Author Topic: Royal Household  (Read 37071 times)

Offline avalonlady

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Household
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 11 April 09 05:38 BST (UK) »
Hello, fellow researchers - This is my first posting on Rootschat.

I have a William Irvine who had something of a mystery about him.
He married Mary Ritchey in Ontario in 1883. The official record of their marriage gives his age as 20 ( birth year - 1863), birthplace as Ireland, parents "unknown".
Less than 10 years later, on another document he gives his birth year as 1851 and birthplace as Quebec. He was well regarded in his community of the  Orangeville, Shelburne area as a cabinetmaker. William was an active Mason and an accomplished piper. He travelled in Canada and the US training Masonic and other pipe bands.

The story he told to the family was that he was a Highland Scot. His father , or perhaps his grandfather,  had fallen in love with a young woman of whom his family did not approve. So they ran away,  first to Ireland and then to Canada.
That could be a cover story for an illegitimate child who was born in Ireland and had a Scottish Irvine for his father.

To add to this mystery, in the 1920's a package arrived from the UK. The package contained several genealogical charts , at least one was adorned with holly leaves. According to witnesses there was a signet ring  and other small items in the package. The gist of the letter was that the writer wished to heal some schism in the family. This overture was rejected and the  contents of the package were thrown in the fire. He was heard to say things along the lines of " I wasn't good enough for them then", which made some in the family suspect that he was either born out of wedlock or given up for adoption. Whatever was in the letter affected him very deeply and he would never speak of it.

I would be very grateful for any information about an illegitimate  or orphaned Irvine boy who might have been sent to Canada to be fostered or information about what this schism might have been.

I would be glad to share all the information I have on Irvines in Canada.
Thank-you for reading my posting.
The best of luck with your research,
Elizabeth

Offline stephenhugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Mike Irvine:

I am a descendent of William Nichol and Jane Irvine and if you are still looking for details regarding them I may be able to assist you.

Stephen

Offline DrewCampbell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mike,

Not sure if you are still following this thread - I have only just come across it.

Going back to your initial query - I am a direct descendant of William Campbell/Elizabeth Irvine.
James Campbell - Sov Piper was my gt gt uncle, his brother William my gt grandfather.

I have various bits and pieces of info which may help with gaps.

Drew Campbell

Offline stephenhugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 02:38 GMT (UK) »
Drew:

I have a photo of Elizabeth's mother's gravestone available. If you would like a copy contact details are available on the attachment to this message.

stephenhugh

Offline pegpowell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 17 February 11 01:24 GMT (UK) »
My name is Peggy Powell of Ft. Lauderdale FL. I was intrigued by the familiar names we share in the family genealogy.  I have a Marianne Elizabeth (nee) Hodgson Shakespear in my line, Lady Augusta Low of Clatto, Scotland and the famous Campbell family of The Indian Army as well as the Thackerays.

A Henry Archibald Irvine was the executor of Marianne Shakespear's will in 1887. Do you know if he might be a connection of Lt. Col. Archibald Irvine? Archibald Irvine was mentioned in my ancestor's (William Brumell) will. William served in India with Archibald Irvine, Sir John Low -  Augusta Low's father and the Campbells.

Thank you.

Offline Aotearoa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 07 July 11 05:56 BST (UK) »
The Jane STRINGER (b.13 Apr 1812) who married William Edward RAWLINSON was the daughter of Miles STRINGER (d.1839) of the manor of Effingham East Court, also called Effingham Hill, in Surrey, England, and Jane STEWARD (not Jane CLARK). Miles STRINGER bought Effingham East Court, from the Crown, in 1813, and his daughter Jane was born in London, where Miles formerly lived, at Peckham. Jane STEWARD, Jane STRINGER's mother,  was a sister of one of my great-great-grandfathers, James STEWARD.

Offline pasca56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 17:22 BST (UK) »
Having just discovered a photograph from "illinois grove cemetery" in marshall county, iowa of the headstone for my "william j h irvine" born 18 nov 1830 in scotland, and deceased in 1925 I have found information that a william irvine born on this same date has died and is buried in "rupanyup cemetery' in victoria, australia.  Adding to the confusion, there are two listings of the same person being born on the same date to william irvine and rachel beattie in two different locations in scotland.  can someone possibly shed some light?   any help is much appreciated...

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 05 August 11 17:37 BST (UK) »
Both of the 1830 entries were submitted to the Latter Day Saints site by members, so you must treat them as secondary sources. What you need to do now is to check the original entries from the old parish records, there may have been mistakes made by the submitters.

Lodger
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline irvinemg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 13:44 BST (UK) »
Pasca56

I have direct, from Grt Grandfather's Bible all the family of William Irvine
and Rachel Beattie giving their dates and places of birth.

If I am correct, the IGI only gives the christianings for 2 or 3 of the family
when they lived at Roberton.

Grt Grandfather's brother William was born on the 18 Nov 1830 at
Deanburnhaugh Cottage opposite Milsington Farm. Grt Grt
Grandfather worked for Mr John Scott, until the latter's death in 1829, but
remained there until Mr Charles Scott, ( Sir Walter Scott's nephew ) took
over the lease of Milsington on Whitsunday of 1832.

The family were still at Deanburnhaugh when the next boy, Adam, was born
on the 8 May 1833. The remaining 3 of the family were all born in Rossshire.

Grt Uncle William's tombstone is in bad repair and lies in the Rupanyup cemetery in Victoria Australia

Grt Grt Grandfather William Irvine died on the 7th Dec 1865 and is buried
at Geraldine in New Zealand.

Descendants of another William Irvine that married also at Roberton 2 years earlier in 1817 moved to the USA. I have had communication with this man's Grt Grt Nephew.

Hope this information clears any confusion.

Mike Irvine