Author Topic: Have I got the correct parents?  (Read 20111 times)

Offline gilfordian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Have I got the correct parents?
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 07 January 12 22:33 GMT (UK) »
After a long gap, I'm wondering if anyone is still researching this branch of the Jones family. I've only just found it and am amazed to see so much of my own family history written for me!
The Grace that Mary mentions at the Holloway Pleating Company was my grandmother, she died in 1956. Her brother Stanley died in about 1970.
I know a few more details, maybe some myths, and have a few photo's if there is still anyone out there I would be very pleased to make contact.
Dave

Offline kt4u

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dave,
Although I have not been actively searching for some time, I am still very interested and it was with great interest that I read your message. Mary (on rootschat) has visited Ruthin and found out some interesting tidbits. It will take a bit of sorting out to see how we are connected...2nd\3rd cousins perhaps? I do have my tree in a program so can send you my info if you wish. How exciting this all is....and I look forward to hearing from you. Katy

Offline gilfordian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 13 January 12 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Katy
I've just spent the last hour typing and checking notes etc, and suddenly he whole lot disappeared.  Please let me know if you have recd anything, otherwise I'll do it all again.
Meanwhile have you seen http://www.hunstantonnewsletter.co.uk/hnl/index.php/archive-of-all-old-articles/1338-aug-08letters-to-the-editor.html
Alfred Isaac Jones was my great grandfather, and according to a note from Mary to you on 4/4/08 he was the 6th child of Owen & Lydia.
More to follow
Dave Jones

Offline gilfordian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 13 January 12 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Katy
2nd try!
I will admit to being very new to family history, I did look up the 1901 census for Hunstanton and found the family that I knew or had heard of. More on that later.
Various myths & legends that I have heard are that it was thought there were Welsh roots, but no more info than that. The existence of a Welsh bible said to have been handed down was the only thing to give that substance. (I managed to find it yesterday, sadly no names have been written in to give any clues as to past ownership). It was also said that my gg made the ornamental gates at Sandringham, but I rather doubted that.
I knew that there was a very strong Hunstanton link, and the name Sedgeford was familiar too.
On the 1901 census it lists my gg, Alfred Isaac, and his son, Stanley Walker, as blacksmiths. This was a revelation to me as I had never heard that before, maybe because I had never asked. However, it suddenly made the gates story a bit more plausible.
So, Alfred Isaac and his wife Annie (probably Walker) were my great grandparents. They had 2 children, Gracie Hannah (b1879, d10/2/56) and Stanley Walker (b c1886, d c1970).
Neither Gracie nor Stanley ever married, to the very best of my knowledge. However, Gracie had my Dad, Kenneth Hope Jones, (in Bournemouth) on 30/11/1916. He was bought up by Stanley, his uncle, only finding out who was who after the war when he had to get a birth cert for a job with the Post Office. Dad married Gladys Cuttriss on 8/2/47 and I was born on 16/6/48.
I don’t know when the move to London was made, but I guess it was anytime after they moved from Park Rd in 1913. There were several addresses, but always around the Holloway and Tufnell Park area. That said, there was mention of Dad living at Sewardstone, between Chingford and Waltham Abbey.
I would imagine that the Holloway Pleating Company would be in the 1920’s and maybe early 1930’s. That was at 491 Holloway Rd (I have a postcard of it) and I have a book with Gracies address, probably at the same time at 503 Holloway Road.

Do you have any family photo’s? I have a few but can only identify a small number of people, wonder if you can help.

Typically, we don’t think of asking the right questions until it’s too late. A family friend (Lillian Newstead) that knew Hunstanton, and then before WW2 moved to Holloway, died in about 1990. She could have told me so much.

I’ll leave you to try and make sense of that for now.

Dave

Offline kt4u

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 09 September 12 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Dave
my most sincere apologies for not replying sooner - I really am very interested in our tree and can only hope that you will forgive me -  I am just starting year two of a 3-year degree in history and switched off to everything else - again I am very sorry. I really need to read through yours and Mary's information to get myself back on track. I start back at uni in a couple of weeks so I am hoping you get this message very soon.
Have you been tracking people down - or been on any fact finding missions? 

I really do hope that you forgive -  me I am so sorry 

Here are a couple of photos of my mum - both of them she is early twenties.

Best wishes Katy

Offline kt4u

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 09 September 12 18:33 BST (UK) »
Dave

I wonder if you have contacted the Hunstanton Journal? If not perhaps I could and we could ask for a photo!

best wishes
Katy

Offline gilfordian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Katy
I thought you had given up on me! But very pleased to hear from you again. I'm afraid I've done almost nothing since we were last in contact other than email the person who lives in the Park Road house in Hunstanton. Due to pressure of other things I've not been able to follow it up, I would like to visit though.
Thanks for the various links that you sent, as above,I've not looked at them yet but I have some time tomorrow and will have a look.
I have a couple of pics that I can't find right now, but I will look them out and email them to you. One of the Jones family c1910 at Hunstanton and the other in the late 1920's probably at Holloway.
Thanks also for the pics that you attached, I'm struggling though to see a family likeness!!
I'll be back in touch in a couple of days once I have found and scanned the pics and we'll take it from there.
Regards
Dave

Offline kt4u

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Dave, as if I would give up on you! ;)
Thanks for replying - I need to look through my paper work to get my mind back onto Jones'. Have you got any family tree software? I've been using Brother's Keeper for about 20 years - free to download and use - and it is very good and easy to use.
I think one of the main Jones' traits is thick black\dark brown hair - well it was when we were younger - oh! yea and very intelligent, and modest!
bye for now
Katy