Author Topic: Australian Electoral Rolls on Ancestry  (Read 10594 times)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: Australian Electoral Rolls on Ancestry
« Reply #81 on: Friday 28 December 07 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Have just seen this thread - this situation is appalling...

I had a brief free trial of ancestry.com.au before Christmas and could access both UK and Australian records freely.   You were in with a chance of winning two free tickets to the film "Elizabeth: the Golden Age" if you took this free trial.  After I cancelled, they emailed me to say I was one of the winners and to please give them my snail mail address so they could send the tickets.  I did this, but no tickets have arrived.  The cynic in me says that because I cancelled, they are not sending them, in contravention of their publicity!

I foresaw this sort of situation developing when Ancestry was bought by that private equity company.  Customer service will go down and costs will go up.  Findmypast is looking good!

Trish, do let us know if you finally get any joy out of Ancestry!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Friday 28 December 07 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi MarieC

My latest reply is that I can cancel the UK sub & if I join in Oz I should get what I want. I have asked how much of a refund I will get, before I do this. It will be a reasonable solution, if the Oz subscription gives me Oz and UK data, except for the fact that our $ is worth more than when I paid - so my refund may be a little light in Australian Dollars.

I agree it probably relates to the new ownership

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Friday 28 December 07 12:45 GMT (UK) »
my subs are due for renewal on the 31st. i have cancelled today and will have a look at the oz site  and see what they are offering

perth
davey hodgson holliday nelson oxberry ruddock sidebottom
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Friday 28 December 07 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Seems they should have a sub aimed at Aussie members.
Fortunately managed to get a good look at the Oz records while they were free, for my smallish Oz branch

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Saturday 29 December 07 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Seems they should have a sub aimed at Aussie members.
Fortunately managed to get a good look at the Oz records while they were free, for my smallish Oz branch

Bob

I think that is why they have suggested I join the .oz group Bob - apparently it has Australian and UK

Trish

Offline mariac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Saturday 29 December 07 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
   I have the Aussie sub and can get all the UK records + all the Aussie ones.
   It is still called the UK Heritage package on the aussie site and is $150/yr.
I joined about 6months ago and so far have no complaints.

Rootschatters have been saved from my endless requests for look-ups for which I was most grateful. Sometimes though I cant find the answers and always turn to RC. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Regards
Mariac

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Saturday 29 December 07 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes indeed, my brief trial of ancestry.com.au did let me access both Australian and UK records!

It's still pretty disgusting what they have done to Trish and others.  It would have been much more customer friendly to let the subs run their course and advise subscribers of the changes if they resubscribed - perhaps suggest they subscribed to the Aussie one.

Just a thought.  Wonder if people in the UK who want to research Aussie relatives will be able to join ancestry.com.au??  ??? ???

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Saturday 29 December 07 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes indeed, my brief trial of ancestry.com.au did let me access both Australian and UK records!

It's still pretty disgusting what they have done to Trish and others.  It would have been much more customer friendly to let the subs run their course and advise subscribers of the changes if they resubscribed - perhaps suggest they subscribed to the Aussie one.

Just a thought.  Wonder if people in the UK who want to research Aussie relatives will be able to join ancestry.com.au??  ??? ???

MarieC

UK folk can no doubt join thru Oz and may not get charged GST - When I joined through UK I didn't have to pay VAT - which turned out to be not a saving - as I can't access the data I want!!

Trish