Author Topic: How many Convicts are you descended from?  (Read 48079 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How many Convicts are you descended from?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 05 December 07 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Di!!  :o :o :o

I think you take the prize!  ;D

MarieC

Wow - I think so too - and pre 1988  the prize was always given to the free settlers - amazing how things change & the convicts are at last recognised for what they gave to Australia (whether willingly or not)

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 05 December 07 10:00 GMT (UK) »
More than happy to share Jenn,

What would you like - the Chimney sweep who stole a handkerchief and was sentenced to Life, or maybe the guy who tried to "rip off" the Bank of England or there are lots who stole livestock - horses, chickens etc. No murderers or anything really bad though  ::)

The Irish are the ones who are the biggest challenge as I don't know what some of them did  :( (probably just being Irish was enough!!)

You're quite right Trish - we are (and should be) very proud of what the early "settlers", convict or free, did for this great country.

Di

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robert Coble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • crazy !!!! Crazy !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 05 December 07 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
My Convict came out to N.S.W. in 1833 which in my G G Grandfather there and his brother was transported to Tas in 1940 and his cousin was transported to Tas as well in 1846 the went to South Australia then to Vic to NSW there them they are all over Australia now. LOL
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Coble or Covell, Coule Australia, Canada, USA  @ England.
Barker Australia @ England
Walker Australia, England @ South America.
Bristol Australia @ England.
Nash Australia @ England.

Offline Rochdalian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 05 December 07 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Can't compete with Di but my wife has 3 direct  and 7 who you may call in laws as they married into various branches of the family as it expanded.  All in Tassie but most ended up in Vic.

Bob
Pearson - Yorkshire
Flinders - Notts/Lincs/Lyon
Dearden - Rochdale
Grindrod - Rochdale
Reynolds - Staffs/Cornwall
Tortoishell - Staffs
Cooper, Freeman, Parnell, Love, Hargreaves - Rutland
Maslen - Wiltshire/Victoria, Australia
Kenny - Germany
Edwards - Greater London/Victoria, Australia
Bartlett, Gee, Padbury - Northants
Rampoley, Allom - Suffolk
Detlefsen, Herse, Iversen, Boisen/Boysen - Denmark
Xylander - Germany
Dundon - Co Limerick
Mullins - Devon

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 05 December 07 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I have convicts in my tree but they weren't transported!

One branch, father, mother & three daughters, all killed a bloke in 1882.  All but one of the girls, who was 13 at the time, were convicted of manslaughter and put into Norwich Castle Prison.

There are so many more details known about those that broke the law etc.

Teddy
 ;)
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 06 December 07 07:10 GMT (UK) »

I have heard of families descended from up to 8 convicts but these were rare

I'm extremeley lucky, being one of those rare direct blood descendants of 8 convicts;

1) Sarah Dorset "Lady Julianna" (2nd Fleet) 1789
2) Mary Harrison "Mary Ann" (2nd/3rd Fleet - debatable) 1791
3) Edward Robinson "Admiral Barrington: (3rd Fleet) 1791
4) George Smith "Fortune" 1806
5) Mary Clark "Woodman" 1823
6) Wlliam McCready ""Recovery" 1823
7) Thomas Sarjeant "Maquis of Hastings" 1827
8) Stephen Williams "Eleanor" 1831

plus quite a few more who married into the family of direct blood ancestors. Also, lucky enough to have Robert Watson, a 1st Fleet crewman abaord the "Sirius".

Though in seeing Di's response of having 17 convict descendants, she is certainly a rarity!

Family Trees are an amazing thing. I compare my convict ancestors with other ancestors on the same family tree level. Some of these include Sirs, Countesses, Reverends, high ranking military men, and extremely wealthy businessmen. Its an incredible comparison, but I would never swap any of them - rich/poor or gentry/convict!

Les

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 06 December 07 09:25 GMT (UK) »
I agree that all our convicts are to be prized just as much as the more virtuous and famous in our trees.  I like to say that England exported all her most enterprising citizens, and gave Australia a flying start!

I too have a crewman as well - Joshua Bentley on the "Lady Penrhyn" of the First Fleet, who fathered a child by a convict woman.  The child was the first white child baptised in Australian waters.  (Well, I'm almost certain he's mine - everything points that way but I haven't got that final bit of definitive proof!)

MarieC

Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Bellejazz

• I have turned off my notifications
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 06 December 07 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Lady Di & Les your respective numbers of 17 & 8 are very impressive!

I agree that all our convicts are to be prized just as much as the more virtuous and famous in our trees.  I like to say that England exported all her most enterprising citizens, and gave Australia a flying start!

;D

- Belinda.
Boake Carter: Dublin Ire. - Williamstown VIC Corbet(t): Northern Ire. - Creswick VIC Croak/Croke/Croker: Kilkenny Ire. - Creswick Hob(b)el: Salzgitter Germany - Talbot VIC Mulford: London UK - Williamstown VIC Mitchell: Kildare Ire. - Lilydale VIC Orenshaw: Uttoxeter UK - Creswick Rischmuller: Gottingen Germany - Ballarat VIC Smedley: Derbyshire UK - Kilmore VIC Wassmann: Salzgitter Ward: Tipperary Ire - Creswick VIC.

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 06 December 07 23:44 GMT (UK) »

I have 5 convict ancestors who are direct blood relatives - all on my father's side of the family. My mother's line were all free settlers.

Margaret Stocker 'Indispensible' 1796  married Isaac Cornwell 'William and Ann' (3rd fleet) 1791.
Jane Ison (Lloyd) 'Surprize' 1794 married William Eaton 'Admiral Barrington' (3rd fleet) 1791.
Richard Clough 'Portland' 1832.

All settled in the Richmond/Windsor area of NSW.

Les, I wonder whether my William and your Edward were aquainted?
Di, 17 is truely amazing!  :D

Margaret :)

All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

ARCHIBALD/ADAMS/BROWN/GORDON/WILSON/Midlothian
CADDY/COPPIN/DENITHORNE/GEDYE/GIDDEY/GROWDEN/THOMAS/Cornwall
CAREY,CARRÉ Huguenot/France/Kent/NZ/NSW
CARMICHAEL/GRAHAM/CRAMB/STEWART/Perth
CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
MATTHEWS/Lon/Sry/Oxf/Glouc/NSW
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx