Author Topic: alice island  (Read 13530 times)

Offline carlingford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
alice island
« on: Monday 19 November 07 11:59 GMT (UK) »
i am looking for any info on brothers peter, larry, william, james, lawrence Hardy all from omeath. they left for america ithink in the 1930s or 40s and landed at alice island. thanks, carlingford.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: alice island
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 03:48 GMT (UK) »
i am looking for any info on brothers peter, larry, william, james, lawrence Hardy all from omeath. they left for america ithink in the 1930s or 40s and landed at alice island. thanks, carlingford.

Hello Carlingford,
Do you mean Ellis Island ???

Christopher

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 April 08 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Carlingford

Have you looked at the passenger lists on Find My Past, (findmypast.com)

The search is on this link. 

http://www.rootschat.com/links/039h/

There are some Lawrence Hardy's in the early 20C.  There are many from ports in Ireland, but  of course many Irish passengers would have been on boats which left from Liverpool or other places.

It's free to search, but you pay to see the full details.  There are some lists on Ancestry, which you might get a free trial on, or get to use free at your local library.

The Ellis Islland site is free and is brilliant, but I think your date may be too late.  I'm not sure.

There's also loads of brilliant advice and resources on the Rootschat Immigration and Emmigration boards, too.

Good luck and best wishes

By the way, Welcome to Rootschat! :) :) 8) 8) :)

I'm just noticing it's only your second post. 
You'll get loads of help and advice on here.

Emms

Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 April 08 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Carlingford,

Sorry ... I should have welcomed you in my first message.

Did the Hardy brothers leave Omeath at the same time or in different years? It would help to look at the passenger lists if you had a more accurate date. The Newry Democrat or another paper that covers the Omeath area may have had an article about them leaving if they left together. A post on the Omeath website may also produce results. www.newrydemocrat.com www.omeath.ie

Christopher

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 April 08 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Carlingford

Just another thought.

Depending where they ended up, you may find infoormation in American or Canadian documents.  I'm not sure what you have access to, either.  Do you know their final, main destination?  I know they may have spread out eventually.

I know the first thing my friend asked me to find out about her family, was what happened to her ggrandfather, and despite finding all sorts, it defeated us for years.  She knew a couple of his daughters might have gone to Canada.

Out of the blue, one day on Ancestry Library, I found a death for him in Canada  and got to view the certificate free.

I went on to find and get enough certificates (For free), to tell me that all of a large family apart from a couple we knew about had gone to Canada and evidence of most of their marriages and how they died.  I still don't know about all of their children, and it depends where they went.

This was for Ontario Canada., which is particularly well covered, but there are loads of censuses and directories for Canada and USA, and immigration records.

If you tell us where, someone will probably help.

I would try findmypast.com though.

Best wishes

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline Gallrv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 May 11 23:50 BST (UK) »
I know that this is an old question,but I am just starting my search.SO the William in this question is my grandfather.I have put this together as much as I can.It looks like he came to America about 1920.Peter I remember as a dapper man.He never married nor did Laurence or Maggie(Aunt Ursula) I can only remember meeting them once.They lived in New York.My grandfather, William married my GM in 1921. Her name was Mary Ann Walsh.She had one son at the time and they together had 6 more children.I pray I receive an answer on this. Thank you
P.S. saw the picture I heard him referred to as Christy

Offline irishresearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 10:34 BST (UK) »
From Carlingford Parish-

1904 Peter Hardy  Knocknagoran Parents John Hardy & Anne Connolly sponsors Patrick O'Hagan & Rose A, McManus.

Offline Gallrv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 May 11 00:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you.I still have to write a letter to my mother's cousin.I found some interesting things on William my grandfather.I have read so much.I am getting a real history lesson of Ireland.I know that according to census in america William came in 1920.I am still trying to figure out why they stayed in Irelnd until then.Thanks so much a greatful grandaughter