Author Topic: Inverary & the Dukes of Argyll  (Read 14565 times)

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Inverary & the Dukes of Argyll
« on: Friday 30 November 07 02:19 GMT (UK) »

Hello Argyll Researchers,
                                       My family connection - Purdie , Greig , Morrison , Walls , Fogo , Buntain , Thom -  from around Inverary  lead me to purchase a book called " Inverary and the Dukes of Argyll" by Ian G Lindsay and Mary Cosh. A family story existed that one of our ancestors worked for the Duke of Argyll.
                                       My research suggested that this was most likely to be David Greig who married Elizabeth Walls at Glen Shira in 1784. ( a previous post about GGG Grandparents` Marriage Venue covered that ) David Greig was listed as an Overseer as was his son William , born 1785. The " Who Owns Scotland " site tells me that Glen Shira is part of the Estate of The Dukes of Argyll. It seemed likely that David Greig probably worked on the Estate - but Genealogy without documentation is just mythology , somebody said.
                                         The book Inverary & the D----- --  has a list of Architects and Craftsmen in it and I found my David Greig listed there. Among other things about him , it tells me that a " new  thatched house was provided for him in Glen Shira farm court " in 1786. So , apart from William 1785 , all of his family who were listed as being born in Glen Shira were likely born in that house and lived on the estate.
                                        I would be happy to check for other names if anyone thinks their family may be mentioned among the architects and craftsmen and access to the book is not available to you.
                                          Thommoje
Hardie ,Hislop ,Beattie , Glass , Heslehurst
Sutherland, Riddell,Bowie, Blair , Reid, McIntosh

Purdie , Brooks, Polson, Morrison, Simpson
Murcher ,McAuslan ,Ferrier, Greig

Offline Grey Seagull

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Inverary & the Dukes of Argyll
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 April 08 20:37 BST (UK) »
Brilliant!

We have a similar story in our family, but none of us young things really believed it.

I was lucky that when my gggmother died in Glasgow in 1861, the registrar wrote that she was buried in Kilmailu Cem., Invarary and that the funeral was undertaken by Wylie Lochhead.

Her father, John Anderson was a Maltman.  On a recent fruitless trip to find the grave and headstone, I was standing outside a whisky shop when I realised that a maltman worked for the whisky industry.  The helpful lady in the shop confirmed that there was a whisky blended for the Castle, but didn't think the whisky was made in Invarary.  Then she remembered that there is a row of houses called Maltings (think that's right) and they are on the estate.

So, is there any information about maltmen or whisky in your book?

Once we found out that John's wife was a Campbell, we thought the connection might be a bit more regal!!!!

Win
Fleming: Campsie, Glasgow, E Kilbride, Cumbria, Canada/USA, Oz (NSW)
Cant: Kilmichael, Inverness, Resoles, Moray
Stewart: Dingwall, Strathpeffer
Rankin(e): Argyll, Glasgow
Ferrier: Kinnell, Red Castle, Inverkeillor, Glasgow, Greenock
Morrell: Dundee, Oban, Perth, Rothesay
Harris: Glasgow, Dunoon
Hart: Govan
McDonell/McDonald: Knoydart, Kilmonivaig, Inverness, Paisley
(Mc)Niven: Islay, Glasgow
MacDonald: N Uist, Glasgow
MacCorquodale: N Uist
Dear: St Cyrus
Gibb: St Vigeans
Bell: Forfarshire

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 03:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Win ,
           In the section  " Index of Architects and Craftsmen " mention is made of Anderson , James , mason in Inverary - ? eldest son of William Anderson , maltman, and as such admitted burgess and guild brotherof Glasgow , 7 August 1755: GB James Anderson , journeyman mason , Tron Kirk p ., Edinburgh. m. Jean, dau to dec. John Guild, quarrier in Blackford, 27 March 1768 : EM
 c1747 f , working at Inverary; loses possessions in" guildhall" fire of March 1752

There is quite a bit more about this James Anderson and the building works that he did. Guess you need to decide if these folk are yours. I will look for more for you and will report back to you.
              Regards , Jean

Offline Grey Seagull

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Inverary & the Dukes of Argyll
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 May 08 23:17 BST (UK) »
I see you have Ferrier on your list of names.  Me too!

My direct branch travelled in time and space from Muirside of Kinnell to Greenock via St Andrews, Kilconquhar, Glasgow and several locations in Angus including Red Castle.

The family occupation through the Williams and Alexanders was dyker/stone mason/builder.

Any possible link?
Fleming: Campsie, Glasgow, E Kilbride, Cumbria, Canada/USA, Oz (NSW)
Cant: Kilmichael, Inverness, Resoles, Moray
Stewart: Dingwall, Strathpeffer
Rankin(e): Argyll, Glasgow
Ferrier: Kinnell, Red Castle, Inverkeillor, Glasgow, Greenock
Morrell: Dundee, Oban, Perth, Rothesay
Harris: Glasgow, Dunoon
Hart: Govan
McDonell/McDonald: Knoydart, Kilmonivaig, Inverness, Paisley
(Mc)Niven: Islay, Glasgow
MacDonald: N Uist, Glasgow
MacCorquodale: N Uist
Dear: St Cyrus
Gibb: St Vigeans
Bell: Forfarshire

Offline HughMac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 October 09 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi there -

I live in Australia but am researching my Mcintyre ancestry and have a great-grandfather by the name of John Mcintyre who was a gamekeeper - possibly at Inverary Castle around 1880 - 1900 or so - and I would appreciate your checking the book for his name - my cousin in Melbourne was looking for thsi book and was told it was out of print.

Thankyou in advance

HughMac

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 October 09 21:52 BST (UK) »

Hello Hugh Mac,
 I am also researching from Oz so we need all the help we can get.
      No mention of a John Mc Intyre on the list of craftsmen etc but there are some McIntyre s:-
      Alexander McIntyre - wright in Inverary - born before 1725 - many references

Colin McIntyre - wright  - 1788 - 1828

Donald McIntyre - Quarrier - 1776 mentioned - house demolished

Duncan McIntyre - wright . 5June 1793  married Grizel Sinclair
                                                5 December 1800 married Janet Fairgrieve

Malcolm McIntyre - mason - mentioned living in Laigh House in 1816 - widow still living there in 1848
      These folk could be of interest to you. There is more detail if you need it , though perhaps not of genealogical use . Just ask if you need it.
      Looking on your behalf , I stumbled on more about my Purdie family.
      I purchased my copy of the book online from Abe books and I see there is one ( among several ) available for about $25 + postage. You could try Amazon or several other used book sites.
                                                                   Regards, Thommoje

Offline thommoje

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 October 09 22:05 BST (UK) »

Hi Again,
               Have you looked on the Free Cen site. It covers the population of Inverary & Glenary for 1841 quite fully. You may find some of your folk there.
                                                                      Thommoje

Offline HughMac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 October 09 02:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks - will check the Free Cen site - although my Mcintyres seem to have been born in the Kilmartin/Kilmorich area - John (around 1860), his father Hugh ( around 1828) and his father John 9around 1796) - need to do futher research and confirm.

regards

Hughmac

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 October 09 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Hugh

You don't mention John's mother's name. Was it Catherine Luke? There is this birth entry showing on IGI:

JOHN MCINTYRE Birth: 07 AUG 1860 Lochgoilhead And Kilmorich
Parents: HUGH MCINTYRE and CATHERINE LUKE    

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk