Author Topic: Ozard (Ozzard) Humby  (Read 2837 times)

Offline newscot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ozard (Ozzard) Humby
« on: Sunday 25 November 07 14:58 GMT (UK) »
My GGGrandfather was James OZARD HUMBY b. 1842 in Portsmouth, Uk.

The family possibly originated at Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight (or possibly Lymington, Dorset) and moved to Portsmouth late 1700s.

Anyway, successive generations of the family have had sons called James (and some called Joseph ) with the middle name Ozard (or Ozzard). It still seems to be happening in this generation, and an internet search found a Joseph Ozard Humby living in the States, so it is spreading!!!

Can any one tell me where the Ozard came from? We have assumed that it is the maiden name of a wife somewhere down the line, but haven't found any marriages between a Humby and an Ozard yet. A funeral director named Ozard did bury some Humbys in Portsmouth back in the early 1800s but thats the only link we can find.

It'd be great if this mystery was solved.

Thanks

Newscot

Offline phaelon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Ozard (Ozzard) Humby
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 April 19 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Cousin,
I also have a GGgrandfather named James Ozzard Humby (1842-1915) married to Mary Ann Timpson in Portsmouth, England. I've just started compiling a family tree and was hoping you could help fill in some branches.
BTW, I found an Ada French who emigrated to Canada in 1913...

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ozard (Ozzard) Humby
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 April 19 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat newscot  has not been active on the site since 2014 ..If their e-mail details are still the same they will receive an notification you have posted and hopefully reply

Rosie  :)