Author Topic: olde english  (Read 10174 times)

Offline emarbe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: olde english
« Reply #27 on: Monday 26 November 07 15:08 GMT (UK) »
This is interesting, but might not be as old as all that. I have pens and could write in the same style. The best thing to get a rough idea of date is to look at the paper it is written on, it is definitely machine made, in fact the large piece looks like part of an envelope.

Mike
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 26 November 07 18:45 GMT (UK) »
This is interesting, but might not be as old as all that. I have pens and could write in the same style. The best thing to get a rough idea of date is to look at the paper it is written on, it is definitely machine made, in fact the large piece looks like part of an envelope.

Mike

This is the trouble in dating secretary hand which was used on offical legal documents for several hundred years - really until they started to type them - without a context it is very difficult to date it.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline sharpie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Family Reflections
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 03 December 07 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Sorry if this a bit off topic,  but as I a member of a pub quiz team, who last night was faced with the question, who was the giant from Greek mythology with 100 eyes, I would like to thank Berlin Bob for my being able to answer correctly.
Before reading this topic I would not have had a clue, isn't it amazing what genealogy teaches you!!

Sharpie
Sharp/Leicestershire       Warburton/Yorkshire/Lincolnshire/Germany
Arnold/Warwickshire        Schneider/Cologne
Martin/Gloucestershire    Ward/Warwickshire
Peel(Pall)                         Wilkinson/Yorkshire

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 03 December 07 19:16 GMT (UK) »
do you think it could mean pierce out the eyes...as they were very into poking out the eyes of the enemy back then...just a thought

I think it's a typical Elizabethan conceit (ie a play on words) - he's saying that even if he had Argos' eyes (ie 100 eyes) he could not cry enough.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline harewoodhouse

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 03 December 07 21:12 GMT (UK) »
 ;) I think Berlin Bob would be a good ringer in a pub quiz team
cooke's, harrop's, jackson's, hamer's, walkers
wragg's, brown's, pickersgill, worstencroft,cavanah's

Offline rancegal

• RootsChat Member
  • Georgiana Smith, my great-grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 07 December 07 20:46 GMT (UK) »
 According to Brewer's Phrase and Fable, Oh Fie! is an expression of reproof and dates back at least to Chaucer's time.
     I tried to think of a modern equivalent but without success. What would you say, folks?

HarewoodHouse, the phrase you were thinking of is 'au fait' which means to be 'in the know' about things
Bridge: GT Catworth, Hunts, and surrounding area
French: Blisworth,  and W. Northants

Offline harewoodhouse

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 08 December 07 02:57 GMT (UK) »
thanks rancegal  ;D which is why I would be lousy in a pub quiz
cooke's, harrop's, jackson's, hamer's, walkers
wragg's, brown's, pickersgill, worstencroft,cavanah's