Author Topic: George Bowe 1828/ Margaret Holmes  (Read 26974 times)

Offline davidships

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Bowe 1828/ Margaret Holmes
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 03 January 09 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Good evening.  I have responded to a direct query from David "oddsoc4u", but am copying the salient parts here as there are several family members looking for information about the Bowe family that spent a few years in Brazil.  My interest in this is through my researches into the British communities in Brazil, particularly in the 18-19th centuries.

Incidentally, the weblink to the Brazil message referred to by David is now http://genforum.genealogy.com/brazil/messages/2225.html

It seems to be that George Bowe (Sr) went to Brazil with his wife Catherine to work at the British-owned Gongo Soco gold mine in the state of Minas Gerais as a carpenter.  If it is correct that George was born at Rio de Janeiro in 1828, there is a high likelihood that they had just arrived in Brazil and were en route up-country.  Then two years later Charles was born and they took the opportunity to have them both baptised at Gongo Soco on 25 Dec 1830.

How long did they stay in Gongo Soco.  That's not clear, but they were back in the UK, in London, for the birth of Joseph in 1836.  Were there other children in between?  No sign of another baptism out there, but the records are incomplete (covering 2-12/1830 and 2/1832-4/1834); but any others would have died over there as there seem to be no others who returned to UK. 

Why did they return?  Maybe there was a fixed-term contract, or there were more personal problems of health or just being away from the family in England.  There are no surviving records of the mine's owners, the Imperial Brazilian Mining Association.  Undoubtedly conditions at Gongo Soco were tough and there were later accusations that the company's conditions for the ordinary workers (though not for the British expats) were "modern slavery" (slavery in Brazil was not finally abolished until 1887).

Hoping that this is useful, please let me know if anything more is known of their time there.

best wishes for 2009

David

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi again all

I've just been looking at the Genforum Link.  I've actually lodge a question about Carruthers mentioned there, but I'll start a new thread on that here.

Thank you very much for the information on there and here.  I think it is David? who's contributed.  I always wondered if this post would go the same way as my own Carruthers research!

Could I ask a couple more general questions though?  Could you tell us how you came by the birth information for Brazil?

Also, where can one access company informatiuon for Brzil, and would one have to use Portuguese?

Best wishes

Emms

Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline davidships

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Emms
The birth information on the Bowe family came from the baptism register at Gongo Soco which is preserved in the Anglican Church in Rio de Janeiro along with their own of baptisms, marriages and burials.  I have started transcribing those registers.

I am no expert at all on Brazilian national records - and especially of companies (and I am resident in England at present).  I will look out what I have on the Carruthers over the coming days and respond to your message about them.

best wishes

David

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 12:31 GMT (UK) »
David, thank you very much for the swift reply and for the information.

We'd love anything you have a chance to tell us but don't feel pressurised.

I must say, I'm fascinated by what I'm learning about Brazil and the British out there, and the links to other countries.

Thank you again, David.

That's really appreciated.

Best wishes

Emms

PS I'm realising, that though I replied to a point on this strand, I'm distracting from the original question, though right from the start I wondered if they would meet up.  I might start another strand.  I'll have a think about the best way to do it, and also have a look at what we've got and see if anyone else's names appear such as Bowe.
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline rocke87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 29 November 09 04:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
Just another link to the George Bowe tree in Australia crusing by and reading the replies well done to all for geting the info and sharing with us all thats what its all about
I dont have any info that is not already here but if you require the line that i have will glady share.
I come from george Phillip bowe. We know George snr and George jnr came to Australia what happened to Catherine did she stay behind with the other children ?
 I have not one but two links to the bowe family so its like a big bow tie in the tree and the links come from my mothers and fathers side didnt I have a time getting my head around that.
George phillip had a daughter Elizabeth married three times her first one to william david Prentice
They had a daughter Margaret louisa Prentice married to Arthur durston they had daughter my grandmother
The second line allthough in a round about way by marriage through to Elizabeth bowe again due to her sons John james bowe prentice marriage to Jannett fisher Slocombe.
What I do have is a picture taken about 1895-96 of the Prentice family which includes George phillip bowe and his daughter Elizabeth Prentice (bowe) and her son John james bowe prentice if anyone wants a copy will glady email it to you.

Offline Jeff Bowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 29 November 09 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

There is a death recorded for a Catherine Bowe in London in 1860, I've recently requested a copy cert to see if it will provide a maiden name or informat details to link to George Bowe.
I would love to see a photo of GP Bowe, his brother CW Bowe was my GG grandfather.

Cheers

Offline rocke87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 29 November 09 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeff
If you want a copy sent direct to you I need an email addy
thanks

craig

Offline rocke87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 29 November 09 22:03 GMT (UK) »
oooppsss the oldest male is GP BOWE
older female is his daughter Elizabeth and holding her son John jame bowe Prentice

Offline Bowejm

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
George Bowe father of George Philip and Charles Wm. Bowe
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 15:47 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the life and family (if any) of George Gonyie Bowe (b. 23 Nov 1799).  He was baptised at Shilbottle, Northumberland, England on 16 Nov 1800, but given the gap between birth and baptism he may well have been born elsewhere.  (His DOB was recorded at the time of the baptism.)  His father was an officer in the army and probably spent much of the previous five years serving around the Mediterranean.  George's age does not seem to match the ages for George Bowe (the joiner) in the UK census returns, but how accurate are these?  Does anyone know what age George Bowe (the joiner) was when he died in Australia?  Does it tally with a birth in late 1799?

Looking at the census returns and the GRO indexes, George Philip Bowe's younger brother, Joseph, had a son called Joseph Gonyie Bowe and this seems more than coincidental to me.  The name Gonyie comes from George Gonyie Bowe's mother's family.  I know nothing of her, except her name (Issidora Joakis Gonyie).  As for the name itself, it also appears as Gonea or Gongue in the GRO index entries for Joseph G. Bowe, so I'm not sure what the correct spelling is.

Finally, have any anecdotal stories about George's background passed down through the family that might help to determine if the two men are the same person?  I see there's a reference to George Bowe being an earl or related to royalty.  If George Bowe (the joiner) and George Gonyie Bowe are one and the same then there is substance to this story, although he was not a member of the British nobility fallen on hard times!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jim Bowe