Author Topic: hard copy census look up request  (Read 6677 times)

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: hard copy census look up request
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

I'll answer two questions in one here.

I've searched quite comprehensively for James on the OPR on SP (12 pages of baptisms) and have not pinpointed him down.  The Shaw family are my family (We've discussed and searched this before on a PM) but I can't find Elizabeth's birth/baptism either.  I've managed to track down here sisters and a brother and have been relatively successful in finding most of the baptisms on the OPRs again on SP.

What is KKD please?

I'll have to have a look at the parishes to see whereabouts Kirkmabreck is.

I'm hoping Matthew Murray is still about in 1841 and so can try to find this particular family this way.  The name Matthew does not appear in the family tree until my own grandfather's maternal grandfather is included.  Also althoughthe name Janet is definitely include in the Shaw line is not at all in the (my) Murray line.

The only other thing that may be a clue is that (as much as I can recall - it was three year ago when I happened to find it) there is a Sarah Murray in Balmaclellan (I think it was an MI entry and she was a single woman) who may be James mother.  Sarah - James and Elizabeth's daughter - is not found after 1841 and probably died before 1851 - another option to investigate.  She is baptised at Kelton in 1840 and the information is soooo annoyingly brief I wonder if she was actually their own child.  The name is not passed on at all through her siblings' own children.  Margaret is born at Lochrutton but her baptism is not found.

If only these people had the decency years ago to call their child James Fandabidousy Thingamebob Murray instead of just James life would be much easier !!!!!

James' MI is at Kelton (Castle Douglas) and gives details of his family - something I found long after I found other information so just re-enforces my information is correct.  My cousin has been up there recently and has cleaned the gravestone.  His age at death suggests he is born in 1815.  Elizabeth's birth year varies with each census and her death certificate.  If she was born in 1811 then she is a twin to her sister Helen who's baptism is recorded in 1811!

Thank you for your input - more information to investigate.

Yours J.A.
SCOTLAND
KBC interests - Murray and Shaw: Blacklock and Kirkland.
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland
Murray: > 1920 in Longbenton/Forest Hall; Howick 1920's
Elliott: North Nbld 1800's
Straughan/Straphen: North Nbld 1800's and 1910's/1920's Craster.
Henderson(nee Elliott)/Brodie Haydon Bridge 1900's
Bell (nee Elliott) Christon Bank/Embleton 1900's

IRELAND
County Mayo
Mills: Erris Head and Gortmellia
Mullarky: as same
Ginnelly: as same

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi J.A.

KKD is the Chapman code for Kirkcudbrightshire  :) See:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Regions/Codes.html

Kirkmabreck is a rural parish which includes Creetown. My 3 x great grandmother came from there and married 3 x grt grandfather in Kells in 1808 so there was movement between the two parishes.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget - what a very useful site.
SCOTLAND
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland

IRELAND
County Mayo

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi J.A.

I assume that this is the MI that you refer to in Kelton/Castle Douglas:

by William Murray 25.5.1905 70 imo father James Murray d Greenlane 2.7.1843 28 (wife Eliz Shaw d Corbieton 3 1890 75), s. Matthew d Hope-head 17.1.1877 7y 5 mths, w. Agnes Blacklock d Kirkpatrick Durham 28.6. 1910 74 Hugh and Eliz Crawford, twin chn William and Ann jane

However, there is also another interesting MI in the same Kirkyard:
by Helen Shaw 8.12 1866 55 imo husband James Burgess blacksmith d Rhonehouse 25.4. 1845 38, s. James d inf, daughter helen d West Hartlepool 6.1873 29 (h. John Murray), s. William d Kirkcudbright 27.6. 1890 44

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Yup Gadget that is the one.

As for the other entry - that's another vexing piece of information I've tried to unravel - I think this Helen is my Elizabeth's cousin (her sister married somebody else - James Kim/Kimm).  I've had a really good look at that over the last three years too using up quite a few credits on SP.

Thanks again.
J.A.
SCOTLAND
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland

IRELAND
County Mayo