Author Topic: Have I got the correct parents?  (Read 20057 times)

Offline kt4u

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Have I got the correct parents?
« on: Friday 30 November 07 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello all you clever people,
I am asking a question that may not have an answer but you never know..... I have a chap living in Norfolk (OWEN JONES)  born in Ruthin, Wales. People have kindly sent me listings from the Parish Register of Ruthin showing OWEN's parents (RICHARD AND GRACE JONES) plus OWEN's brothers and sisters.
OWEN baptised November 1805.
I have a copy of Owen's wedding transcript (1831) in Norfolk - no mention of any parents.
My question is "How do I know I have the correct parents?" Also can you tell me if there is a place named RUABON or is it an area?
I really want this to be his parents as RICHARD JONES was a Reverend and a very interesting man.
OWEN's siblings:
Elinor
Richard
John
William
Maria
Thomas
Margaret
Hannah
Richard
Robert
Grace.
Many thanks for reading this
Katy

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Have I got the correct parents?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 November 07 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Katy  :)

There is a place called Ruabon:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Ruabon/index.html

Many of my ancestors lived there!

What is the link with your Ruthin Joneses?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kt4u

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 November 07 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gadget
wow! That was a quick reply - thank you.
I found this on the IGI 
"Birth:  09 SEP 1809   Cefn Mawr, Ruabon, Denbigh, Wales
 Parents:
  Father:  Richard Jones  Family
  Mother:  Mary"     

On the 1861 census OWEN is age 54 so that would be approx 1807 for his birth. I am hoping he is not from Cefn Mawr. Is it near Ruabon?
Thank you
Katy

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 November 07 23:09 GMT (UK) »
It is very close to Ruabon,  Katy. Part of the parish in those days.

If you click on the map in the link that I gave you, you will see where Cefn Mawr is.

It's not very close to Ruthin at all, though  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 November 07 23:11 GMT (UK) »
The online IGI is not very good at all for our area. The Bishop of St Asaph would not allow the LDS to have access to the parish records although the Bishops Transcripts are available for you to search on film at the FHS centres.

Gadget  :)

Offline kt4u

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 November 07 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, Gadget.

I off to bed now and will check the links tomorrow.

Once again, many thanks
Katy

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 December 07 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Ive found Owen in 1851 aged 54 working at London City Infirmary. Wife Lydia, He is definately born Ruthin.
In 1861 he is a chemist and druggist.
Obviously a cut above the miners and Ag labs from North Wales. Nowt wrong with that, mine was a leadminer from Ruthin. ;D

In Pigots directory 1828/9 Ruthin . There is a Rev Jones, Archdeacon, Llanbedr along with  three more Revs , but they are named and none is a Richard.
Also a John Jones is a druggist at Well St. Similar occupation.

Also found there are items at Denbs records office that might shed some light.
Hopefully for you it could have info on his children.

ACHYDDIAETH JONES
Disgrifiad: Family tree and newspaper article concerning family of Revd Richard Jones, Ruthin.
Dyddiad: 1795 1943   Dates.
Rhif Cyf: DRO NTD/38  Ref No.

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 December 07 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Katy

Information about the  records that wilcoxin has mentioned can be obtained via this link:

http://www.denbighshire.gov.uk/en-gb/DNAP-6ZQKTQ

They are very helpful - either phone or by mail - and will photcopy and post out any documents that you might want to obtain.

Gadget

Offline kt4u

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 December 07 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wilcoxon
Well, many, many thanks for your very  informative reply - how can I repay you? (Do you need any copies from TNA, Kew?)
Fancy him being in London - I think I am the sort of researcher who covers all the options but I suppose I get stuck on one track of looking in Norfolk and never thought of looking elsewhere- well done you.

In 1851, not wishing to doubt you, is OWEN's age 54? As I have him in 1861 as 54.  Is there an occupation listed for him? I shall be researching the London City Infirmary now! He also called himself an apothecary - I have contacted the society of apothecaries but they have no trace of him - good try though!

Funnily enough but I don't have one ag.lab on my tree yet! LOL! (Back to 1500 on my Cox side!) As you say - nothing wrong with being a leadminer -  OWen's  gggrand-children (my mum, aunty and uncle) were taken into foster care under the auspices of the Shoreditch Poor Law Guardians - how fortunes change.
Yes, I have that info from Denbigh Record Office. The tree is of RICHARD JONES's descendants - but not all of his children are on there - least of all my OWEN. This Richard Jones (newspaper artice) a fellow of Jesus College, Oxford, was rector of Ruthin, then 1806 Rectory of LLANYCHAN - died 1811 where he is buried.
He wrote the DEONG LIAD (4 gospels in Welsh)! also:
"Religious Unity or a warning against schism" written in Welsh - whilst vicar of Ruthin.

One of Richard's sons (JOHN)was Rector of LLANYCHAN 1814, then LLANGYNHAFAL 1831-37, then LLANRHAIADR and promoted to a canon of Bangor Cathedral.

I really would like this man to be one of my ancestors!

Once again many thanks for all of this info - keep it coming! No, I didn't mean that!
best wishes
Katy