Author Topic: Genes Reunited  (Read 18763 times)

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Genes Reunited
« Reply #27 on: Monday 03 December 07 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your comment  Bob re your parent's middle names . An aspect which had never crossed my mind.

Off to my Bank site now to change their entries.

Embarrassing as I'm usually so careful regarding security!  :-X

Spring
Dorset: Ackerman,Bungey,Bunter Chant,Hyle
Islington:Bedford, Eaton,Wilkins
Beds,Fulham: Brazier
Shoreditch: Burton,Coverdale
Essex ,Clerkenwell:Craswell,Cresswell
St.Lukes Middx:Doughty, Dunkley
Andover/IOW/Fulham:Gasser
Fulham: Neal
Bucks:Putnam,Wingrove
Bullwell.Notts:Wilkinson
Clerkenwell/Islington:Wyllie
Herts/ Tottenham/Walthamstow:Young

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 03 December 07 00:39 GMT (UK) »
It surprises me that banks still use mother's maiden name, and school you attended and those kinds of information to verify people....

Mind you - one of my accounts asked for my "memorable name" the other day..... I tried all sorts and couldn't remember what it was :-[   

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 03 December 07 00:40 GMT (UK) »
I always feel that other people's family trees are interesting, useful & informative, but if I haven't checked the info for myself, I don't think I should add it to my tree.

If it's my own research, then fine.

Obviously I wouldn't add a living person, without their consent, but I am also wary of adding the deceased parents or siblings of living people too ~ unless those people are OK with it and I have checked the info myself.

Too often I see my research, or that of my relatives, being added to other relatives' trees, without them double-checking anything.

Sometimes they take it from people who haven't checked the details, themselves, and I have to point out that those names are not even part of our family.

Often they just don't realise that this can offend ~ they just get carried away with 'their research', but people get angry & upset and errors occur, which might be passed on to others.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 03 December 07 00:50 GMT (UK) »
It surprises me that banks still use mother's maiden name, and school you attended and those kinds of information to verify people....

Mind you - one of my accounts asked for my "memorable name" the other day..... I tried all sorts and couldn't remember what it was :-[   

Milly

You don't have to give them the true answer, all that matters is that the name you have given them originally for verification purposes is the same as the one that you give over the phone or online.  You could tell them you went to St Trinian's!

The nasty thing is there have been examples given where people have had some of the information and by the banks helping them with the answer because they said they had forgotten what they put down.

Martin Briscoe
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 03 December 07 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Much of my interest is information from contacts where I have in the 1700/early 1800 of family ancestors who have lived for generations in one village.
I may have, say, a marriage in one decade, between a male "John Bull" with a "Mary Doe"
To find a link on someone else's Tree between an earlier "Steven Doe" and an" Anne Bull"  .Somewhere there is most probably a relationship. If I can find that, it is much more satisfying than entering the present day descendants.

Those earlier names I would add to GR and never any  of someone else's later information.
Spring
Dorset: Ackerman,Bungey,Bunter Chant,Hyle
Islington:Bedford, Eaton,Wilkins
Beds,Fulham: Brazier
Shoreditch: Burton,Coverdale
Essex ,Clerkenwell:Craswell,Cresswell
St.Lukes Middx:Doughty, Dunkley
Andover/IOW/Fulham:Gasser
Fulham: Neal
Bucks:Putnam,Wingrove
Bullwell.Notts:Wilkinson
Clerkenwell/Islington:Wyllie
Herts/ Tottenham/Walthamstow:Young

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 03 December 07 01:06 GMT (UK) »
I removed my tree from GR last year because of this problem. I found my name, and my husband's name appearing on several trees. When I contacted the people concerned (some didn't reply) it seemed that someone I had given access to (she was related to me, distantly) had copied hundreds of names and had then given free access to her tree.

What really upset me was when I found my husband's tree had been put on a public website - and included relatives who certainly hadn't given permission for their details to be used. Some of that information had been given to me in confidence by one of his relatives. As my husband's family had nothing to do with the woman I'd allowed to view my tree it hadn't occurred to me that she would have copied those details, much less pass them on. And once those names were on her tree then GR makes the fact public and anyone interested in that family could contact her and get the entire tree.

It's too late to do anything about it now, but I did remove my large tree from GR and just keep a skeleton online. When people contact me I give them full information on the branch of the tree they are connected to, and no more. It's time consuming but the only way.

I hadn't realised the danger in making your mother's maiden name public. Something else to worry about in the small hours  . . .

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 03 December 07 10:15 GMT (UK) »
I removed my tree from GR last year because of this problem. I found my name, and my husband's name appearing on several trees. When I contacted the people concerned (some didn't reply) it seemed that someone I had given access to (she was related to me, distantly) had copied hundreds of names and had then given free access to her tree.

What really upset me was when I found my husband's tree had been put on a public website - and included relatives who certainly hadn't given permission for their details to be used. Some of that information had been given to me in confidence by one of his relatives. As my husband's family had nothing to do with the woman I'd allowed to view my tree it hadn't occurred to me that she would have copied those details, much less pass them on. And once those names were on her tree then GR makes the fact public and anyone interested in that family could contact her and get the entire tree.

It's too late to do anything about it now, but I did remove my large tree from GR and just keep a skeleton online. When people contact me I give them full information on the branch of the tree they are connected to, and no more. It's time consuming but the only way.

I hadn't realised the danger in making your mother's maiden name public. Something else to worry about in the small hours  . . .

Which are some of the reasons why I wouldn't post my tree on the internet - anywhere. Personally I don't think there should be open access to BMDs either - especially births in, say, the last 75 years.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 03 December 07 16:17 GMT (UK) »
To be honest Carole, one of the reasons I put my tree on GR in the first place was I thought it would be safe if I lost all my computer/backup sticks etc (as in a fire?). I also gave my son access to the tree, so he could add bits from his inlaws from his computer.

I was a bit naive about it - and the ironic thing is, the woman who caused all the trouble didn't give me any new info at all!

Offline Bob2399

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 03 December 07 17:14 GMT (UK) »
One of the things that I try to keep in mind is that we can take all of the precautions in the world and still be one behind someone who's one desire is to do mischief.  Sadly the day that we get ahead of these people, will probably be the day that everything stops
McGrath; Charters; Fenner; O'Hara; Carleton; Sloan; Tobergill Street; Cambria Street; Ghent Street