Author Topic: Link: Angmering Parish Registers 1562-1687 free download Edward W.D. Penfold  (Read 3895 times)

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
A transcript by the Sussex Record Society of the first book of the Angmering parish registers is available for free download from the Internet Archive site.

http://www.archive.org/details/firstbookofparis00angmuoft

Various formats are on offer - I downloaded the PDF version at 59 MB.  Note that the TXT version seems to have been roundly corrupted by OCR software.

The work was edited by Edward W.D. Penfold and issued to the society's members in 1913.  It covers the years 1562-1687 and notes where entries diverge from the Bishop's Transcripts.  Also, the BTs are used to supply missing entries.

I found that, since they seem to have ignored the first book, this volume usefully complements the Angmering PR transcripts published by the Parish Register Transcription Society.  (But I note that there is a small amount of overlap in the burials, and in that small overlap exists considerable divergence.)

Hope some of you find this useful.

Stovepipe
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Angmering PR 1562-1687 free download
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 December 07 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Stovepipe

Very useful indeed.

The same site also has transcipts for Ardingly and Bolney (just did a search on Sussex parish) and I hope they add more as time progresses.

Glen