Author Topic: Moffat's from Polmont & Anderson's from Denny  (Read 3286 times)

Offline Anderson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Moffat's from Polmont & Anderson's from Denny
« on: Friday 31 December 04 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Would appreciate any tie up with anyone researching Moffat's from Polmont mid 1800's and also Anderson's from Denny-Drymen 1850's-1950's both Stirlingshire. These are my direct blood line.
hope you all have a great new year
Anderson
Scotland - Stirlingshire area:
Anderson - Moffat - Comrie - Rankin - Reid - Sneddon-Snaddon

Scotland - Renfrewshire - Thorn - Johnstone:
Speirs - Watson - Fillans - Logie

England - Leeds - Yorkshire:
Oddy - Littlewood

England - Sudbury - Suffolk
Hempstead - French - Newell - Healey - Cole - Andrews

England - Staplehurst - Kent
Alchin - Waters

England - Birmingham
Bayley - Baker - Barford

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Moffat's from Polmont & Anderson's from Denny
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 March 05 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I apologise in advance if this message appears more than once - every time I click post, it says 'you have already posted this message'!

Anyway, I am in the process of photographing and transcribing Denny Cemetery and I think I may have found your David Anderson.  The stone gives his date of death as 14th October 1924 aged 78 years. Do you think it'd the David you're looking for?  There are also details of his wife, his mother-in-law, his daughter and a few others. If it is, get back to me and I'll send you the full details on the stone and also a photograph.

Anne

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 March 05 16:52 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to say, after reading the thread about Denny Picture Hall, I noticed someone had mentioned a possible mistake on a Cencus. If this is the right David, then he would have had at least one son, David aged 4.

If the David I found (in the cemetery) is yours, then his wife, Christina Graham died on the 30th April 1880 (aged 31 years).

On the stone it says that he had a son William who died in 1875 aged 5, then it says he also had a daughter Jeanie who died 20th June 1894 aged 1 year 5 months, so David remarried.

His second wife I presume (now the stone makes sense to me) was Margaret McInnes Ramsay, she died 19th November 1929 aged 74 years. (This one must have been daughter Jeanie's mother.

Christina was the mother of William above and another son David, date of death 5th June 1949 age 72 years, making his date of birth 1877.

Are you following me? I could probably have made this a lot easier to understand!

Anyway,also on the stone it mentions David's mother-in-law as a Catherine Amos and an Alexander Rankin Anderson but doesn't say what relationship this person was.

Anne.

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 January 12 07:57 GMT (UK) »
any moffatt's related to gillespies or lynn's or grant's.?

M.

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 January 12 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hope this helps:

:)

Obituary:

Falkirk Herald Saturday, 18 Oct. 1924 Pge 9 Col.1
The late David Anderson
The death took place somewhat suddenly on Tues.of Mr David Anderson, retired merchant, Glasgow Rd.Denny, at the age of 77 yrs. Deceased was in his eary days employed by Messrs. Edgar & Strang, merchants, Stirling St. and latterly started business for himself. Mr Anderson built the public hall, and for a time showed considerable versatility in business affairs. In his hall connection he came into constant touch with entertainment caterers of the old concert days, and he was held in high esteem amongst them. Mrs Anderson and a grown up family survive, and they have the sympathy of the public in their bereavement.
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 February 12 14:14 GMT (UK) »
I have links with Moffatt's from Denny.

M.