Author Topic: Reid, Ritchie, Tennant & Lovell - COMPLETED  (Read 26801 times)

Offline SASHAR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reid, Ritchie, Tennant & Lovell - COMPLETED
« on: Wednesday 05 December 07 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hoping that I can get some help with searching for the family of Adam REID b.c. 1825, place unknown, but possibly in the Kinross area.
Adam was in Sth Australia by Sept, 1854 when he married.  His occupation is listed as Shoemaker, Shepherd.
Adam married a Mary Kenneally/Kinneally/Kennedy and their children were named Helena, Mary Jane, Michael, Catherine Agnes, Adam Tennant, Annie & Sarah Ann.   I'm not sure if the Scottish hand down names throughout the family but thought it might help if I add them.
The daughters Catherine and Helena both named children with the middle name of LOVELL, so I'm presuming that this name is connected back through the family.
It's also possible that the name TENNANT is.   Another surname that is used as a Christian name is RITCHIE.   None of these Surnames seem to connect to the family once they were in Australia so they must be from earlier generations
I know that isn't very much information but I'm hoping the surnames may all connect somehow.
I really don't know much about Mary Kenneally's family and I suppose it is possible that all these Surnames connect with that side. 
I'm hoping that someone may know where to look or advise me if there is any possibility of researching further back.
Many thanks,  Sashar
Researching:
Ireland: Farrelly, Brady, Bourke/Burke & poss Smyth/Smith, Connor
Scotland: Paterson, MacGregor, Graham
Derbyshire:  Richardson, Bryer
Germany/Prussia:  Hein, Nuske, Milich, Baum
Australia: Farrelly, Paterson, Richardson, Hein, Milich, Smith/Smyth

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Reid, Ritchie, Tennant & Lovell
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 December 07 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sashar

The only baptism around then that I can see in Kinross is

24 July 1825. Portmoak, Kinross. Parents are David Reid and Mary Barclay.

I see that they are on the 1841 census living in Vane, Portmoak (see Freecen)  I'll see if he is still there in 1861* as a test.

Gadget  :)

* he's still there in 1861 so he's not yours - back to drawing board  :-\

There's one in Ross and Cromarty - could the info have become confused? Kinross and R & C are a fair distance apart  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline SASHAR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 December 07 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
Thankyou for your prompt help.  I'm not exactly sure of Adam Reid's place of birth but in trying to match to some Sth Australian records there was an Adam Reid who came from Kinross.
It's quite possible I'm way off the mark as you suggested.
I appreciate that at least 1 Adam Reid is now eliminated - thankyou.
I would be grateful if you could check the other 2 out, even if to eliminate them as well.
Regards,  Sashar
Researching:

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 December 07 11:27 GMT (UK) »
The other possibles are:

22 Nov 1829, Cromarty, Ross & Crmarty. Parents - Alexander Reid and Elizabeth Urquhart ( I'm putting this in because it sounds similar not for location! )

7 July 1831, Kilrenny, Fife (more plausible). Parents - Henry Reid and Janet Bennet

Strangely, no Reads came up despite me searching on Re*d  ???

Gadget

PS - Have you checked up on his wife's line - any  first names and surnames would be useful
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 December 07 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Sashar  :)

The Ross and Cromarty one is not appearing in the 1861. He could have died rather than emigrated though  :-\

Also, the records might be missing or the family could have been Roman Catholic or other non-conformist. No baptism records would show in this case.

Have you looked for any ships lists or a death certificate which might give more information?

Regards

Gadget

Offline SASHAR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 December 07 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
Unfortunately when Adam & Mary married their father's names were not recorded.   The spelling of Mary's surname on records in Aust. is anything from Kennedy, Kinneally, Kenneally, Kenneely, Kanely, etc
Adam & Mary's daughter Catherine is my ancestor and she married a Thomas Stuart SMTIH in Sth Australia.  Her children's names were Sarah Ann, William Henry James Reid, Mary Lovell, Maud Cecily, Catherine May, Thomas Terrence, Peter James, Terence Reid, Vera Lenor & Cicely Lenor.
I know that the names Cecily, Thomas, Terence & Peter all come from the Smith side of the family.   Sarah Ann, William Henry James Reid, Mary Lovell, Catherine May, are possibilities from the REID or KINNEALLY side.
I'll double check but I don't think SA death records give the father's names either.
Not much help is it!
Did Alex & Elizabeth, Henry & Janet reapper in the 1861 Census with an Adam?
Ah! - I see you've answered this already.   Does the whole family disappear or just Adam?    I'll check SA records for those parents if they all have vanished.
Regards,  Sashar
Researching:

Offline SASHAR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 December 07 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
I've checked Adam's death record and he died at 73yrs of age in 1898, so he should have been born c.1825.   There were no relatives mentioned and the informant was the local Police Constable.  He died at his residence.
I apologise that the birth date is now 4yrs earlier than I originally thought.
I've also checked one of the BISA cd's but I couldn't see anything that fits from your previous finds.
It's always possible that Adam could have lived in another State of Australia before coming to Sth Australia.   I will have to check that out as well.
The SMITH side of the family were Catholic, so it's quite possible that is going to be another stumbling block.
Really appreciate  your time in helping me,  many thanks,  Sashar
Researching:

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 December 07 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sashar,

Just a couple of quick questions.

Are you quite sure that Adam REID came from Scotland?  And if so, how  :)

What information do you have about the Adam REID in SA who came from Kinross?  This might just help to discount him - or not, as the case may be ...

Regards,

JAP 

Offline SASHAR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 December 07 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi JAP,
Thanks for your questions.
I'm not sure where my Adam REID originally came from, I haven't found anything in Sth Aust. records so far to give me his origin.
The only Adam Reid that I could find in the correct time frame was the 1st one that Gadget also found, at Kinross, but Gadget has quickly discounted him.
I was hoping if it was my Adam, the other surnames may have tied in.   I have found those surnames in old Scottish records so thought there may be a chance.   I'm presuming the Kinneally/Kenneally name was probably Irish and haven't as yet checked to see if my other surnames of interest were popular Irish surnames.
Don't know that I have anywhere else I can go from here - regards, Sashar

Researching: