Author Topic: Phinn family - Rothes/Knockando  (Read 25633 times)

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
Phinn family - Rothes/Knockando
« on: Sunday 25 November 07 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for anyone who might be descended from the Phinn family who lived in Rothes from about 1850, prior to which they had moved around Speyside; Birnie, Aberlour, Mortlach and Kirkmichael. Up until around 1825 they seem to have been settled in Knockando, but before 1800 they were in Inveravon.
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Phinn family - Rothes/Knockando
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 19:47 BST (UK) »
I noticed you posted this ages ago; but, in case you are still interested, I have some information on a Janet Phinn of Knockando who is probably related to your Phinns as Knockando is tiny.  According to the Kirk Session records, Janet Phinn and Charles Grant were censured for antenuptial fornication in 1816.  They married on 5th. April, 1816 when Charles was just 18 and lived at the Waulkmill in Knockando which Charles took over from his father.  By 1823 he was the sole tenant so his father had either died or moved away.  Janet was up before the Kirk Sessions again in 1839 for "being with child by George Donald of Cardnach". Charles died 4 years later at the age of 55.  She lived on at the Waulkmill.  Information on the Mill and tenants can be found on the Knockando Woolmill Trust website.

Jenny

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks, yes she was a sister to Charles Phinn who also worked at the woolen mill. I didn't know about the second child you have named, so that's interesting.
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 April 11 13:52 BST (UK) »
I have

Agnes Phinn, daughter of Charles Phinn and Jean Todd, born 22 May 1817 in Birnie, married John Cruickshank in StAndrews-Lhanbryd on 2 August 1846 and died in Urquhart 1903. They had no family.

Charles Fin/Phinn/Phyn and Jean/Jane Todd also had

James, baptised 24 October 1802, Boharm
John, baptised 22 April 1804, Boharm
Elizabeth, baptised 23 December 1806, Boharm

In 1841 Charles (79) and Jane (67) were at Darkland, Lhanbryde with Alexander (40), John (35), Agnes (20), Margaret (7) and James (6), plus two servants and Anne Mitchell, 78. Charles, Alexander, John and Anne Mitchell were not born in Moray, the rest were.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 April 11 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

I've seen the Phinn's at Birnie and Darkland before and the shared Christian name of Charles might be more than coincidental. That said, if there is a link it must be some way further back. The Phinn's I have were at Drummin in Inveravon in the mid 18th Century.
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 April 11 18:44 BST (UK) »
Possible, especially given that Charles wasn't born in Moray. Aged 79 in 1841, he would have been born 1761/2. I wondered if he could be the one baptised in Boharm on 2 November 1761, son of Alexander Phin and Jean Young. Part of Boharm is in Banffshire, so this would make sense.

I note with interest that in 1841 a Charles Phin, aged 15, is in the household of Janet Young, 65, and her family Margaret, 45, grocer; James, 35, schoolmaster and John, 35.

In 1851 Janet Young is listed as 79, born Cromdale, and Margaret (57) and James (50), parochial schoolmaster, were born in Dallas. John Young (48), flesher, is in School House, Dallas with nephew Charles Phinn, 25.

In 1861, James, 60, is schoolmaster, and in the household are his brother John (58) flesher and tenant of land; sister Margaret (67), grocer; nephew Charles Phinn (34), born Knockando; visitor Ann Phinn, widow, 63, born Dallas and George Gammie, visitor, aged 5, born Mortlach. I just happen to know (because this George Gammie married a distant cousin of mine) that George Gammie's mother was one Margaret Phin.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 April 11 19:18 BST (UK) »
One further Phinn for you.  In 1806, the Knockando Kirk Session have a John Phinn recorded as having been the Kirk Treasurer since 1800.  Janet's father possibly?

Jenny

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 April 11 20:33 BST (UK) »
Correct, parents of Janet and Charles Phinn were John Phinn (Wool Miller) and Anne Riddels(s).
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 April 11 09:49 BST (UK) »
I was interested in John Phinn's profession as wool miller.  There were 4 carding mills and one woolmill ( Waulkmill ) in Knockando parish all associated with the wool industry.  My ancestor, William Grant (master dyer), was the brother of Charles Grant who married Janet Phinn.  His father, also William and also a dyer, was the tenant of the woolmill and surrounding 26 acres so I assume your ancestor had one of the carding mills.  The floods of 1829 washed away the carding mill and miller's house at the mouth of the Knockando Burn just downstream from the Waulkmill.  If this was your ancestor's mill it could account for the relocation from Knockando and peripatetic nature of the next 20 years.  Do you know of any sources of local history for the 18th and early 19thC in the area apart from the Kirk Session records, Bishops "The Lands and People of Moray" and the Statistical Accounts for Scotland of 1791?

Jenny