don't know how to link back to my other thread but really this should go on the Lancashire Board
Unfortunately the Thomas Holland I was researching died within a very short while of his marriage so I have not considered researching any further as he was such a brief connection and there were no children
If you need info on your Holland family, maybe you could start a thread on the Lancashire board

SC

Offline thelocksmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 02 July 11 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi SC,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I'm not researching the Holland family as such - I collect items associated with Wigan and always Google the details whenever I buy something new.

Kind regards,

Andy