Author Topic: Gypsy Sites  (Read 15559 times)

Offline wizz123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Gypsy Sites
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 01 December 07 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info Catone,lv followed what information you left,and found them on the 1901 census,but not the 1891 or 1881.
    So,that as left me wondering,which way to turn next :-X.Or was it a case,of the being true travellers,were they were not ever asked to do a census in 1881 or 1891.?

Regards   Wizz 
Archer(Lincolnshire)Foat(Lincolnshire,Kent),Thatcher(Manchester),Smith(Nottinghamshire).

Offline wizz123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 December 07 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Ahhhhh,why am l so addicted to this family tree thing.l seem to get a lead,then!!!.Frustrating or what.
      Why did she have the surname Smith,?

Regards  Wizz

Archer(Lincolnshire)Foat(Lincolnshire,Kent),Thatcher(Manchester),Smith(Nottinghamshire).

Offline mich b

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 11 January 08 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wizz,

Not that its of much help to you, but SMITH is a common Gypsy/Traveller surname.

I know of quite a few English Gypsy families named SMITH in Newark on the Tolney Lane Traveller site and there are some well established Gypsy families in Leicestershire named SMITH.

A lot of Gypsy family history is passed via word of mouth as many Travellers couldn't read or write. Even now Gypsies and Travellers are the most educationally disadvantaged group in the UK today. However, they are fantastic story tellers and some Gypsies will come into schools and other establishments to tell amazing tales of Travelling life, which helps breaks down prejudice and barriers.

Kind regards,

Michelle  ;D
BINI:Lucca,Italy/Sheffield/Shireoaks/Nott'm
JOHNSON:Whetstone,Leics
PINDER:Sheffield
KENNY:IRL,Dublin,ENG,Lancs,S.KENNY m BINI 
BINGHAM:Sheffield/Shireoaks
WATSON:Foxton,Leics
WORMLEIGHTON:Enderby,Leics
MARSH:Sheffield
KEMBLE:Godalming/Leicester
GLEDHILL:Bolton,Lancs/Worsop,Notts
PEBERDY:Saddington/Foxton/Gumley, Leics
HORTON:Saddington/Foxton,Leics
DANN:Foxton/Cosby/Leics
HARRITY:Sheffield
COLDERLEY:Bolton,Lancs
JONES:ChurchGresley/Smisby,Derby's/Worksop,Notts
JEACOCK: LEI/Blaby

Offline Burto

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Loving the new flag!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 13 January 08 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Michelle, I know this is slightly off topic (sorry) but are there any records available for these Gypsies in Leicestershire?
I have an elusive Ann Swift who appears and disappears whose "illegitimate" son was a violin player and performer, who I did wonder might be Gypsy....not sure if Swift would be mistaken for Smith though but you never know!
Swift , Matthews, Price , Clarke , Rockley, Dewey, Turton, Wild, Nottingham
Aldread, Brentnall, Cowlishaw Derbyshire
Elliot, The Borders/Nottingham FWK industry
Hartopp, NW Leicester (Barkby and surrounds).
Smith Bilston Staffordshire
Bennett, Calary? Ireland
Johnson, USA
75% British 25% American (Colonial, Hungarian, Eastern European, German, Scandinavian).

Offline mich b

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 13 January 08 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Burto,

I can give you a few helpful websites, which may or may not have information about Gypsies and Travellers. If nothing else they may help to dispel a few myths like: not all Hawkers, Basket Makers, Horse Dealers, Knife Grinders etc were gypsies, but many were.

I personally don't know of SWIFT as a common Gypsy name, but that's not to say it isn't. Gypsy forenames were (and still are) often unusual, often names from the Old Testament too. Forenames on both the male and female lines are still handed down.

Try these sites:

http://website.lineone.net/~rtfhs/gypsy.html

http://journeyfolki.org.uk/HistoryCulture/GypsyExpressions/tabid/858/ctl/Terms/Default.aspx

http://www.leics.gov.uk/pressrelease.htm?id=100310

This is a genealogy site about Gypsy ancestors, some in Leicestershire and some with the surname SMITH.

http://www.sarah-henson.co.uk/names/loveridge.htm

Newark's Millgate Museum did have an exhibition about Gypsies and Travellers, but I'm not sure whether it was permanent.  The staff there maybe able to offer some help: Tel: (01636) 655730

There is a Leicester Gypsy Group, but to my knowledge they're mostly involved in fighting for Travellers rights and liaising with Leicester Council.

I hope this helps you in some way.

Good Luck,

Michelle ;D
BINI:Lucca,Italy/Sheffield/Shireoaks/Nott'm
JOHNSON:Whetstone,Leics
PINDER:Sheffield
KENNY:IRL,Dublin,ENG,Lancs,S.KENNY m BINI 
BINGHAM:Sheffield/Shireoaks
WATSON:Foxton,Leics
WORMLEIGHTON:Enderby,Leics
MARSH:Sheffield
KEMBLE:Godalming/Leicester