Author Topic: Colville Armstrong Midlothian 1823  (Read 7783 times)

Offline juliebenny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Colville Armstrong Midlothian 1823
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 08 July 17 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Army
back on the Colville trail.  It would be interesting to know the details your sisters found in Scotland re: shipping for Colville snr and if your uncle was able to shine any light on the subject.
Cheers
Julie

Offline Army

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 10 July 17 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie

My sister believes that Colville with some of his siblings arrived on the same ship as George and Walter under the name of McKinnon. The link below is to a Glen Huntly blog. My sister Maree has been doing a lot of work on the Colville trail but it was a long time ago. http://www.katebirrell.com/blog/2014/3/6/cctyc08qt88rqb8ul7q24fwg852kqe

Cheers

Graham

Offline juliebenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 14 July 17 23:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Graham
what lead her to believe they came over under the name McKinnon, I am at a loss as to understand the link.
Cheers
Julie

Offline Army

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 15 July 17 06:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie

Don't know how she came up with a link other than she has found something somewhere that I'm not privy to. I just find the whole history thing interesting and just love the language used by our forebears and don't get too fazed about not finding the answers.

Cheers

Graham

Offline pugugly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 29 July 17 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi, all.  Also looking at Colville Armstrong.  His daughter Charlotte married into the Campbell family (my brother in law's).  I took note of an article in the Port Phillip Gazette from 1844, a Petty Sessions Court appearance where Colville, an apprentice tinsmith, had been struck by his Master, Andrew Paton.
Went to the PROV and had a look at a Police Deposition Book 1844-45 and found the entry.  It doesn't say a lot but they found Paton guilty and fined him for "Breach of Articles of Indenture" & "Assault".  Fined 10 shillings plus 3/6 for court costs.  So the next question is; Is there a register or archive of Apprenticeship Indentures from that far back?
Aaron

Offline pugugly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 29 July 17 11:40 BST (UK) »
Should add that the above mentioned newspaper article from 1844 also states that he is an orphan.

Offline Army

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 31 July 17 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Aaron

Yes he was an orphan in 1844. He gets a couple of other mentions in Trove after this. I have found Andrew Paton in the Edinburgh Guild records in the 1830's and have wondered if Colville came here already indentured. There is also a Armstrong link via Canada but it has been a long time.

Cheers

Graham

Offline pugugly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 31 July 17 16:54 BST (UK) »
Graham;
Well, then we need to know when Andrew Paton came out to Australia and if the passenger list shows he had an apprentice already.  I have found him in some early Melbourne Voter rolls and addresses - one in Collins St and later Elizabeth street but these are post 1844.
Your family story still fits the evidence however.  If Colville was orphaned because his dad died on arrival he was probably looked after by a church (presbyterian I'm assuming) that then may have organised an apprenticeship for him.  Even the earliest orphanages that were set up in Melbourne to deal with such problems didn't start 'till late 1840's and onwards.  There don't appear to be any surviving indentures from that early period but they may be hidden in Port Phillip Gov. Papers.  This is a very early time period and difficult to find things.

Offline pugugly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 31 July 17 17:09 BST (UK) »
Another question;  I don't have Colville's marriage cert. or any of the other Armstrong boys.  Did any of them appear as witnesses to each other's marriage?  This would at least confirm that there was more than just Walter Armstrong arriving.