Author Topic: Rhodesian Relatives  (Read 33682 times)

Offline AngeHarper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rhodesian Relatives
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hello all, new to this forum and here is to hoping that someone can help :)

I'm also tracking down my grand parents birth and marriage certs. Both were registered in Southern Rhodesia. I do have photocopys of everything, which hopefully will help. I've tried contacting the Zim Embassy both here and in Zim and so far .. nothing. So any further advice on perhaps contact someone in Harare that might be able to go in person?
Any advice would be most appreciated.
thanks
Ange

Offline AngeHarper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Ken,

Yes, my researcher is getting every document he can, including wills, estates, birth, death, and marriage certificates, government compensation, military medal rolls...etc. Pretty much, any legal document with our family's name on it, he is getting.
   If you would like information about him, please send me a private message off list. Thanks.
   Yes, it is very sad to hear how things are, especially when I tell our relatives' descendants, who were all pioneers and lived there from 1894 to 1979. Now all that is left is some really good memories (and now with our researcher, some documents to go along with that. :))

Regards,
Stephanie

HI Stephanie - not sure how to contact you direct via this forum but am looking for information regarding your researcher.

cheers
Ange

Offline NorMel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 November 10 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Not sure if this will be relevant, but my family are also from Bulawayo. Born in the 1950's - Mother: Sharon Timson, Father: Joe Mellett (his brothers John, Harold, Norman). My folks then moved to Chiredzi where I was born in 1976. We then came to SA in 1984. I'm also trying to find my family history (Mellett / Timson), and it is a nightmare, lol. I will ask my folks if they know of any Edwards family from Bulawayo.

Cheers,
Norman

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 16 January 11 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, i'm also about to start an attempt to research Southern Rhodesia ancestors.

Does anybody know any good researchers?

Thanks, -Glen-
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline Lorand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 January 11 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bindura,

Just thinking about your attempt to find details of your birth in Zim.  My brother  was born in The Lady Chancellor Maternity Home in Salisbury in 1952 and a cousin was born there in 1956.  This was the only maternity home there at that time.   So maybe you could try and contact them via the internet, if they are still there.

Best of luck
Lorand
McCall, Arnott, Ness, Galloway, Balfour, Botes

Offline keith77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

you could try looking at the we were Rhodesians website as it is a good source if your family ever served in the Rhodesian Armed forces, Rhodesia became independent in 1964? so prior to that it was a British colonie
 Regards Keith

Offline darin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 05 March 11 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorand,

I have done some research into my history and traced it back to South Africa. My researcher in South Africa has located records of my G-G-Grandfather Charles James Ferguson who left South Africa and moved to Rhodesia after his divorce from his then wife Annie Magdalena Ferguson nee Deale. What is interesting is that he was apparently living in an adulterous relationship with a woman by the name of Johanna SCHOEMAN nee BOTES - and this is a surname you have researched. Any link??? Charles was a POW in Ceylon during the Boer War from 1900-1902 and was diviorced at the end of 1902 before moving to Bulawayo where he worked as a Mason. Annie Ferguson married an Australian after the divorce and moved to Australia with her two children from Charles. If there is a link, and you are willing to share it would be great to hear from you!
Kind regards
Darin Ferguson :)

Offline SAtoUSA

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 05 March 11 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Well good news my fellow family historians  :) :)
...I received an email regarding a new website that contains former Rhodesian records that have been carefully scanned in their entirety into a database.

The records contain
Zimbabwe Death Notices, 1904-1976
Zimbabwe, Death Registers, 1890-1977
Index to Death Registers, 1892-1977

https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Zimbabwe_Civil_Registration_%28FamilySearch_Historical_Records%29

I myself am just starting to explore them, but they look good so far..

Best of luck in your own researches!

Regards
Stephanie
JOCKS (Pomerania, Germany, England, South Africa, Southern Rhodesia, Northern Rhodesia, Belgian Congo, Tanganyika); HERBERT (Suffolk County, England, South Africa and Southern Rhodesia); BOSHOFF (South Africa) RADEMEYER (South Africa, Southern Rhodesia) (and that's just hubby's ancestors!! :-)
WILSON (Yorkshire Co., England, Nebraska, Kansas USA) THOMPSON (Yorkshire County, England, Nebraska USA) MCCONAGHY (Ireland, New York, Kansas USA)

Offline Shane haskins

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 19 May 11 18:00 BST (UK) »
Am after some help. I need a copy of my birth certificate. I was born in hwange and the easiest way that the embassy says in uk is to have some request it from zim. If anyone can help by getting me some information from that side it would be much appreciated. Many thanks