Author Topic: Lookup request for James Clark and Isabella Lawrance  (Read 14780 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request for James Clark and Isabella Lawrance
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 December 07 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Re Joe's find of Rebecca LAURANCE bap 1820, father John (presumably the 18yo Rebecca with 'our' CLARK family in 1841).

Looking at the IGI for other LAURANCE children in Lonmay with father John, and comparing the names with those in Lonmay in FreeCEN, it is probably the LAURANCE family in the 1841 at Craigellie, Lonmay - John not there but family has Eleonora 54, George 25, Eleonora 23, Jean 20, Robert 17, Christian 12.
The following extracted marriage in the IGI possibly is the relevant one:
John LAURANCE m Eleonora SHAND, 21 Sep 1806, Rathen
1851 has, at Nether Tyahesnook Lonmay, George 40 b Rathen (he's in the IGI, b 1811, mother's name actually listed!), mother Eleanora S 65 b Rathen, sister Eleanor 38, sister Jean 28, brother Robert 27, servant (presumably sister) Christian 23 all b Lonmay.

John LAURENCE & Eleonora SHAND had (all extracted entries):
In Rathen
*Isabel LAURENCE bap 8 Jan 1807
*William LAURENCE bap 4 Mar 1810
*George LAWRENCE bap 25 Dec 1811
- George LAWRENCE also listed in Rathen as bap 5 Jan 1812
*Eleanor LAWRENCE bap 2 Nov 1813
- also listed in Lonmay as Helenora LAURANCE bap 22 Nov 1813
*John LAWRENCE bap 1815
*Joseph LAWRENCE bap 4 Jul 1815
- also listed in Lonmay as Joseph LAURANCE, same date
In Lonmay (mother's name not listed)
(*Helenora LAURANCE bap 22 Nov 1813 - see above)
(*Joseph LAURANCE bap 4 Jul 1815 - see above)
*Mary LAURANCE bap 18 Jun 1817
*Rebecca LAURANCE bap 1 May 1820
*Jean LAURANCE bap 20 Apr 1822
*Robert LAURANCE bap 23 Mar 1824
*Elizabeth LAURANCE bap 18 Mar 1826
*Christian LAURANCE bap 26 Mar 1828

All this suggests that 'our' Isabella (LAURANCE) CLARK might be a daughter of John & Eleonora, and thus sister of Rebecca LAURANCE (18 in the 1841 in the CLARK household).

JAP

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 December 07 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Eleanora SHAND probably the following (extracted entry in the IGI):

Eleanora SHAND, bap 25 Dec 1785, Rathen, father Willm. SHAND (mother's name not listed).

There are a number of possible siblings in the batch with father's name William SHAND (from 1781 to 1797) - some list mother as Isabel BRUCE.

The IGI has the following extracted entry:
William SHAND m Isobel BRUCE, 7 Jul 1778, Rathen

Have fun ...

JAP

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 December 07 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again to everyone who has fed back/contributed. I don't know how I would manage without all your help. This has certainly kick started investigating this line of the tree again and JAP your search hints sound excellent I will start adopting these techniques to help me with future searches.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 December 07 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have downloaded the Death Certificate for John Clark and you were spot on (yet again!). Died 20 Mar 1872 from Chronic Bronchitis, at New Pitsligo, Aberdeen. Wife is Isabella Laurance (which ties up nicely with the Laurances you have found  rather than Lawrence). His father was James Clark Crofter and Mother Jane Robertson. His son in law George Smith was present.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Roy, don't get hung up on minor spelling variations - with a name like this you can almost guarantee that you will find it variously spelled as Lawrence, Laurence, Lawrance and Laurance (at least!).  As you can see above, you get three of those spellings (Laurence, Laurance and Lawrence) in the baptisms of children of James L & Eleonora SHAND.   Eleonora's name is also variably spelled - Eleonora at marriage and, at Rathen baptisms, once as Eleanora, once as Elea. and the rest as Eleanor.

There is an LDS submission in the IGI for the marriage of James CLARK & Jane ROBERTSON as 8 Jan 1797 Lonmay.

And submitted entries for children of the couple.

James & Jane seem to be in the 1841 census at Strathstodley, Lonmay - James 74 Farmer, Jane 76, George 37, Mary 26.  They don't seem to be in the 1851 though George CLARK 47 Farmer of 27 acres with 1 Lab and wife Mary 36 are (place given as Strathstooley).

Re informant, son-in-law George SMITH, the IGI has an extracted entry for a marriage of George SMITH & Rebecca CLARK in 1864 in Lonmay.

A search on SP for a death as follows:
LA*R*NCE
El*
Other surname: SHAND
gets just one hit.

Refining the parameters finds:
Elleanora LAWRANCE, other surname SHAND, died 1857, age 71, Lonmay

JAP
PS: I think we could just about put together a genealogy of Lonmay  :D
PPS: I just Googled for Lonmay - only to find that is the home of the ancestors of Elvis PRESLEY  ::)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi JAP

You have been as invaluable as ever. I think you really should take this up professionally as you  definitely have a knack for it. It does look like my ancestors did take over Lonmay! As Lonmay seems such a close community it would be amazing if there was some link somewhere to Elvis Presley. I'll have to dig out my blue suede shoes!

Offline Traceyelizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  I am new to this site and found you be accident while searching for my ancestors in Scotland.  I nearly fell off my chair when I read this post because I am searching for the Lawrences and have got back as far as RATHEN. 

John Laurance is my Great, Great, Great, Great, Grandfather and he married Eleanora Shand in 1806 in Rathen.  Eleanora was born/baptised 25/12/1785 - father William Shand. 

I found birth/baptism entry for Joseph Lawrence on 4th July 1815 (my G.G.G. Grandfather) and also found entry (on one certificate) for George 1811, Eleanor 1813 and John (no date), also another entry for Isabel Laurence 1807. 

I tried searching the Census records and found one for 1851 but it is for George Lawrance (head) can't see age, Eleanora Lawrance, (Mother), Widowed, age 65, and Eleanor Lawrance (sister), unmarried, age 38.  This would mean that Eleanoras husband (John) must have died previous to this date.  All the ages add up so I thought I was onto a winner... BUT you have found another 1851 Census that has George, Eleanora, Eleanor, Jean ?, Robert ? (don't have Jean and Roberts birth/baptism entries, do you have them?) and a servant.   Now i am confused!  is my find for 1851 the wrong one?   Also, what happened to 'John' who appeared on the 'bulk' baptism certificate with George and Eleanor?   

I am completely hooked on this and can't wait for replies!!!

Offline Traceyelizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Me again... what's an IGI?

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 14:56 GMT (UK) »
The IGI is the Mormons website found at www.familysearch.org.

Regards,  Steve

Welcome to Rootschat  :O)