Author Topic: How many Convicts are you descended from?  (Read 35831 times)

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How many Convicts are you descended from?
« Reply #135 on: Thursday 29 January 15 06:51 GMT (UK) »
My goodness ..... and I was thrilled when I finally managed to confirm ONE convict ancestor on board the Lucy Davidson arriving in 1829.  And stereotypically her crime was stealing silk ..... but not a hankerchief - 'twas reams of the stuff!

Her convict indent states that her mother "Ellen Davies" was already in the colony having allegedly arrived/transported on the Princess Charlotte.  Problem is that there is no "Ellen Davies" listed on the Princess Charlotte in 1827 (1824 trip no good - male convicts).  So there is a possibility of one another ancestral convict in my DNA!
cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ben170292

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Sunday 01 February 15 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Today I found my first Convicts.

Jonathan Harris, He was convicted of stealing from his master, He was transported on the Marquis of Hastings to Sydney.

Another is Mary Ann Squire who ended up marrying Jonathan, She was transported to Tasmania on board Anna Maria.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Monday 02 February 15 02:47 GMT (UK) »
a comment on an earlier post>>>>>>

I am fairly certain that Ben Hall did marry Bridget Walsh or "Biddy" as she was affectionately known. not a Kelly related person. Biddy did end up moving in with someone else only after ol Pottinger had distroyed the place at Sandy Creek which included letting the cattle perish from lack of water......  gawd another goldseeker trying to connect themselves to our heritage,,,, struth.   Well I hope u sent her on her way

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Monday 02 February 15 02:55 GMT (UK) »
a comment on an earlier post>>>>>>

I am fairly certain that Ben Hall did marry Bridget Walsh or "Biddy" as she was affectionately known. not a Kelly related person. Biddy did end up moving in with someone else only after ol Pottinger had distroyed the place at Sandy Creek which included letting the cattle perish from lack of water......  gawd another goldseeker trying to connect themselves to our heritage,,,, struth.   Well I hope u sent her on her way

Yes, Ben Hall did marry Bridget Walsh.  That marriage was 29 Feb 1856, and the NSW BDM index shows it as Benjamin HALL and Bridget WALSH,  and gives the early church code as "LG"  which indicates a Roman Catholic Ceremony,  Bathurst, Kelso, St Michael's, Co Bathurst

Family search has it as Banjamin HALL and Bridget Walsh.   https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTZJ-HZD 

I suspect the apparent connection to the Kelly Gang is simply that Ben Hall is buried in the same cemetery as Ned Kelly's sister Kate. 

Cheers,  JM 

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 

Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.

Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Monday 02 February 15 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Being born and bred in South Australia, it always seemed very unlikely I would have convict ancestors. That is, until I started delving more seriously into my maternal grandmother's mysterious family. It seems I am descended from 2 convicts, both of whom were transported to Tasmania, and both ended up in South Australia. I have no facts, but it is very possible they knew (of) each other, as one's son "married" the other's daughter. Throw in several Irish spouses, and it makes an extremely interesting, and difficult, line to research.
And I never used to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.......  ;)

Edited: I nearly forgot my wife's seemingly only convict ancestor. Her 4x great grandfather's brother was transported for forgery, and fraud. Now if only I can connect this family to the respectable family of the same name mentioned at his trial; but they claimed not to know him!
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Carrington, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Bentham, Holloway, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Yorks, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Thursday 05 February 15 11:13 GMT (UK) »
What's interesting to me is that many descendants in my trees ended up in places where there was no transportation eg South Australia and New Zealand, so even folk in those places can claim convict ancestry.

I have 1 definite and maybe 1 more. My son has mine and 1 on his mothers side.

' its just not talked about' 

I have done some Trove searches and placed my ancestors ( Father/Son) on a property.

Read a book on ''Early S.A Rural Pioneers '' and reading on H.E. Jones where I found the Trove mention.... '' Jones only employed Ticket of Leave men on his property apart from 1''  and that 1 wasn't Richard or Charles   ;D

Its interesting now that generation Jones' are getting over that hill we embrace our convicts more readily than our grandparents

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Thursday 05 February 15 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I've always thought it was just so easy for folks to cover up their history when they came to Australia in the 18th/19th centuries - as convicts or free folks.

Trish

Yes. The Richard I mentioned may well not be a Blacksell but a Blackstone or Blackson or ???? It has stumped a few minds who have gone in search.

And how do we then weave a different name - not just poor phonetics but deliberate deception - into our own understanding of who we are?  Let the philosophy start
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072