Author Topic: Charles Ernest LINDGREN  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Josh P

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Ernest LINDGREN
« on: Wednesday 05 December 07 08:07 GMT (UK) »
My great-uncle Charles Ernest LINDGREN, born Kalimpong, India in 1914, presumed now deceased, educated at Dr. Graham's Homes, married Lorna Lucinda Carmen KRAAL at Darjeeling.  They had one daughter, Maxine,
The family moved from India to England in the 1950s, but yearned for life in New Zealand.  They 'disappeared' and have never been heard of again.
Anyone come across this family, or reference to them in New Zealand?

Moderator note: I've removed some dates from this because of possible living persons. Please PM Josh with any comments and questions. :D

Online spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Ernest LINDGREN
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 December 07 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josh,

There are two NZ mariages: a Catherine Amelia Augu(?) LINDGREN married John Oscar SELGREN in 1879 and a Charles Frederick LINDGREN married Clariss Maud PULSFORD IN 1922.

A Charles LINDGREN is mentioned in the book Svenskara I Nya Zeeland by Sten AMINOFF (p.274) which deals with Swedish emigration to NZ. The same title has references to Frederick, Eric Julius, Christian, and Ernest Lindgren. And there's this...

1917 Alien Record:
Charles LINDGREN
Born: Sweden
Years in NZ: 3
Place: Onehunga AKD
Page: 407
Again, there are similar records for Ernest, and for Julius and William Lindgren.

Regards, riley
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline Josh P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 December 07 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for posting these details, Riley.  I greatly appreciate your interes  and thank you for taking the time to add the info.

My Swedish Lindgren ancestors left Gothenburg for England and Brazil at the close of the 18th-century, one of whom was my great-uncle Charles's great-grandfather, Adolphus.  Uncle Charles's father left London for India in the 1870s to work in tea; Charles's mother was a princess of the Lepcha tribe, from the Darjeeling District, in what was then part of the kingdom of Sikkim.

I still hope that the truth about Charles's and his family's disappearance to the Antipodes (or perhaps they ended up elsewhere?) might one day come to light.

Best wishes,
Josh.

Offline 21274

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 February 09 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Called Oscar by any chance?
Beechey
Austin
Harding