Author Topic: Shackamaxon  (Read 4247 times)

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
Re: Shackamaxon
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 December 07 06:34 GMT (UK) »
births in South Australia

JESSE HEWETT RUMP 17/11/1855 AT FINDON ADELAIDE 5/251

EMMY ELEANOR RUMP 4/8/1867 at Beverly Adelaide 56/312

JOHN RUMP 22/10/1873 at Beverly Hindmarsh 128/323

parents JAMES RUMP  MARY ANN  BENTHAM

regards Jenn

When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 December 07 06:57 GMT (UK) »
This is totally irrelevant but ...

I have a dear friend from another Australian state who is researching the Shackamaxon because my friend's ancestor was the much maligned (unfairly maligned?!) Assistant Surgeon on that ship (where there were so many deaths)!  So I've read some of the documentation out at the SA Archives ...

A small world, eh!

JAP

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 December 07 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello  there  found  some  births  in Victoria

for  James Rump and Mary Ann Bentham (misspelt though)

ELIZA RUMP BORN 1858 AT MBORO

JAMES RUMP BORN 1861 AT MARY

MARY ANN RUMP BORN 1864 AT MARY

now some marriages in  South Australia

JESSE HEWITT RUMP AGED 24 S father James Rump married
MARY BROOKS 23 S father JAMES BROOKS at  the residence of james rump 8/4/1880 Beverly hindmarsh 123/67

MRY HEWITT RUMP AGED 17 S FATHER JAMES RUMP MARRIED  JOSEPH BROOKS S AGED 20 FATHER JAMES BROOKS  AT THE RES OF REV H MORGAN TORRENS ROAD HINDMARSH ADELAIDE 122/234
HAIR, Durham,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
VAN REYK Sri Lanka

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 December 07 07:12 GMT (UK) »
DEATHS
JAMES RUMP AGED 68 died 2/8/1896 at Beverly 228/276
MARY ANN RUMP AGED 74 died 15/10/1904 at Beverly 305/270

Teddy did  the Rump's arrive  with  children ?

there is these   marriages   that could be  one of  yours

AMELIA RUMP       AGED 21 S FATHER JAMES RUMP married
WILLIAM HEWITT AGED 31 W FATHER JAMES HEWITT 14/7/1870 (making her birth roughly  1849)
at the residence of Rev R S Casely Kent Town Adelaide 84/94

HARRIET RUMP            AGED 21 S father James Rump married 17/4/1873
JAMES HENRY BROOKS aged 21 S  father James Brooks at the Registery office Hindmarsh 95/192

and  these two
Alice Lily Hewitt RUMP aged 21 S father James Rump married 27/2/1888
ALBERT BOWLES FRICKER aged 22 S father ALbert Fricker at the grooms moths at Inkerman 157/1134

Ellen Hewitt Rump aged 24 S father James Rump married 4/5/1892
aLEXANDER MICHIE aged 24 W father Henry Michie Christian Chape North Adelaide ade 171/541
regards JEnn

regards Jenn
HAIR, Durham,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
VAN REYK Sri Lanka

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 December 07 12:10 GMT (UK) »
WOW!

Thanks soooooooooooooooooo much for that.

I am hoping to find people interested in these families too, as I know where they originated from in Norfolk UK and I can help them.

It is a real shame that Maria Chapman, Rix, Burgess, Blight didn't have any family.........she came from my village and is related to me albeit distantly!

Thanks again.
 :) :) :)
Teddy
 ;)
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline Njwood

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 September 20 03:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Teddy

I'm direct descendent of Isaac Havers and Margaret  Havers and their son Adam Havers. Some of this may have already been mentioned so forgive me if I'm rehashing.

Adam married Anna Clare B.1836 and had eleven sons and daughters that I know of that lived into adulthood

Mathew Havers 1856-1918
William Havers 1869 - 1935
Margaret Havers 1858-1910
Louisa E. Havers 1860-1865
Adam Havers Jnr 1861-1874
Anna Harriet Havers 1862-1863 (alternate is D.1958 although I did find a record for someone by the same name birth place and parents being born in the 1863-1864 period)
Elizabeth Ann Havers 1864-1958
Marion Jane Havers 1866-1946
Isaac Joh Haver 1872- 1936
Bridget Haver 1874-1956
Adam Havers Jnr 1876-1942

All were born and raised around Clare in South Australia.

Mathew and William where both teamsters and drivers (bullocks) early on as I've found records of them around matters that involved payments and that kind of thing the route they worked was the cattle route from Clare to two fold bay through the Eden-Monaro region of New South Wales. Mathew appears in the Court notices in Monaro for a matter involving using the team he was driving to transport goods without the owners knowledge, I believe he was fined 12 shilling and made to pay costs.

William (my great great grandfather) continued to drive cattle until Feb 1900 where he registered at Lismore for the New South Wales Imperial Bushmens Contingent . He was in training around Lismore and Sydney until June when the bushmen were embarked on the SS. Armenian at Wolloomalloo Sydney- with all the ensueing padgeantry. He served in plenty of battles while in South Africa but I think the three that where the most important was the capture of De La Rey's column and guns at wonderfontein, the battle of Elands River and the movements around Ottoshoop. He returned to Sydney around June 1901- plenty of pageantry again as well being mentioned in lists, for his service he was awarded Queen Victoria's South African Medal with clasps for Transvaal, Orange Free State, Cape Colony and Elands River.

I have him recorded as living in Sydney in 1904 on electoral roles where he also married his first wife Ada M. Callahan, they had a daughter by the name of Leucretha selvica Havers (otherwise spelt Lucretia in Newspaper reports as well as lucrece) Ada died in 1912 at their house in Trafalgar Sydney. He remarried fairly quickly to my great great  grandmother Mary Ann, they continued to live in Sydney moving to paddington sometime between 1912-1915. He joined the AIF- B Squadron 12th Australian light horse regiment 28th Jan 1915 his regiment was sent to Egypt and encamped in the area of Mezze near the pyramids awaiting deployment to Gallipoli, however it was decided they would temporarily dissolved and incorporated into the light horse regiments already in Gallipoli as reinforcements. His company was assigned to the 7th light horse operating around the areas of chathams post, lone pine and Poppy Valley. the regimental war diary for the 7th LH shows that on the 29th of August 1915 B Company arrived at Gallipoli for deployment and was stationed in poppy valley, the companies first front line position was as part of a detachment to Lone Pine on the 30th of that month. He received a compound injury on the 28th or 29th of November to his leg (specifically his metatarsal) and was shipped back to the 1st Australian Field Hospital at Heliopolis in Cairo were his injury or infection necessitated the amputation of his leg to the knee. He spent time convalescing in helouan Cairo until his return to Australia and discharge on 10th Feb 1916.

He spent some time in limbo from 1916 until the RSL managed to help him gain employment in the NSW railways as an office clerk which he did until his retirement. In his Personell records held by the NAA there's some issues around his casualty status because the 7th LH didn't record him as being injured in the line of duty, and neither did the 12th LH but that seems to have been ironed out by his commanding officer.

He had one daughter by the Name of Dorothy Havers who married into the Law family of Two Fold Bay Eden, Alexander Law who's grandfather and father it was that built the cattle runs where William would drive the livestock to in his youth.

He died in 1935 on his front steps at 66 queen street  woolhara Sydney.

I hope this information is of use to you, Dorothy Havers and Alexander Law are my great grandparents. 

As for the other children of Adam Havers and Anna Clare and Isaac and Margaret, I haven't looked into them yet but the Trove newspaper archive has been an amazing help as well as the National Archives of Australia, the New South Wales State Library research service and the NSW Records website.

Nick