Author Topic: West Yorkshire Regiment  (Read 7186 times)

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: West Yorkshire Regiment
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 November 07 18:59 GMT (UK) »
I know he was invalided out of the Army, but not the cause; nor do I know any details of his service (though I've heard some stories - but not sure how reliable these are!).

Hind,
Can I ask what stories about his service? Any dates, places etc?
Sounds like we're looking for someone with the SWB (once we establish the likely MIC)
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline hind

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 November 07 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for your help. The fox badge on the site Neil quoted seems an exact match to the one in the photo I put up. I obtained the medal card - it is definitely the right man, since I recognise the address. It is the third format as described in the guidance notes on the National Archive site, i.e for recipients of the Silver War Badge only. I am attaching a copy.
I gather 'KR 392' means discharged on medical grounds - can you give any further interpretation of the rest of it?

One family legend was that he was gassed in France - this now seems unlikely.
Another is that he was based at the Curragh in Ireland at one point, and I see that one of the E.R. Yeomanry units did indeed go there in May 1918.

Fascinating - I'm learning quite a lot! Look forward to any comments.

PS: Just picked up your latest post Neil - hope the above helps.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 November 07 19:27 GMT (UK) »
XVI= 16 "No longer fit for war service"  So he joined up in Sept 1915.Discharged Sept 1918 1st reserve Regiment of  lancers.

He was discharged with SWB-The Rolls at NA Kew would show enlistment date,discharge,reason and any overseas service(if any) No medals awarded for service in Ireland !

cc/554 is the SWB roll entry number.

Its possible his pension records exist ill have a look and see if they are there.

* just looked on ancestry unfortunately no pension records online :(

SWB was sent to wrong address then resent to his new new one.
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline hind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 November 07 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks mmm45; could you tell me please what are 'the Rolls' and how do I access them?
It also occurs to me that this period in Ireland must have been fairly eventful - maybe there's a story in that?
I also note that the 2/1st (not sure what that means - I have limited knowledge of military structures) E.R.Yeomanry were converted to a cyclist unit in July 1916. What on earth did they do? Tanks as a progression from cavalry I can understand, but bicycles???

Offline neil1821

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 November 07 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Under Cause of Discharge - Para 392 (XVI) KR, AO 29/19, S

Para 392 (XVI) KR Ady has explained.
S gives the reason - sickness.

The SWB rolls look like this example (one of my ancestors):
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline tollowie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 December 07 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello there

I have a photo of my grandfather John William Dillon he is wearing the same uniform C1915.  He was born 1886 in Hull too!!  I have been advised that the uniform is that of the East Riding Yeomanry (Lancers) and that the badge is "a Fox in Full Cry".  I also have a photo of, what I think, is his, maybe platoon?  Like you I am not familiar with Military jargon.  I am also trying to find out more info on his military life, but can't find anything.  I think his records were among those destroyed in 1940.
Dillon, McKernan, Newell, Smallman, Knight, Kemp, Whitehead, McNaughten, Fitzgerald

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 December 07 14:58 GMT (UK) »
hi tollowie

welcome to rootschat

did john dillon have children
alfred , bernard , and jack

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 December 07 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tollowie
could you post the other photo please? He may not have gone overseas with the Yeomanry thats why theres no Medal Card for him but there are a couple more JW Dillon cards to Yorkshire Regiments so one may be his  Or he never went overseas at all...Ireland at the time was home service so he could have been involved there??
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline tollowie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 December 07 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello ev

Yes, John William had 4 children - my father Roderick, Patrick, Gariboldi (Gary) and Alfred (Alf). I know about them. I know JW  served overseas during WW1 (France maybe).  It's my great grandfather I would like more info about.  But thought if I could find military info about John William, there might be more info about his father Rudolph/Robert Dillon. I really want to know how and when and where he died.  Love that puppy.  I have a king charles cavalier.
Dillon, McKernan, Newell, Smallman, Knight, Kemp, Whitehead, McNaughten, Fitzgerald