Author Topic: Thomas / Griffiths - Maesteg  (Read 7762 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas / Griffiths - Maesteg
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 November 07 13:04 GMT (UK) »
I can't even find a Martha with a father Herbert in any of the censuses!!  :'(

I was hoping that William might be nearby in 1901 - just checking!  ;)

Sending for reinforcements ...

;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline DiNA_T

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 24 November 07 17:35 GMT (UK) »
No - Martha wasn't living at home either.  She was in service with David and Elizabeth  (there may be a family connection I  don't know) Neath Road, Maesteg.

I have found Herbert (only one T there) on the 1901 census at  Gelli Road, Ystradyfodwg with his wife and other members of the family. And also the family together on various earlier censuses too.
Staffordshire: Wilshaw, Malbon, Leak, Buckley
Glamorgan: Griffiths, Thomas
Montgomery: Matthews, Edwards, Beaman, Herbert?

Offline Lyndon1951

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 01:13 BST (UK) »
1826/9 ?Griffiths of Maenclochog had a son called Stephen who in 1841 was living above a stable with a  workmate Mathais Morris at Llandilo, (West Maenclochog) . In 1851 he is a Lodger with the Lewis family living at 30 Brown Street, Higher Hamlet, Maesteg.  Stephen marries  1849 ? to  Elizabeth Williams (born1826) and while living at  53 Bowrington Street, (Neath road) they have 4 children John 1852 Anne 1854/6 Margaret 1857 Mary 1860 they move to 59 Commercial Street and have their 5th child, Sarah 1863.
This is the Mary (born 1860) who when living at  4 Temple Street, gives birth to  William Griffiths 5th October 1880 .(father unknown) .  Mary gives up the child to he sister Anne (or Annie) , who is married to David Thomas and from then on is brought up as William Thomas (with his first cousins as adopted siblings)  Elizabeth A 1877 Sarah 1879 John 1882 Stephen1884  Susannah 1887 Margaret 1891 David Joseph 1897. Living at 9 Station Street, and
later to Shoemaker Row, and to 31 Castle Street , Maesteg.  William goes on to marry Martha Matthews .
What happens to Mary Griffiths, William's birth mother I have not found . She is not found living with her widowed father or siblings. 

Offline Lyndon1951

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Mary Griffiths's son William was adopted by her sister Annie who you will find in the 1881 Census . Annie is married to David Thomas who William takes the name of .  I think Mary moved to Cowbridge to work for John D Evans's family as a General Servant . After that I loose her , but if she remained unmarried in the same area , it could be her died Cowbridge Sept 1945 at the age of 85  ...?